• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLink auction results.

246 posts in this topic

I'll still take AF15 at today's prices over a 10-year time span

Well, not todays prices. You would have the prices as of the thread, which was a few months ago. In other words, you are already down 10 or 20%.

Sales of two copies of AF15 being down a bit in this single ComicLink auction doesn't mean the entire market for the issue is down, although my guess is that you're right, the market on the issue IS down a bit. Other recent copies include a 7.0 for $33K in the last ComicLink and a 7.5 for $52K in the last Heritage signature, both of which were strong or record-setting. We'll know more after the current crop of AF15s sell in the numerous November auctions--I'm hopping to nab one for a bargain! :wishluck::luhv:

My thoughts…..

1. Comiclink would be wise to go to every other month for their auctions as every month is just too much...

Comiclink is a business in it for the money. So when you say wise, are you saying that you think they can make more money by decreasing the frequency of their auctions? Maybe they will get higher prices, but the volume will decrease, so it would be hard to tell if their business would be better off as you suggest. Unfortuneately, I think their business/profit interest would always take precedence over the future of the industry, even though both are linked.

5. I am hoping sellers will slow down their submissions to auction houses in general just to give the market a chance to breath and not have this abundance of the same old books every single time which hurts sales for the seller.

One can hope for it, but one really can't have it both ways. If prices go up, supply will follow. I'd guess that submissions in general are driven by price, so the biggest driver to get people to slow down their submissions would be if they saw less return on their investment. In other words, one can't hope for people to submit less simply to keep prices stable. Prices would have to come down first, in order for people to act this way.

My thoughts…..

1. Comiclink would be wise to go to every other month for their auctions as every month is just too much...

Comiclink is a business in it for the money. So when you say wise, are you saying that you think they can make more money by decreasing the frequency of their auctions? Maybe they will get higher prices, but the volume will decrease, so it would be hard to tell if their business would be better off as you suggest. Unfortuneately, I think their business/profit interest would always take precedence over the future of the industry, even though both are linked.

I'm fine with the monthly auctions. I've always been fine with the weekly Heritage auctions, but as a seller, I'd never list a primo item in any auction that runs that frequently, always save them for the primo quarterlies.

Besides the fact that I would've set a reserve if I were you ...."

I thought about setting a reserve, but needed to sell it. Oh well, live and learn.

Well, it's gone now, so don't dwell on it. Use the money for what you needed it for. (thumbs u

Andy

My thoughts…..

5. I am hoping sellers will slow down their submissions to auction houses in general just to give the market a chance to breath and not have this abundance of the same old books every single time which hurts sales for the seller.

One can hope for it, but one really can't have it both ways. If prices go up, supply will follow. I'd guess that submissions in general are driven by price, so the biggest driver to get people to slow down their submissions would be if they saw less return on their investment. In other words, one can't hope for people to submit less simply to keep prices stable. Prices would have to come down first, in order for people to act this way.

Follow up…..

I think it’s better for both comic link and the sellers in the long-term that they go to every other month. Short-term thinking will make you the quick buck, but lose out in the long-term stability. Either way if the sellers feel they are not getting close to the prices they assume they will get then you will see less and less submissions to c-links monthly auction format, which could prove to make comiclink go every other month anyway to keep the 30-40 pages of books per auction.

I am not saying this will happen next month or even 6months, but if sellers see they are getting much less than GPA they will heavily consider not submitting their books as much which will let to less auctions per month.

You can’t just keep shoving the same books down the throats of our small market place of people buying comics and not think supply will out way demand and the prices will suffer somewhat.

The ASM #75 CGC 9.6 especially, as the book is badly centered and bad PQ, so a lot of collectors know they can just wait till next month where the chance of seeing a better copy is highly probable, especially as you can preview the next months books prior anyway. The ASM’s in 121/122 in CGC 9.6 went for far less money as well do to due bad aesthetics, and the 122 looking like it might have SCS since it looks lose in the case. They both didn’t even break $1000, that’s terrible.

Here is my best example ASM #129 in CGC 9.8. That book I think has been in the last 3 Comic Link Auctions and the last ComicConnect auction, so the book went from being a 12-15000 book to 9k tops just that quick. That book is common now in 9.8. If they would have spread the book out over a year the prices had a much better shot of yielding a higher final amount for sure.

With Pressing I understand that a lot of HG books will become more available and in turn the price will be effected eventually to, especially with a book like ASM 129 which is very common in HG.

