• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefield, You're a *spoon*.

111 posts in this topic

If Rob doesn't advertise the fact that you have to spend $20 on a sketchbook before you get his sig, after waiting in line for a long time, then that seems wrong to me wrong. But if it is mentioned to you as soon as you get in line then that is OK with me.

For what it is worth, I've never seen more than 4 or 5 people waiting for Liefeld, except when it is an Image panel.

honestly i wouldn't pay for a CGC SS by liefeld. (shrug)

I have. His art is absolutely horrific at times, no doubt. The Captain America Moobies cover is one of the worst things ever put out by a major (or minor) publisher. But I have some nostalgia for the 1st Cable through 1st Deadpool run of NM. It is pretty crappy, but I still have fond memories of setting up at 88-91 shows and these books were smokin' hot. I have owned and sold dozens of copies of many of them and I like having a couple of SS for the permanent collection.

Is the signature legible? Most guys simply scribble a bunch of loops on a book, none of which are distinguishable as letters. (shrug)

If Rob doesn't advertise the fact that you have to spend $20 on a sketchbook before you get his sig, after waiting in line for a long time, then that seems wrong to me wrong. But if it is mentioned to you as soon as you get in line then that is OK with me.

For what it is worth, I've never seen more than 4 or 5 people waiting for Liefeld, except when it is an Image panel.

I have. His art is absolutely horrific at times, no doubt. The Captain America Moobies cover is one of the worst things ever put out by a major (or minor) publisher. But I have some nostalgia for the 1st Cable through 1st Deadpool run of NM. It is pretty crappy, but I still have fond memories of setting up at 88-91 shows and these books were smokin' hot. I have owned and sold dozens of copies of many of them and I like having a couple of SS for the permanent collection.

Is the signature legible? Most guys simply scribble a bunch of loops on a book, none of which are distinguishable as letters. (shrug)

I would say, illegible. His sig is the one across the word "Explosion"

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAwOTA0MzAtMjM1N.jpg

Artists make money from their art. If a 2nd rate artist all of a sudden does something that causes an increased interest in his art...and perhaps his signature than they have a right to earn a livelihood from that.

Fame is fleeting and its perfectly reasonable to want to cash in on something everyone else is cashing in on. Whether or not you think the new popularity is warranted is completely beside the point.

I would do the same and I dont see why that makes anyone a *spoon*.

Rob needs to correct this bad PR,

here is his solution. Charge 20$ per signature, offer a poster, book whatever product he is selling for that 20 bucks BUT donate 50% of it to some charity. People will then not mind, he makes money from signing something and the charity fixes all the negativity.

Artists make money from their art. If a 2nd rate artist all of a sudden does something that causes an increased interest in his art...and perhaps his signature than they have a right to earn a livelihood from that.

Fame is fleeting and its perfectly reasonable to want to cash in on something everyone else is cashing in on. Whether or not you think the new popularity is warranted is completely beside the point.

I would do the same and I dont see why that makes anyone a *spoon*.

I agree.

Everyone is different. Sure, it'd be nice to live in a world where anybody who's signature is worth having just gave it to you on whatever you wanted. Be it Liefeld, Jeter, Gretzky, whatever. It'd be nice if they just signed all day, every day for everybody..........and did it for free!

But that's not the world we live in and I certainly don't begrudge anybody who charges for their signature.

His wife and kids go to see him at Cons?

If he's signing Supreme comics for free then you can't really villainize him.

He should be handing out full refunds for Supreme along with that signature...then I will forgive him.

The Supreme's that Moore wrote were pretty good. (shrug)

But, as I've stated before, I'd probably dig a Moore written book with stick-figures.

Wow, lots of opinions here. I understand about creators realizing the profits people make off of their signatures but I think it can be handled better. Limiting the number of items signed would be good. I saw a guy 2 ahead of me in Kirkmanss line get 100 Haunt #1's signed...obviously trying to make bank off the sigs. He didn't charge anybody though. The only signature I paid for was Neal Adams and it was $5. When it really comes down to it though...I don't suppose I really want his signature anyways. I bought the book for the character...not Rob Liefield.

Anybody want to see if he'll sign 100 copies of X-Force 1? :devil:

I would say, illegible. His sig is the one across the word "Explosion"

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAwOTA0MzAtMjM1N.jpg

That kinda grinds me. Really makes you appreciate guys like Mike Zeck.

I don't have a problem with artist's charging for there ''art'', but I think they need to tell people up front rather then spring it on them when there next in line to get something signed. 2c

You know, for 20 bucks he could get a copy of this from Amazon.

Why would he need that book?

liefeld-cap.jpg

Liefeld has a right to try to capitalize off whatever he thinks he can. But it's still annoying.

And the above Cap picture insults me every time I look at it. This one cracks me up though:

liefeld-anatomy-captain-america.jpg

Well, I know I will probably here it from you guy's but Rob was my favorite artist back in the day's he was the one who got me started collecting the New Mutants and other various titles. I do think the $20 charge is kinda high for a signature. But I do think his drawing has improve on Captain America. Here is my piece he did for me at SDCC. No Manboobies!

COMICART006.jpg

Rob needs to correct this bad PR,

here is his solution. Charge 20$ per signature, offer a poster, book whatever product he is selling for that 20 bucks BUT donate 50% of it to some charity. People will then not mind, he makes money from signing something and the charity fixes all the negativity.

What about Frazetta?

Should he give some of his money to charity?

You know, for 20 bucks he could get a copy of this from Amazon.

Why would he need that book?

liefeld-cap.jpg

Liefeld has a right to try to capitalize off whatever he thinks he can. But it's still annoying.

And the above Cap picture insults me every time I look at it. This one cracks me up though:

liefeld-anatomy-captain-america.jpg

Was Liefield trying to give Cap ''MANBOOBS''? :roflmao:

Well, I know I will probably here it from you guy's but Rob was my favorite artist back in the day's he was the one who got me started collecting the New Mutants and other various titles. I do think the $20 charge is kinda high for a signature. But I do think his drawing has improve on Captain America. Here is my piece he did for me at SDCC. No Manboobies!

COMICART006.jpg

Any chance you want to buy the steam off my ? :wishluck: