• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CGC case, and shipping

46 posts in this topic

Don't know who is being refered to. Unfortunately, I do not post here that often. I hope it is not misdirected at me. Never have any problems when I come over here.

-scott

(thumbs u

Not you sir.

The culprit has been identified. And of course there is another one lurking the GA section, posting occasionally, under what I believe is now his 3rd board ident?

Yes, the way R1970d, described packing the book, it should get to destination fine. I have never encountered my CGC books to be shipped to me that way. I venture to guess that I could ship a partially cracked uncooked egg in your R1970d packaging and it will arrive fine. But the case should not be as fragile as a partially cracked uncooked egg in the first place, should it?

The only point I was trying to make is that people want a case that is super strong but there are other things to consider.

a) weight

b) how difficult is it to remove a book as many people crack their slabs on purpose

c) cost

d) archival material for better paper protection

Really, every product runs into the same road blocks. Cost vs. performance.

Everyone wants a product that is flawless but nobody wants to pay for it.

Sure they can come out with something stronger but it'll cost us, the end consumer more.

I'm not picking a side I''m just saying if you want something better be prepared to pay for it.

A slab is adequate (or at least mostly adequate) for handling a comic in a normal manner when taking proper precautions. Comics are delicate no matter how you package them, so the notion that you should just be able to slap a stamp on a slab really isn't realistic or logical to expect. If you want a slab with liquid gel inserts for shock absorption and a gyro centering device installed so that your slab lands unharmed from a fall like a healthy cat, well...that's going to cost you.

:baiting:

Roy, the pgx slabs are heavy as hell, i dont have any but have before, and i would say easily they are 2x as heavy.

Heavy is a bummer.

Ever try to carry a small stack of slabs around a con or on an airplane for any length of time? If you want to increase that weight that makes life difficult.

Pain in the butt.

O/T here but it never ceases to amaze me that people on the probation list, let alone the Hall of Shame, continue to post like a regular, good-ole', upstanding member of the community.

Do I have it wrong or can you satisfy all your obligations and still remain on the probation list? I'd think if my reputation were in the proverbial krapper, I would spend all my efforts towards getting off such a list as opposed to simply posting like nothing ever happened.

Maybe I should mind my own business too. :)

We can now get back to our regularly scheduled flogging of CGC's slabs.

+1 :grin:

Roy, the pgx slabs are heavy as hell, i dont have any but have before, and i would say easily they are 2x as heavy.

Heavy is a bummer.

Ever try to carry a small stack of slabs around a con or on an airplane for any length of time? If you want to increase that weight that makes life difficult.

Pain in the butt.

Haven't held a PGX slab in awhile so don't know about the weight comparison to a CGC slab.

If by chance I need to move my slabs. I only pick up 5-8 at a time. Not because they're heavy. But because I feel like they're too fragile and any amount of strain might cause a stress crack somewhere along the edge of the slab. Seriously, I worry more about the slabs getting f-ed up than I do about the dern books that are in the slabs.

The other thing that bothers me is the fact that you can't have books re-holdered on-site :shrug:

So not only do you have to pay shipping both ways but you risk have the slabs cracked yet again by your friendly neighborhood postman :eyeroll: