• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefield, You're a *spoon*.

111 posts in this topic

Both Neal Adams and Jim Steranko told me after very little asking that it bugged them that their signatures were being immediately resold for a profit. Steranko really wanted to personalize his signatures for me, so I let him. The comics are for me, so having him single me out seems pretty cool. Looking at the inscriptions makes me smile. Both Steranko and Adams were charging $5/sig.

Aside from the knee-jerk die-hard Liefeld haters, I think the problem for most is the amount he's asking. You can compare him to Frazetta and make the $20 seem small, but if I can get two Steranko and two Adams signatures for the price of a single Liefeld, then his rates are too high for me. But then, I don't think I own a single Liefeld comic. He'd have to sign my sweet , in which case I think at $20 he's seriously underpaid. lol

I don't blame him for wanting some $ if that signature in a SS slab is going to be sold for a flip, which it likely is. if you wanted him to sign NM 86 - 100, then it might be less likely to be a flip. How much does a slabbed SS 98 or 87 in 9.6 or 9.8 add to the value versus unsigned?

Nowadays, signatures with no SS seem to add little if any value, if they don't detract, or so it seems. I suppose maybe with some moderns the signature might help it be worth cover price as a back issue versus being dollar box material?

So are they all charging to sign raw books now? I've only bothered once, with JR Sr. like 15 years ago, got a couple of Spideys signed. Nice guy.

Both Neal Adams and Jim Steranko told me after very little asking that it bugged them that their signatures were being immediately resold for a profit. Steranko really wanted to personalize his signatures for me, so I let him. The comics are for me, so having him single me out seems pretty cool. Looking at the inscriptions makes me smile. Both Steranko and Adams were charging $5/sig.

Must be a recent change because neither have charged in the past. Steranko would sign anything for free (personalized).

No offense to anyone but why on earth would you want a Liefield signature, its worthless.

Its worthless to you. I'm a fan of the characters he created. So it would be nice to have the creator sign the comics.

No offense to anyone but why on earth would you want a Liefield signature, its worthless.

He's not at the top of my list, but given the opportunity I'd get a sig.

hm

Come to think of it, I do have a Fallen Son sketch from him and an Image United he signed as well. As for his place in comics history, I would call him more infamous than famous.

Well, this would be why folks charge for their signatures; people who get them only because they're worth something.

Its worthless to you. I'm a fan of the characters he created. So it would be nice to have the creator sign the comics.

Sure I can dig that but he is best know for being probably the one of the worst artists to come down the pipe in the last 30 years hence my comment about his siganture being worthless.

Sure I can dig that but he is best know for being probably the one of the worst artists to come down the pipe in the last 30 years hence my comment about his siganture being worthless.

Depends on what you mean by worth. If you mean monetary value, I would agree. I like his work on the New Mutants and they are the books that got me into comic collecting. Therefore I might want the sig for nostalgic value.

Depends on what you mean by worth. If you mean monetary value, I would agree. I like his work on the New Mutants and they are the books that got me into comic collecting. Therefore I might want the sig for nostalgic value.

---------------

in retrospect...

at the time not everyone felt that way

I'll say it again, his work at DC and New Mutants wasn't so bad. X-Force and his Image stuff and any returns to Marvel or DC have been terrible.

I actually read Supreme 1 - 10. I bought them from a homeless guy. I could never keep track of/care about his other Image stuff, but for some reason I didn't find Supreme that bad.

Funny thing, at the time I was really excited about this package deal. For $20, I got those Supremes, some other Image junk, a bunch of X-Men, including 200 (which was hot then) in the 200s, though mainly from 270-299) and other miscellaneous odds and ends and then I added them up in Wizard were "worth" like $300. I thought I had made out like a bandit!

Of course, right now, I wonder if I could get $20 for them!