• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first CGC submission :)

35 posts in this topic

Hey gang!

In a week or two, as a christmas present, my mum is sending some of my books to CGC to be graded. I don't have a whole lot of high grade raw comics - but I have a few I feel are worthy to send, that have a big shot of making 9.8's or a high grade. The list is below. I read something a long time ago ago about CGC giving you a coupon for two free graded books or something, with your first submission - is that true? Anyway, do you guys have any advice on my first cgc submission? Thanks guys!! :)

Batman: Harley Quinn (shot at a 9.8)

First appearance of Harley Quinn in the DC Universe.

Batman Adventures: Mad Love (shot at a 9.8)

Origins of Harley Quinn.

Watchmen 1 (shot at a 9.8)

First appearance of Rorschach, Ozymandias, Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre & Nite Owl.

'Death' of 'The comedian.

Dark Avengers 1 (Granov Variant) (shot at a 9.8)

First appearance of The Dark Avengers.

Marvel Premier 15 (9.0 - 9.2)

Origin and first appearance of Iron Fist.

if you get a membership to cgc you get three free subs

but if not you're be paying for all of these

should be pretty cheap since 3 of the four are 1980 and up books .. so i would play the extra money to get the faster turn around time on them dude

my only advice slab what you want and dont worry about the grade unless you plan on selling them later

good luck on them dude

Nah, I don't plan on selling :) but would like to get some high grades :P just to see what it feels like, haha. How much does it cost for membership? and what does that entitle me too? sorry if that's a dumb question man.

What's the turn around time (on average) if you pay the extra money for faster turn around time?

Hope you don't mind my q's C!

Most will warn of the wake-up call associated with the first submission. When you see a couple of 9.8 contenders come back in 9.4 slabs, just know that most of us have been there before and know exactly how you feel.

Of course, I'm pulling for you to get all 9.8's. And I don't know what it is, but getting a 9.9 or a 10 is exhilarating!

member ship is like 100 bucks.. gets you 3 free subs and allows you to track them step by step

books 1980 and new 20 day turn around is 17 bucks plus shipping both ways

but for 25 its 10 turn around

on the MP 15 you can do Value for 23 bucks with a 40 day turn around but for 31 bucks it drops to 20...

dont be like me and hope they will stick with the 40 day BS...just pay the extra and get the up grade turn around dude

i mean its the same cost as 3 subs anyways...im not a member but will be some time soon....the tracking thing is a nice thing to have...so you dont have to call them to get updates

CONGRATS! :applause:

I remember my first submission (Venom: Lethal Protector #1 black error cover) it was such a SWEET FEELING! :whee:

I couldn't wait either, so I called (stalked!) them a couple times seeing if it was registered yet. Pretty cool feeling when it arrives to your house! :cloud9:

I hope some of the Boardies across the Pond can give you some good advice about shipping. Hopefully that can save you $ and punitive damages on boxing them up to survive the trip in the condition they left your house from!

You have a GREAT mindset about the grades. I wish you the best of luck on them. :wishluck:

25-30 a book? What about the prices c-mack just posted bro?

If you're submitting on two different tiers Lloyd the books will get shipped back seperately. That's $160 straight off. Add the £25 shipping out there that's £135 you've spent before they even get looked at.

On 10 books that's £13.50 a book. Modern tier will run you at £10 a book. Economy around £24.

My last submission of 11 moderns and two Economy cost me over £250 all in.

i don't mind if they're 9.4's :) It's just my opinion that they're 9.8's *fingers crossed*

I'd be happy to just see my books come back slabbed tbh bro!! :)

at least for the first two it wouldn't be a disaster if they came back 9.4s rather than 9.8s. unless you paid big bucks for the raw copies that is. heck, i sold a Fine 6.0 2d print of the harley quin mad love prestige format comic for $25, so a slabbed 9.4 has got to do decently

i mean its the same cost as 3 subs anyways...im not a member but will be some time soon....the tracking thing is a nice thing to have...so you dont have to call them to get updates

Agreed, the difference in membership is 39.00 per year for the Associate and 139.00 per year for the Premium which includes the 3 free subs. Either way you are paying. Otherwise the added benefits (tracking, order forms, membership pin, etc) are given to you with either level.

I think the coupon is for "express" tier? So if you have some older books it may be worth the while.

Good luck with your subs man. My first attempt of 5 books got me two 9.8s , two 9.6, and a 9.4

If you feel your books are 9.8 contenders then rest assured they got a shot.

Hi Lloyd, I did my first submission a month a go and i'm still waiting for my books too return (shrug) and I paid for Fast track. If I remember it cost about £220-230 for the sub fees and return postage, plus I paid approx £56 to send the books out to the USA. The outward fees were very high as I was geting two slabs reholdered and the weight was above 2kg. Under 2kg, if I remember is approx £25 with Roayl mail/Parcelforce.

I would definantly go with one of CGC's internet partners. If you're a member of GPA or Comics price guide or even CGC themselves you get 10% off and there are loads of partners out there that are listed on the CGC website.

By the way Return P&P $80 for upto 10 books so the more books you submit the cheaper cost per book and like Boozad said each tier is treated seperately although they will combine tiers if you ask nicely.