• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Platinum???

36 posts in this topic

The Detective 675 says "Premium" on the cover, but the note on the CGC header card says "Platinum". Why the discrepancy? Does anyone know where this edition can be found in Overstreet? It's very confusing (to me anyhow!).

The book is called "platinum" because the cover has a metallic ink printed over the logo, parts of Azrael, and otherwhere, as can be seen in the picture. The regular edition doesn't have this metallic ink.

It's not, as of the 2008 OPG, listed.

Also, since there is no price on the cover, doesn't that qualify it as a promotional book? Just wondering.

No.

Most of the variants of the early 90's have no cover prices, with notable exceptions.

Cover prices were excluded for several reasons:

1. Publishers didn't want retailers to accidentally sell their premiums for cover price, as what infamously happened with half the print run of Eternal Warrior #1 gold flat (which has a $2.25 cover price.)

2. Retailers didn't want to deal with customers complaining that "look, it says $2.50 right here on the cover! It's brand new!"

3. It made the covers look more "special."

thanks...that is what I assumed since I joined the forum but I didn't think it makes any sense to derive TEC out of the "deTECtive comics", but my hunch wasn't far off.

Well, if you shorten "Detective Comics" to "DC", you'd be talking about the whole company.

'Tec seems to indicate that single title without confusing the company name.

my apology to everyone but until I joined this forum, I never heard of the term TEC, what is the full definition of this acronym? thanks but it is finally bugging me enough to ask :P

No worries, mate. There are a lot of abbreviations and acronyms floating around, so if you're not familiar, you might get lost.

(thumbs u

what makes that platinum? I've had a couple of copies of the Sandman 50, but I don't think I've ever seen any of those others in person... is that some kind of special ink on the cover?

It's an all-black cover with "50" printed in metallic ink - it looks like this:

thanks, but I was actually wondering about the other issues... I have the Sandman one, but I've never really cared about those other titles... the initial list marks Sandman as being different from the rest ("not really platinum," I think it said?) What's the different? What makes the other books Platinum and Sandman 50 different?

EDIT: nice freaking book, btw! I have a signed copy that I bought here on the boards that was supposed to be NM-ish, but the damned postalperson bent the thing, and now there are a million spine ticks up the side.

The main difference is that the other DC/Vertigo "platinum" editions all have a silver ink sidebar, all use silver ink in the logo and have the words "collector's edition" written across the top - here are a couple of them:

plat-black-orchid-1.jpgplat-extremist-1.jpgplat-swamp-thing-140.jpg

high-cost-of-living-1-plat-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

what makes that platinum? I've had a couple of copies of the Sandman 50, but I don't think I've ever seen any of those others in person... is that some kind of special ink on the cover?

sandman-50-plat-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

thanks, but I was actually wondering about the other issues... I have the Sandman one, but I've never really cared about those other titles... the initial list marks Sandman as being different from the rest ("not really platinum," I think it said?) What's the different? What makes the other books Platinum and Sandman 50 different?

EDIT: nice freaking book, btw! I have a signed copy that I bought here on the boards that was supposed to be NM-ish, but the damned postalperson bent the thing, and now there are a million spine ticks up the side.

The other issues all actually have some sort of "platinum" (which is the hoity toity word for silver) ink on the cover, usually metallic. The Sandman #50 is the only one that's different, in that it has special plasticized printing on the cover (the word for this escapes me at the moment...I want to say acetate, but I know that's not quite correct...it'll come to me), much like Daredevil #300. This effect was only used a couple of times.

There's really no "platinum" or "silver" ink on Sandman #50.

It also wasn't a promotional comic, it was a standard "order X copies this month, and get a free #675 Plat."

Weren't the Platinums only printed and issued after a certain issue had sold X amount of copies? Like a 90s celebratory thing?

I dunno, I've never heard that before. Some of the Vertigo plats explain what they are on the inside front cover. For example, Death is addressed to the Retailer, in a letter by Karen Berger, stating that Vertigo was finally here, and thank you for your support, etc. So I'm fairly certain that was a gift to retailers just for ordering Death or some combination of Vertigo books.

Swamp Thing #140 is also addressed to the Retailer.

The other issues all actually have some sort of "platinum" (which is the hoity toity word for silver) ink on the cover, usually metallic. The Sandman #50 is the only one that's different, in that it has special plasticized printing on the cover (the word for this escapes me at the moment...I want to say acetate, but I know that's not quite correct...it'll come to me), much like Daredevil #300. This effect was only used a couple of times.

I take that back. I pulled out a Sandman #50 plat, and while it does have the plastic "50" (that word they called it will come to me), the stars, moons, and "VERTIGO" are in a silvery-white metallic ink, while the title and cover credits are in a copper metallic ink.

(thumbs u

Atomic Avenue lists this...

http://www.atomicavenue.com/Atomic/IssueDetail.aspx?ID=229537

...as a Platinum Edition. Clearly they are incorrect.

Yeah they're wrong. That's just a 'foil' variant. Also as common as muck.

Yes, there are three variations of Tec #675, the "Collector's Edition" which is embossed foil, the regular which is standard, and the Platinum.

I take that back. I pulled out a Sandman #50 plat, and while it does have the plastic "50" (that word they called it will come to me), the stars, moons, and "VERTIGO" are in a silvery-white metallic ink, while the title and cover credits are in a copper metallic ink.

(thumbs u

I believe the term was 'spot varnished'.