• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Holds The CGC Record?

336 posts in this topic

I've never been able to spot it.

I ask because if it's on the spine, or along a tear, then that's resto. If it's in some random location, that's not resto. It's like the difference between a magic marker applied directly to a color-broken area of ink as opposed to a magic marker applied at some random location on the cover, or a magic marker used to write someone's name or some other bit of communication. If your glue is in a spot that is definitely intended to restore the book, then this is definitely the first example of a blue-label Silver book I've seen with slight resto.

I also can't recall seeing a blue new-style label with a comment before...is it centered above the page quality designation? It's cut off in your scan.

But didn't Detectivekid27 have a book he'd dropped a magic marker pen on come back as PLOD? hm

And as we've debated many times before, 'intent' is pretty tough to determine.

But didn't Detectivekid27 have a book he'd dropped a magic marker pen on come back as PLOD? hm

And as we've debated many times before, 'intent' is pretty tough to determine.

Where'd he drop it at?

Sometimes intent is easy to determine, otherwise, every single Ohio book would be PLOD.

The most amusing aspect of this is when certain people, Steve Borock foremost amongst them, start rambling on about the 'old Wild West days', when so many books were sold with undisclosed restoration.

It seems to me that the only difference now is that the practices have been legitimized to allow more money to be made out of them. doh!

That's a great point.

It's clear to me - CGC doesn't consider trimming restoration, but trimmed books are given an apparent grade and put in a purple label. (shrug)

It's clear to you that CGC doesn't consider trimming restoration, but they put it in holder that says it's restored? ??? It makes no sense to me at all, and the sentence on their web site does NOT explicitly say they don't consider trimming to be restoration. It's non-additive, but then they put it in a restored holder, which at best causes confusion that we're left on our own to figure out. The only reason we know any better is because Steve came on here and said it, but that gets buried...99% of customers are either confused or just think it's resto, including ones who read the statement from their site you quoted.

broken_record.jpg

It's clear to me - CGC doesn't consider trimming restoration, but trimmed books are given an apparent grade and put in a purple label. (shrug)

It's clear to you that CGC doesn't consider trimming restoration, but they put it in holder that says it's restored? ??? It makes no sense to me at all, and the sentence on their web site does NOT explicitly say they don't consider trimming to be restoration. It's non-additive, but then they put it in a restored holder, which at best causes confusion that we're left on our own to figure out. The only reason we know any better is because Steve came on here and said it, but that gets buried...99% of customers are either confused or just think it's resto, including ones who read the statement from their site you quoted.

The correct treatment if CGC considered trimming to be destruction would be to put it in a blue label but grade it as incomplete and hence a 0.5 grade.

To do so for micro trimming would cause a furore and hence a PLOD is a more politically convenient result.

(thumbs u

I cant stand that everything has some conspiracy behind it.

This thread could have been interesting IMO. But instead it is just people bickering or being out and out :censored:HOLES.

Cant imagine why I rarely post anymore.

And John. Pressing the same book 4 times? I hope thats a joke, the thing must look like sh$t out of that holder.

Gary thought he was serious. I won't tell you the biggest grade swing I have had but it was huge.

I did. Glad to see I was fooled. I can live with that.

broken_record.jpg

(Congrats on your 20,000 posts, by the way. (thumbs u )

broken_record.jpg

I studied English in university...I've got no sympathy for CGC DIRECTLY communicating trimmed books as restored if they really think they're unrestored. I sound like a broken record because people in the thread keep cutting them slack for this, but they don't deserve it--no excuse for directly confusing people on this issue. I'll stop sounding like a broken record as soon as people stop punching up my song on the jukebox. :makepoint:

I studied English in university...I've got no sympathy for CGC DIRECTLY communicating trimmed books as restored if they really think they're unrestored. I sound like a broken record because people in the thread keep cutting them slack for this, but they don't deserve it--no excuse for directly confusing people on this issue. I'll stop sounding like a broken record as soon as people stop punching up my song on the jukebox. :makepoint:

I'm not confused. Now, what's all this talk about you having a coin slot? hm

broken_record.jpg

Your point is impractical, because CGC is not going to go to the expense of rolling out a completely different color label just to accomodate a technical distinction that most people don`t care about.

The fact is that the purple label helps to warn people that the slab contains toxic waste. Whether it`s mild toxic waste (professional color touch) or deadly toxic waste (trimmed) is irrelevant, because either way it`s toxic waste.

In any event, you made your point about 15 pages ago.

The fact is that the purple label helps to warn people that the slab contains toxic waste. Whether it`s mild toxic waste (professional color touch) or deadly toxic waste (trimmed) is irrelevant, because either way it`s toxic waste.

Damn Tim...even I think that's a pretty brutal explanation of the PLOD...

Jim

Damn Tim...even I think that's a pretty brutal explanation of the PLOD...

Jim

Well, James` repetition may have driven me to engage in a bit of hyperbole to make my point. :gossip:

Your point is impractical, because CGC is not going to go to the expense of rolling out a completely different color label just to accommodate a technical distinction that most people don`t care about.

I love irony. :cloud9:

lol I figured someone would call me on that! (thumbs u