• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC's grading or policies....

124 posts in this topic

Stop gouging us on the shipping, and let us combine shipping on orders containing multiple tiers. $25 to ship one book being reholdered for $11 is tantamount to gouging. We all know what it costs to ship slabbed comics.

Moreso on International shipping. I've got to agree wholeheartedly with the above post. $175 shipping for 13 books over two tiers is just way too much.

I know they will combine tiers if requested in huge letters so it's unmissable (obviously putting it on the submission forms is easy to miss), but still, it doesn't cost $80 to ship 10 slabs. I saw that for myself when my first submission came back.

Don't charge my cc till you sent my books!!!!!!!!!

I have a slight problem with this as well. They have no problem taking your money right away but then you have to wait 1 to 4 months before you have the books available to you to get any return on your investment.

Got my books on 9/28 charged my cad the same day..11/10 today and just got verified the other day. I give them the benifit of being busy..But don't tell me my books will be back in 40 days....

Unless, let's say, you were a GA collector in the 80's and 90's and send a bunch of, let's say, "Fine" type books in that turn out to have tiny CT that didn't even raise the perceived grade (and if it was a small stray pen mark, wouldn't lower the perceived grade, let's say) you don't know this, get the book slabbed and now it's "worth" 75% less than if CGC decided the CT was, in fact, a stray pen mark and thus just counted it as a defect. Doesn't it seem a little silly that if you have a small corner of the back cover that has tiny CT you get a PLOD, but if you simply rip that tiny corner off (don't cut it with a scissor, because that might look like a trim), the book may have the same grade or only go down .2 (if small enough) or whatever?

I totally agree. Why PLOD a book in cases where the "restoration" does not improve the grade? A FINE with a tiny CT on the spine that does not raise the grade. Or a low grade beater with a glue tear seal. How absurd is it to see a 2.0 in a purple label?

Now we have people digging out paper to get rid of the PLOD designation. If you can dig it out and it doesn't hurt the grade -- it ain't restoration.

If it does not improve the apparent grade, consider it a defect and factor it into the grade.

Though I got this idea from someone else I would like to suggest the 'hot dog' rule implemented for resto. The government allows so many parts per million of rat parts in a hot dog. Allow the same for resto and the Purple label designation.

A pinhead of ink should not be resto. Allow it.

I haven't read this thread so if this has already been said sorry.

I think they need to atleast make books from 1977-1979 part of their modern grading scale again

Most books from that area are not cost effective for the submitters even in HG.

If they get a 9.4/9.6 the cost of grading might be worth more than the book itself. :makepoint:

Two things:

1) Marvel chipping...'nuff said. doh!

2) CGC needs to stop promoting the deliberate destruction and defacement of comic books through their sig series. Yuck...over 5% of the Hulk #1's in the census have been irrevocably defaced with CGC's endorsement. :eek:

CGC needs to stop promoting the deliberate destruction and defacement of comic books through their sig series. Yuck...over 5% of the Hulk #1's in the census have been irrevocably defaced with CGC's endorsement. :eek:

:preach::boo:

CGC needs to stop promoting the deliberate destruction and defacement of comic books through their sig series. Yuck...over 5% of the Hulk #1's in the census have been irrevocably defaced with CGC's endorsement. :eek:

This will never happen - CGC has made a market for the signature series books, and it's one that will only continue to expand with the proliferation of purpose-built sketch comic covers. A new niche of collectors now exists simply due to this (to me) artificial distinction between "non-witnessed" signatures and "signature series" autographs. CGC would be going against rational business models to stop doing the "signature series", no matter how much non-participants dislike the offering.

disclaimer: Personally, I like books with signatures, and prefer the signatures on the first page of the book rather than on the cover.

Better inner well design; Put two grades for books with a Qualified label (actual grade+grade w/o defect)

Just get rid of qualified label. It is completely stupid. A 9.4 book with a staple pull is simply NOT a 9.4 book. Just grade the book as it is. If it knocks it down to a 7.5 or 8.0, just label it that way. Does anyone actually own qualified label books in their collections?

Also, notes should be on the back of the label, instead of all the disclaimer garbage.

Two things:

2) CGC needs to stop promoting the deliberate destruction and defacement of comic books through their sig series. Yuck...over 5% of the Hulk #1's in the census have been irrevocably defaced with CGC's endorsement. :eek:

(thumbs u

If a book is signed on the cover, it should be counted as a defect. If the book must be signed, please have it done on the interior with something besides a marker which will bleed through.

I would like a no-grade slab option. Maybe silver label, although I am willing to accept the Platinum label..don't nobody say "why don't you just use a mylar"...I want them slabbed, with no grade... that's what I want for some of my books..

List paper quality in their census.

Paper quality is huge to me and knowing how many white pagers are out there would be a big help!

(thumbs u

Listing pedigrees in the Census would be great too.

IMO, there are only a couple of pedigree which should receive designation. Most are glorified collections and the importance of a pedigree designation doesn't mean anywhere near what it used to. A pedigree once meant you have one of the nicest copies in existence. Now the number on the slab does that for you.

For the most part (not every case), why do you care if Joe Blow owned the comic or Joe Smith? If it is a 9.4 with white pages and a 9.4 with white pages, logically why would one be worth more than the other? Because it has a great story behind it? Every book has a story, some have just been sensationalized more than others.

2c

Better inner well design; Put two grades for books with a Qualified label (actual grade+grade w/o defect)

Just get rid of qualified label. It is completely stupid. A 9.4 book with a staple pull is simply NOT a 9.4 book. Just grade the book as it is. If it knocks it down to a 7.5 or 8.0, just label it that way. Does anyone actually own qualified label books in their collections?

Also, notes should be on the back of the label, instead of all the disclaimer garbage.

look at how smart Dale is. i think this is why i like him so much.

i honestly feel like Oppenheimer looking over Einstein's notes here, if that ever actually happened. if not, i believe we've broken new ground here

Two things:

Only going to get bigger and better! But thankfully for blue label collectors the more yellow labels could mean less blue labels, which should increase value? Or another train of thought...

maybe those yellow labels were purchased as blue labels, helping out collectors who were selling?

Two things:

(thumbs u

If a book is signed on the cover, it should be counted as a defect. If the book must be signed, please have it done on the interior with something besides a marker which will bleed through.

hater...

no hug for you next show Dale... :ohnoez:

Two things:

if i had a AF 15 in CGC 9.6, i would kill for a stan lee and steve ditko signature on the FC. :acclaim::cloud9::whee::headbang:

Does anyone actually own qualified label books in their collections?

Well.....if they exist (which they do), then they have to be in somebody's collection. :baiting:

:gossip: I have a few myself (a PPSSM #2 with a pulled lower staple which I missed when I submitted it and some early Harbingers missing the coupon).

Two things:

if i had a AF 15 in CGC 9.6, i would kill for a stan lee and steve ditko signature on the FC. :acclaim::cloud9::whee::headbang:

AdventureComics150Frazetta.jpg

AllAmericanMenofWar94CGC6.jpg

FightComics42CGCSS.jpg