• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dale Roberts' Baltimore Con report

46 posts in this topic

OK, haven't done this in a while, and seems there is lots of interest about what went on at the convention.

Got in Friday at just about 11:45. Pretty easy load in which is always a bonus. Probably about 1:00 when I am done unloading the van, and probably another hour getting tables set up in the right order, boxes in the right order, display rack up. Go to take a quick look around the room, but didn't see much, as several guys were either still setting up or already done and gone.

Saturday - Show opens and lots of people milling around, and very soon, the buying starts. Good and steady almost all day long. Lots of 100 - 200.00 sales, and a few larger ones. Also lots of people offering me books which is unusual, but generally nothing that I want to pick up. Lots of boardies around saying hello as well. All in all a fun day. After the show, Tupenny, myself and Tyson Schneider go to PF Changs, and luckily (with a little help from Bill) didn't have to wait but for about 15 minutes. Talked to a few other guys who waited almost 2 hours. Yikes.

Sunday - Don't really know what to expect. Ravens game starting at about 1:00, so my guess is a busy morning and a slow afternoon. Turns out I was wrong on both counts. I didn't hardly sell anything till noon, and then the afternoon had a couple of little rushes(most of which was handled by Bill), as I was over talking to Ricky and running a couple of errands. Right before the end of the con, Roy and Lou came over. Not in time to shop :frustrated:, but with time to talk. Really enjoyed talking to both of them. You better be at my booth early at NY though :baiting:. Also got to sit down and talk to Foolkiller and Sal for quite a while and me and Bedrock hung out all weekend.

Overall, a decent show. Unspectacular, but solid sales. From my experience, Baltimore either doesn't have a very good vintage comic market. The crowd was really good, but seems to be focused upon the guests. Of all the major cons, sales are consistently lower(smaller) at this show than just about any other, which is a shame because I like the show and the promoter does a nice job with set-up and getting guests.

One interesting note, Matt Nelson was pro-screening within eye shot of me. Very busy on Saturday, including several board members and not what I would call the usual suspects.

Thanks to Tupenny and Doc for the help at the booth.

Noteworthy sales

Raw

Action - 437, 443

Adventure #284, 291

Amazing Spider-man #61, 63, 84, 135, 137, 177, 178, 179

Avengers #96

Batman #252

Captain Marvel #33

Daredevil #36, 43, 131, 157, 158

Doctor Strange - 173

Doom Patrol #112

Fantastic Four #60, 74

GI Combat - 131, 135, 155, 134

Green Lantern #59

House of Mystery - 219

House of Secrets - 105, 112

Incredible Hulk #2, 157, 158

Iron Man #27, 41, 75, 82

Jimmy Olsen #38

Metal Men #22

Mystery in Space #56

Our Army at War #105

Phantom Stranger #1

Sea Devils #29

Silver Surfer #12 Northland

Strange Tales #141

Superman #243

Swamp Thing #1

Tales of Suspense #45, 62, 93, 97

Thor #183

World's Finest #89

Also sold Arex some really nice Sgt Furys raw and Joeypost some very nice Bronze Age Marvel Horror books.

Golden Age

Beware #6 (1950s)

Pictorial Romance - #18

Vault of Horror #12

Slabs

Avengers #108 CGC 9.4

Captain America #225 CGC 9.4

Flash #251 CGC 9.4

Ghost Rider #37 CGC 9.4

Invaders #8, 15, 16, 30, 32 all CGC 9.6

Journey into Mystery #109 CGC 8.5

Kazar #7 CGC 9.4

Marvel Team-up #58 CGC 9.4

Star Wars #18 CGC 9.4

See you guys next week at NY. Booth 1408.

i still think you should get that book slabbed out of your collection that Foolkiller was talking about. Then you can afford a nice stack of hot HG SA DPs for me

Nice to hear it from the other side of the table, Dale.

(thumbs u

Now we need a report from Bob Storms. Will it be "good" Bob or "bad" Bob?

:insane:

Sorry we didn't stop by earlier but Lou didn't spend much time at the con and often when I had a moment you already had several people at your booth (CFP headquarters) so I didn't want to crowd y'all. I did stop by when Arex was helping out (yes, Arex was mercilessly forgotten about by DR) but remembered that I had to go tie up a loose end and didn't make it back.

For those that don't know Dale is the proud father of a second baby girl, Kelly Renee who is about a month old.

:headbang:

As I said I'll see you in NYC.

:)

Nice to hear it from the other side of the table, Dale.

(thumbs u

Now we need a report from Bob Storms. Will it be "good" Bob or "bad" Bob?

:insane:

Sorry we didn't stop by earlier but Lou didn't spend much time at the con and often when I had a moment you already had several people at your booth (CFP headquarters) so I didn't want to crowd y'all. I did stop by when Arex was helping out (yes, Arex was mercilessly forgotten about by DR) but remembered that I had to go tie up a loose end and didn't make it back.

For those that don't know Dale is the proud father of a second baby girl, KellyRenee Kelli Rene (pronounced the same though) who is about a month old.

:headbang:

As I said I'll see you in NYC.

:)

Fixed that for you.

BTW, there is no "Good Bob". Just an urban legend. Oh and Roy, you can come to the booth at anytime. If the CFP messes with you, I will put them in time out.

Wizard World Toronto?

I was going to go to Toronto's FanExpo next year but maybe I should reconsider for this Wizard event.

hm

Come to both.

:cool:

Wizard World Toronto?

I was going to go to Toronto's FanExpo next year but maybe I should reconsider for this Wizard event.

hm

:roflmao:

I already know what the name of that month's KoR/Tupenny PM will be entitled.

Wizard World Toronto?

hm

Come to both.

:cool:

I've already told you & L enough times that you can count on me to attend Expo but this Wizard thing is a new distraction.