• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about single staple comics

24 posts in this topic

Pov is easily confused, but we still love him. :blush::P

Regarding the Spidey book in question, I thought this was an excercise to hone your restoration skills, so the question about leaving the "integrity of the book" as it is, or doing "unnecessary damage" to the book by adding a staple is a bit much. The book is not a good resto candidate to start with, so adding a staple as part of all the other work you will be doing seems in line with extensive work.

It is not unheard of to add a staple where none was before for the sake of aesthetics,or functionality. Since it was intended to originally have 2 staples it is more a matter of personal preference then right or wrong when restoring a comic.

If this was a client book it would of course be their decision as to what was done. The restorer can recommend what they feel should be done, or not done but ultimately it is the clients decision because our hobby is driven by a different ruleset then most other forms of conservation fields. Conservation minded folk always opt to leave the item as unworked on as possible with the only goal being conserving the item, even to the point of following a code of ethics which dictates how an item is worked on. Whereas people in our hobby typically want to try and recreate an item completely to achieve the highest possible apparent grade.

I personally would rather our hobby adopt a more overall conservative approach towards restoratrion, and if asked I would always recommend a conservative path, but have found so far most collectors think differently.

I still say add the staple to the Spidey book, it is good practice for future work. Be it reinserting original staples through an interior that had staple area reinforcement. Or creating new holes on a cover that was piecefilled at the spine.

Pov is easily confused, but we still love him. :blush::P

Oh cripes - yet another Pov debacle. First not getting Scott's post and now misreading this post. The sad thing is the past few days I have not imbibed. Maybe this is penance for such an affront. Using terms like "such an affront' indicates I have probably imbibed tonight (a nice Tuscan red).

So ANYWAYZ - Kenney, I responded as I did because I thought it was Master who posted that and, as he is now in the experimental stages of restoration, I wanted to share with him my own percpetions...but again to someone getting into restoration. A good restorer really needs a foundation not only in technique but understanding the "less is more" concept which I know you do adhere to.

I confess I was amazed to realize it was YOU who said that which I quoted, but now that yopu have explained it I understand from where you were speaking. Still the same Kenney.

But I WILL advise Master to really consider what I did say and to add those concepts to his own understanding and take on restoration.

Dang - the bottle is empty and it is only 9:22. Do I walk a block to replenish or just run on fumes? (:

On this Spidey I am going to try some different experiements which might mean I will do more than less but let me say this. I learn from my mistakes and now try to be as conservative as I think you all would advise me to be. Because I do need to practice all skills I will CT a book that may not need it but the book isn't valuable or special. I certainly wish I didn't CT them valuable key books I did a while back but I have learned my lesson. :)