I think you say really good points and I see actually what you are saying. I just feel it is possible for Josh and others like him to look long-term instead of short-term as a business model of over saturating the market every month.

…..but again we are talking about comics, and it’s all good! (thumbs u

Yes, I like to use ASM’s as my examples. Big shock. :whee:

I really hate to also see blue chip titles like Captain America or the Avengers in the BA/CA in HG going for less than the cost of what the freakin CGC costs were.

I feel bad for the seller selling CGC 9.6 CA Avengers for $11.00 where the buyer gets essentially a free book and did not bare any risk of getting the book graded or the time/effort into it what so ever. Might as well tell comic-link to keep the book, and he doesn’t even get the cost of grading the book back. What a waste.

BS common or not.

My thoughts…..

Follow up…..

I think it’s better for both comic link and the sellers in the long-term that they go to every other month. Short-term thinking will make you the quick buck, but lose out in the long-term stability. Either way if the sellers feel they are not getting close to the prices they assume they will get then you will see less and less submissions to c-links monthly auction format, which could prove to make comiclink go every other month anyway to keep the 30-40 pages of books per auction.

I am not saying this will happen next month or even 6months, but if sellers see they are getting much less than GPA they will heavily consider not submitting their books as much which will let to less auctions per month.

You can’t just keep shoving the same books down the throats of our small market place of people buying comics and not think supply will out way demand and the prices will suffer somewhat.

The ASM #75 CGC 9.6 especially, as the book is badly centered and bad PQ, so a lot of collectors know they can just wait till next month where the chance of seeing a better copy is highly probable, especially as you can preview the next months books prior anyway. The ASM’s in 121/122 in CGC 9.6 went for far less money as well do to due bad aesthetics, and the 122 looking like it might have SCS since it looks lose in the case. They both didn’t even break $1000, that’s terrible.

Here is my best example ASM #129 in CGC 9.8. That book I think has been in the last 3 Comic Link Auctions and the last ComicConnect auction, so the book went from being a 12-15000 book to 9k tops just that quick. That book is common now in 9.8. If they would have spread the book out over a year the prices had a much better shot of yielding a higher final amount for sure.

With Pressing I understand that a lot of HG books will become more available and in turn the price will be effected eventually to, especially with a book like ASM 129 which is very common in HG.

I think you say really good points and I see actually what you are saying. I just feel it is possible for Josh and others like him to look long-term instead of short-term as a business model of over saturating the market every month.

Points well received.

I'll discuss your last statement of which I am not so sure because when it comes to business and free market forces, it is almost impossible to fight basic economics.

If CL turns down business and explains their reasoning to a seller, that seller is likely to turn to a competitor like CC. It would be "uneconomical" for CC to turn down that business. CL and CC could agree on both timing their auctions but again it comes down to pure economics. It would have to come to a point where they see both their businesses suffering and come upon that sort of agreement to improve both their businesses.

Now, with at least 5 major auction houses for a seller to choose from, it's unlikely the seller's business will be turned down for the good of the long term to keep from over saturating the market. Actually, I would say impossible, since you have Ebay which is completely non-selective.

In other words (...again), it's up to the free market. Manipulation can only go so far.

I'll discuss your last statement of which I am not so sure because when it comes to business and free market forces, it is almost impossible to fight basic economics.

If CL turns down business and explains their reasoning to a seller, that seller is likely to turn to a competitor like CC. It would be "uneconomical" for CC to turn down that business. CL and CC could agree on both timing their auctions but again it comes down to pure economics. It would have to come to a point where they see both their businesses suffering and come upon that sort of agreement to improve both their businesses.

Classic prisoner's dilemma. Good luck ever getting that to work.

Look at the ASM 86 CGC 9.6 that just recently sold for $966 on Clink. The previous sale last month was around $1600 and the month before that was $2400 and there are two copies in the regular Clink Marketplace that sold for $2400 and $2600 respectively.

Is this a matter of supply and demand in that this book has been offered monthly that several months? This book was hot because it was a re-boot of the Black Widow.

Also noticed the ASM 39 CGC 9.4 dropped to about $2400 when GPA was at $3500 for this book.

My thoughts…..

Follow up…..

Points well received.

Now, with at least 5 major auction houses for a seller to choose from, it's unlikely the seller's business will be turned down for the good of the long term to keep from over saturating the market. Actually, I would say impossible, since you have Ebay which is completely non-selective.

In other words (...again), it's up to the free market. Manipulation can only go so far.

Good points.

