• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: LIVE - 6-year-old takes off in family's experimental helium-balloon craft

47 posts in this topic

Glad the kid is safe.

I watched some of the coverage on CNN after this thread was started. doh!

Breaking news story they have to talk about and have no freakin clue what they are talking about! doh! Rampant stupid speculation.

I'm 100% convinced that it was a stupid publicity stunt. The family should get a hefty fine.

During a live interview with CNN, Falcon said he had heard his family calling his name.

"You did?" Mayumi Heene said.

"Why didn't you come out?" Richard Heene said.

Falcon answered, "You had said that we did this for a show."

no spanking, this kid does not need to be dumber

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/25/spanking-kids-iq-lower-fo_n_300006.html

lol

Correlation or causation? I'm not watching the vid now (am at work) but my guess would be correlation, and that this would be due to the kids being related to their parents (dumb parents being statistically more likely to use corporal punishment).

The study would have to include groups of adopted children, step-children, children raised in institutions etc to get any meaningful data, and even then it would be difficult to show causation.

One of the most common crimes in science reporting is articles that announce X CAUSES Y, when in fact they mean X CORRELATES WITH Y. Pet peeve of mine :)

no spanking, this kid does not need to be dumber

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/25/spanking-kids-iq-lower-fo_n_300006.html

lol

Correlation or causation? I'm not watching the vid now (am at work) but my guess would be correlation, and that this would be due to the kids being related to their parents (dumb parents being statistically more likely to use corporal punishment).

The study would have to include groups of adopted children, step-children, children raised in institutions etc to get any meaningful data, and even then it would be difficult to show causation.

One of the most common crimes in science reporting is articles that announce X CAUSES Y, when in fact they mean X CORRELATES WITH Y. Pet peeve of mine :)

Correlation. I have been around enough imbecilic people to know that this is their prefferred method of punishment.

"Hey Jeb, get your belt out! Zed has been sniffing your huffing glue again!"

It probably has a very skewed distribution at the extreme end.

The really dumb ones dont realize they are spanking the kids head not the butt, thus damaging the little potential balloonist even more.

Joe