• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Ethical Question from Baltimore

151 posts in this topic

I find some of my largest and best purchases towards the end of the con...books that I buy for resale and books for my personal collection. They just sit on dealer's walls in plain sight for most of the convention.

It really is as simply as doing a little bit of leg work and digging.

What are you digging for if the books are sitting on dealer's walls in plain sight? :slapfight:

Hippie.

:cloud9:

Where were you in Columbus last weekend?

???

Negative. I had Colts tickets so I was going to be out Sunday anyway. pirate cancelled Friday (no hotel) because Barry Kitson didn't show, so I was left with a "drive over, drive back" on Saturday. Since I couldn't get any sketches done, I bagged it. I missed you guys, though.

I find some of my largest and best purchases towards the end of the con...books that I buy for resale and books for my personal collection. They just sit on dealer's walls in plain sight for most of the convention.

It really is as simply as doing a little bit of leg work and digging.

What are you digging for if the books are sitting on dealer's walls in plain sight? :slapfight:

The was the leg work part. Sober mind you....

:makepoint:

Hippie.

:cloud9:

Where were you in Columbus last weekend?

???

Negative. I had Colts tickets so I was going to be out Sunday anyway. pirate cancelled Friday (no hotel) because Barry Kitson didn't show, so I was left with a "drive over, drive back" on Saturday. Since I couldn't get any sketches done, I bagged it. I missed you guys, though.

Bummer. Not a big showing to be sure. Next year maybe....

oh, is that what we're talking about? people who get into conventions early with the thought of taking all the good deals only to flip them later to people who either didn't or couldn't get in early? or who show up early to get a special deal that somehow, some way isn't available to "the masses?"

just want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing here

that all seems familiar for some reason.

can't place it, but it seems familiar.

This shows me that either *all the good stuff* was not sold before the show to dealers or that people are too lazy to look through it over the weekend.

------------

i think this is all a matter of opinion. i think people making this complaint are people who go to a show to buy 1 - 3 awesome books. i agree, some of my best purchases of "good" stuff have been at the end of the show. i tend to prefer the start of the show for cheaper stuff to locate the better stuff, but the end of the show is a good time to load up on the o.k. stuff in the cheap-o boxes at a much better discount than available at the start of the show, like cutting a deal with a dollar book guy and getting a 300+ long box of dollar books for $150 or whatever. they might not cut that deal at the start of the show (depending on what kind of stuff they have, of course)

oh, is that what we're talking about? people who get into conventions early with the thought of taking all the good deals only to flip them later to people who either didn't or couldn't get in early? or who show up early to get a special deal that somehow, some way isn't available to "the masses?"

just want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing here

that all seems familiar for some reason.

can't place it, but it seems familiar.

This topic isn't a new one and has been discussed before...

Jim

I'm all for complaining about anything and everything, but I don't see this as a big problem either. I'm more annoyed with Mile High chuck vacuuming up 12 long boxes of choice dollar books (so that he can have copy # 379 of Avengers 180 in his inventory) than some dealer to dealer discount on a $1200 book they wouldn't let me in on!

I'm all for complaining about anything and everything, but I don't see this as a big problem either. I'm more annoyed with Mile High chuck vacuuming up 12 long boxes of choice dollar books (so that he can have copy # 379 of Avengers 180 in his inventory) than some dealer to dealer discount on a $1200 book they wouldn't let me in on!

Even as reading material a buck a book is a great deal..