• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hong Kong Newspaper says buy CGC Comics

52 posts in this topic

just curious Tim have you been to the Causeway comic shop that was mentioned in the article?

No, never been there. I don`t buy new comics. But I might check it out just out of curiosity now.

how come the article never mentions you or your books for that matter =)

lol Because I`m a peon! I seriously doubt the comic shop owner or the reporter know of my existence.

It's because you don't buy from Metro :grin: peon? now that's an understatement. i'll tell the 2 comic book stores in causeway about you once i swing by next month. i think i've been there but the comic book stores there rarely have signs to identify them. i just go in when i see comics. once i saw a raw xmen 94 selling for US$500. i did'nt bother to examine the book since HK shop people sometimes have a bad attitude if you don't buy the merchandise. hm

Other than the two stores in Causewaybay that are crammed in with all the businesses selling to Indonesian Maids are there any other comic shops in Hong Kong? I used to know of one other in the Sino Centre but noticed a year or so ago that it was no longer there.

I have had Metropolis on occassion order hardcovers for me that I can't get a decent shipping price on but rarely do I buy anything from Metro or Clark. Online is cheaper and I don't really buy moderns.

I don't know if those guys would know who have the really nice collections in Hong Kong since they do not really sell back issues themselves.

Benz you've got much better shops in Makati than we do in Hong Kong.

David

Benz you've got much better shops in Makati than we do in Hong Kong.

In terms of Moderns (US comics) I would agree, I think your comic stores in Hong Kong are mostly "underground", kind of like the 2 comic shops the article mentioned in causeway.

Heck even Tim who lives in HK is not familiar with it :grin: I just bump into those place while looking at collectible toys.

There was a shop I went through once in Kowloon area? I forgot the place but probably Tsim sha Tsui area. I saw a Batman 608 Hush 2nd print (back when it just came out). the thing is these stores don't have name i can see. The store in causeway does sell some nice bronze age books once in awhile so maybe you could try befriending the owner.

If you want to order hardcovers try getting it here. I have a trip scheduled 12/24 so i can bring them in if you want. (Tim if you're reading this feel free to PM me as well).

Benz

BUBBLES are created when a lot of people who previously knew very little or nothing about what they are buying start buying that asset

Tulips, 1920's stocks, 1970's gold, 1990's tech stocks, Beanie babies, multiple real estate properties, oil, etc.

And now maybe gold ???

If enough people that know nothing about comics start buying them you can add COMICS to that list

I believe we are in the 3rd inning and have a lot more room to rise (golden age and silver age quality material and high end) till this "bubble burst". Below are seven signs if we a in a comic bubble.

1) almost everyone you know talks about the rise of comics

2) many people begin to flip comics for a quick profit

3) many people spending their life savings and are cashing in their 401k to buy comics (I'm sure some of you out there have done this)

4) it's not about collecting anymore, but it's about making money

5) restored comics are rising rapidly too

6)five to ten comic related movies are made in one year.

7)single comic sold for a million dollar

8)more single comics reaching $500,000-1,000000 in auction house

9)Showcase 22 9.0 reaches $200000 (this is a joke, just because I love SC22 so much)

(thumbs u

I believe we are in the 3rd inning and have a lot more room to rise (golden age and silver age quality material and high end) till this "bubble burst". Below are seven signs if we a in a comic bubble.

3) many people spending their life savings and are cashing in their 401k to buy comics (I'm sure some of you out there have done this)

9)Showcase 22 9.0 reaches $200000 (this is a joke, just because I love SC22 so much)

(thumbs u

I'm getting flashbacks to the early 1990's. "Everybody wants comics so lets flood the market with as much tat as possible - some numpty will buy it!"

I only started migrating from raw books to CGC's this year and can already see waiting lists soar as every collector and his dog will want every brand new issue bought every month grading.

It might be time to see if CGC are recruiting???

(thumbs u

50 years of fandom and you think that's the 3rd inning? ??? I'd say 7th inning stretch

50 years of fandom and you think that's the 3rd inning? ??? I'd say 7th inning stretch

I think he's comparing it to other hobbies like coins, cards, stamps and such which have had a much longer life span than comics.

comics are still young compared to its older siblings: art, stamps, coins.. and still appeal to more of a cross generational audience than many other collectibles. For now at least. As our hobby ages, however, it must go the way of lets say, stamps. A joy of the past with no present or future appealing to an increasingly smaller pool. All that will remain will be Superman, Batman, Spidey and a handful of the others, and be represented by a few 100 books of undeniable demand and value. All the rest be damned.

how about a poll of the 100 colics that will still sell, within say, a week on sale, in 25 years! The ones that fly off the shelf when offered as opposed to all the "keys' that dealers lug to and from Cons year after year.