• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trends for Marvel Price Variants

42 posts in this topic

So, from the sounds of it, the "moisture-damaged" books didn't pan out? If not, I'm sorry to hear it. Can the two of you let us know what the end result was? It was killing me to not bid on any of those.

Here was an email I sent Harry and Glenn regarding the condition of the books. I may have been overly harsh towards the end of the email and I regret it now that i had such a nice email follow up from the "doc" - please leep in mind that once I decided that these were not CGC potentials, I "graded" them sitting at the computer typing as I noted flaws, so I'd call it an informal, quick overview of condition 1st grade is grade in auction description, 2nd grade was my quick glance over grade:

"I got them today as well - I'll try to break it down: $8.31 shipping charged; $2.26 postage and maybe be $1.50 - $2 on the recycled paper filled padded envelope - 11 books back to back alternating, sandwiched between 2 priority box cut outs for support and taped .

I'm in the middle of doing inventory on these again for trades with Glenn so I'll just give you my initial view before comparing with my "best" copy already in hand. BTW, I had a pleasant email as well with the "Doc" and seemed like a good person - for the prices I paid - I will not be returning any as I'm sure they are worth more to me as trade bait and upgrades. I'll be leaving positive feedback as well but I'll stay away from calling her an overgrader - I think she really is just an amateur at comic selling and getting rid of a collection as expediently as possible. She probably is willing to work out refunds if it will come to that. BTW - no damage occurred in transit as the books were secure and got to me as she had intended

Conan 63 VF = FN+ at best due to heavy spinal dings and not a very resilient book - it kind of flops when held under scrutiny in my hands. tiny nick on bottom edge; white part of back and logo is clean white; top edge of front cover shows some color fading

Conan 64 VF/NM = FN IMO, gloss intact but way too heavy spinal ding damage and one of the "creases" is really a 1mm slice into the book! Lower left corner seems like it was dropped on it prior to packing; back white area is clean; black distributor ink overspray; too much impact damage on edges and spine to move it into the VF range

DD 134 GD/VG = accurate assesment because of the warping due to moisture and drying and mold stain dominating bottom 1/7th of the comic; irony is less spinal damage than the above 2 - w/o the moisture damage, it would easily be in VF range

DD 135 GD/VG = accurate grade - only flaw is moisture damage which includes dirtying the back white parts of cover with beginnings of foxing; warped comic due to presence of moisture then drying process; without the moisture damage the book clears VF potential

Eternals 1 VG/FN = GD- only because of the f'd up lower right corner - dogeared and torn

Marvel Adventure 4 FN = FN; UR corner creases that break color and lower RC where evidence of water stain is

Marvel Double Feature 16 VF - FN/VF at best - too many minor spinal dings; ink rubbing off top pat of spine from staple to top edge; feeling of moisture damage

Marvel premiere 30 FN = FN; moisture damage minimal but still present; spinal dings and color fades

MArvel two in one 17 VF = FN due to 3 inch crease running diagonally from top edge to right edge on the upper right corner; clean white back

MAster of kung fu 42 VF = FN; LRC 1 inch crease diagonal from bottom to right edge; ink rubbing off top right corner; distributor ink overspray like the rest

Thor 248 VF - VF- IMO; ulc has ink rubbing and printers "smudge"; no creases and minimal spinal flaws

hope this helps you out - unless I have a GD copy that needs a slight upgrade, $1 or $2 copies, or she has cat4/5 books, I will not be buying variants here again..."

Doc and I came to a friendly conclusion on the comics I won via eBay. I am returning a number and keeping The Planet of the Apes and the Conan 65. I aassume she would be open to any bids, so I'll give my assesment here and you can e-mail her if you are interested.

spider@lowcountry.com

Son of Satan 4 Sold as VF: Comic had 4 or 5 wide reaching tranverse stress marks, none breaking color. It has a chip of about 1/16 inch out of the TR corner. It also has a non color breaking crease of about 1/2 inch on the BR corner. I give it a "Fine"

Skull 5 sold as VF/NM. Comic has a crease that enters about mid top cover and abrupty ends after about 2 inches, it breaks color. It has a drop ding on the botton spine. Back Bottom Corner has a 1 inch fold that shows about halfway through the pages going in. Also has a mildly weak spine from reading perhaps and some stress, of course. I gave it a 6.5 but suspect it would possibly grade as klow as 5.0 or 5.5.

Inhumans 6 Sold as VF-Comic has a small but wicked 3/8 inch crease on teh FRBC that breaks big color. Also it has impact crease on TL spine with a series of spider web creases. A few spine marks as well. I give it a 6.5 to 7.0.

Etarnals 1(a) Sold as VF. This was probably the best of the batch. Still it had decent size impact crease areas on top and bottom, though neither broke color. One might not actually be a corner ding but rather a bend. As was the case with most of these, the book felt a bit "limp". I give it 7.0 to 7.5. Best page color of the batch as well. Neat Stuff would be offering this for 20-30, I imagine....

Eternals 1(2) Sold as VF. In contrast to the first Eternals, this might have been the worst of the batch. It had a half length crease on the front center cover as well as numerous impact marks on the cover. Additionally it had 1/2 inch+ color breaking creases on top and bottom outside edge. Front cover was almost wavy due to the transverse stress coming away from the spine. I give it a VG.

Conan 62 sold as VF. This was decent. It had a 1/4 + inch color breaking crease on top right corner.It also had impact crease on top of spine. Transvers stress marks as well as one good "reading ding" on outside edge. Color of pages was good, off-whire or better. I give it a 7.0. If you are a Conan fan and need this one, you might like this one, especially if you are on a tighter budget.

Based on my analysis of 8 comics, I am surprised that the grading I saw posted here was as generous as it was. I blame my situation on myself slightly for the same old wishful thinking as always. You could substitute me for Charley Brown trying to get Lucy to hold the football. I keep thinking "this time will be different." Of course it never is.

On another note related to the topic I see Darths Hulk 201 caught the opening bid at about 35. Get another 10 for the slab and that is a respectable price. I'd not be surprised to see it hit $50, or more.