I still feel curving the auctions in the “free market” can help the seller and right now you are making the buyers reap the rewards.

Not so much manipulation rather stop the saturation of good material at every second you turn.

I think with all 5 auction houses if one can create an stabile atmosphere where both the seller/buyer are both happy on a consistent basis they will be the premier auction site that most comic collectors will go to.

I just think Comic link was #1, but they are losing steam and the others are catching up, which is way the free market can play out usually.

I am lucky I guess because I have never really lost money on re-selling a book because I think I have a pretty good feel of what site will yield the best results for me for that given book.

Anyway, carry on. Good talk! :applause:

My thoughts…..

Follow up…..

Points well received.

Good points.

I still feel curving the auctions in the “free market” can help the seller and right now you are making the buyers reap the rewards.

Not so much manipulation rather stop the saturation of good material at every second you turn.

I think with all 5 auction houses if one can create an stabile atmosphere where both the seller/buyer are both happy on a consistent basis they will be the premier auction site that most comic collectors will go to.

I just think Comic link was #1, but they are losing steam and the others are catching up, which is way the free market can play out usually.

I am lucky I guess because I have never really lost money on re-selling a book because I think I have a pretty good feel of what site will yield the best results for me for that given book.

Anyway, carry on. Good talk! :applause:

who is this man? he's one game away from the world series, he's nailing what's wrong w/ clink's monthly auctions. the blazing one's genius is rubbing off.

I hope the Phillies can win tonight, as I am sure they don't want to go back to LA.

SOT's Team= Good Guys

philles.jpg

BlazingBob's Team= Evil Empire

Yankees_Evil_Empire.jpg

:slapfight:

This is crazy...There's a Conan The Barbarian #24 9.6 WP on CLink going for $1200 with less than 2 hours left on that specific auction. A book just like that sold for $200 today on the forums.

This is crazy...There's a Conan The Barbarian #24 9.6 WP on CLink going for $1200 with less than 2 hours left on that specific auction. A book just like that sold for $200 today on the forums.

#1 is at $1200. #24 is at $255 :whatev:

Had to check that one out, see if I had one in the stash if that was the case lol

Also noticed the ASM 39 CGC 9.4 dropped to about $2400 when GPA was at $3500 for this book.

I noticed that one as well. The soft price may have been related to the ugly grease pencil arrival date on the cover.

I think quite a bit of the low prices seen on what appear to be key books are people actually buying the book and not the grade. I would say that most of the books that took a hit had less than stellar eye appeal. I like going through the ASM's in just about every auction. I was excited when I was casually browsing through the Comiclink auction a couple weeks ago do to the sheer quantity of them. As I started doing a little more research and picking ones I wanted to bid on the more I noticed there were plenty of things to nitpick on. The best example was the ASM #86's, all had off-white pages. If I was going to drop $1600 for that book I would definitely expect it to compare to the ones that have been going for more dollars. I'm not under the impression that people are going to pay top dollar for off-white pages or terrible miswraps.

The people on these boards have just done to good a job in educating the G.P., myself included :)

#1 is at $1200. #24 is at $255 :whatev:

Had to check that one out, see if I had one in the stash if that was the case lol

My bad, I was at work and I guess I saw the wrong thing. the #24 that was a 9.8 OW/W sold for $1000, the 9.6 WP sold for $255.

This beauty sold last night in the ComicLink auction for $8,100! :o That's more than twice the 12 month GPA average of $3,440. In fact the same book sold for $3,533 in the January 2009 ComicLink auction. I don't think ASM 17 is a key issue although it features the second appearance of the Green Goblin and the CGC census reports only 11 books graded higher (2 at 9.8 and 9 at 9.6). And 9.4 copies show up for sale fairly often. One sold in the September auction (with an old label and off white pages) for $3,251.

asm17CGC94-sold10-20-098100CL.jpg

This beauty sold last night in the ComicLink auction for $8,100! :o That's more than twice the 12 month GPA average of $3,440. In fact the same book sold for $3,533 in the January 2009 ComicLink auction. I don't think ASM 17 is a key issue although it features the second appearance of the Green Goblin and the CGC census reports only 11 books graded higher (2 at 9.8 and 9 at 9.6). And 9.4 copies show up for sale fairly often. One sold in the September auction (with an old label and off white pages) for $3,251.

asm17CGC94-sold10-20-098100CL.jpg

Yeah, prices are all over the place as usual...plenty of opportunities to get a deal or to over pay, take your pick.