• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Under-Valued Gold, Silver, Bronze, & Modern Age Comic Books?

27 posts in this topic

Jackpot 4 same month as Pep 22 ties for 1st Archie pep 22 books for 17,000 in NM Jackpot 4 sells for less than 1/4 of that FF 45 stupid cheap 1st Inhumans much harder to get in NM than 48 and about 10 % of the price there are tons of them easier to list most overpriced books like virtually all Golden Age DC's

After hearing you guys, and realizing that DC may be a gold mine (not to mention they appear to be exponentially cheaper then those damned ASM's)..I'm contemplating actually buying a couple books..some of those Batman covers are awesome.

Brian

Actually, Jackpot 4 was on the stands in December of 1941, and actually ties with Pep #24. I've read them all, own all but #22, and I own a Jackpot #3 (Quarterly title) that has an arrival date of 09/30 on the cover. Not to mention the house ads; Pep 22/23 have ads for Shield-Wizard 5, and Jackpot 4 advertises Shield-Wizard #6, along with other March 1942 books. Pep 22 was on the stands in October of 1941. Overstreet confused "Winter" with "December", which isn't how Jackpot was released.

There are so many but on the top of my personal list is the X-men reprint issues ( mainly 66 to 89.) The reason I say they are undervalued because of how difficult some of them are to find in truly near mint shape. A lot of them ended up in bargin bins in the 70's and a few of them are square bound so high grade is harder to find. The listed $40 to $50 for 9.4's is unrealistic because of their scarcity.

Tomega

Wow, this is dead-easy. Where do you ever see a Good copy sell for the NM valuation? Track any of the ebay auctions in the last few years for a 1st printing Zap Comix 1 and you will surely be shocked and amazed. Jerry Weist lists a NM copy at US $1500. The Comic Book Buyers Guide books it at US $300 in NM. Here are some of the sales and potential sales for which I have either been involved, or have monitored in the last few years:

G copy sells for US $1500

VG copy sells for US $5500 (signed by Crumb and Plymell)

FN+ copy sells for US $3000

VF copy sells for US $5000

And finally, an offer of US $8500 for 1 of 2 known CGC NM 9.4 copies is refused.

Looks like CBG and Jerry Weist need to rethink their entire valuation formula for this book.

A close second is Suspense Comics 3. This is one book where demand largely outwieghs supply. Some stiff competition whenever this book becomes available for public purchase. Best bet is to get both these books privately as they tend to make the eye's water near auctions end.