• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Oz book collection

25 posts in this topic

Great looking books!

With the unending popularity of the Wizard of Oz, and the current craze for young-adult fantasy fiction, why in the world hasn't another film been made based on these works? Is it because the lure of the Wizard of Oz is Dorothy's "stranger in a strange land" story? Is Wonderland wonderful without Alice?

Actually, there was a second film made called Return to Oz in 1985 which was based on the Baum books Ozma of Oz and the Marvelous Land of Oz.. It did not do well at the box office but is considered by many a cult classic. I personally love the movie and highly reccomend it - much darker than the Wizard of Oz.

Funny, I was just recommending Return to Oz and Popeye to a co-worker yesterday. Both movies had tremendously high production values, incredible sets and Disney studio involvement and both suffered from narrative issues that made them both unsuccessful at the box office. As an old Oz afficianado I loved discovering Return to Oz, just wish I had seen it in the theater.

Another recommendation for this group is Mad Monster Party which is available on DVD. This claymation movie featured some great talent including Boris Karoloff and Phyliss Diller. Additionally the -script was by Harvey Kurtzman and character design by Jack Davis; so how could you go wrong! This was one of my favorite matinee movies as a kid.