• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little rich for my blood....

65 posts in this topic

i think james didn't want the competition in paying through the nose, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif once the cat is out of the bag, all the johnny come lately's show up. blush.gifshocked.gifinsane.gif

On a personal level, that's somewhat true, but I don't think it crept into my evaluation a few weeks ago that the title wasn't bubbling. I was seeing a trendline that wasn't increasing much faster than it already had been increasing since I started collecting the title in 2000.

However, some of these recent prices that are doubling the levels attained in 2002 are making me start to think the balloon might be inflating a bit. I guess it's the dearth of material available last year mixed with a little early movie hype. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

me a thief? say it isn't so..... i only picked up 2 books.

Don't forget that CGC 9.6 FF #60!!! You STOLE it from me...and then tried to blackmail me to get it back by giving up my Spidey 21!! shocked.gifmad.giffrown.gifcrazy.giftongue.gifwink.gifstooges.gif

me a thief? say it isn't so..... i only picked up 2 books.

Don't forget that CGC 9.6 FF #60!!! You STOLE it from me...and then tried to blackmail me to get it back by giving up my Spidey 21!! shocked.gifmad.giffrown.gifcrazy.giftongue.gifwink.gifstooges.gif

well the #60 was at a nice price and it sold for a nice price....

is your #21 available? it is the only one i need. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I guess it's the dearth of material available last year mixed with a little early movie hype

I still am not sold on the movie hype thing kicking in yet, at least, I think any motivation along those lines comes from established collectors who want to buy these books BEFORE there is a significant run-up via movie interest, not necessarily speculators who are latching on to the "next big thing".

I often correspond with those I sell my FFs to on ebay; most are collectors who bought them years ago, and are now interested in owning high grade copies. Few have actually heard of the movie scuttlebutt.

Of course, these boards are now alive with the sound of FF adoration (and rightly so!), and I imagine that crescendo will continue to build this year and well into 2005 (and the hopeful movie release). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I think any motivation along those lines comes from established collectors who want to buy these books BEFORE there is a significant run-up via movie interest, not necessarily speculators who are latching on to the "next big thing".

I think of this as "pre-emptive" movie hype, which I group along with movie hype itself. I did the same thing in early 2002 by buying a bunch of Spideys in January/February/March because I knew the prices would be going up in the April/May/June 2002 timeframe once the movie hit. However, the prices weren't really all that high then, but in April, they rose by 60% up to 200%.

When Daredevil was announced, it appeared to me that people were caught up in general movie mania--or that they learned to pre-emptively buy the title--because DD prices went up WAY before the movie came out...they started rising in June/July 2002, which was 6-8 months prior to release. Is the pre-emptive buying really happening a full year and a half before the FF film? 893whatthe.gif I guess this might not be all that much earlier than the Daredevil pre-emptive buying since it was originally supposed to come out THIS year and they delayed it by six months... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think so, yeah. If FF kept increasing at the rate it has the last few years, it would eclipse the early Batmans in about a decade. Those major Golden Age superhero titles seem too comparatively rare for these more-available Silver Marvels to approach them, even if the Marvels are more popular.

Part of me thinks I should sell some FFs now and repurchase them in a few years. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Part of me thinks I should sell some FFs now and repurchase them in a few years.

I would have to agree with that strategy. There are a coupe of books I know you own that you could make a killing on if you sell now. Sell to the specs now, and buy them back later for 60 cents on the dollar. These prices are ridiculous and not sustainable. If ASM, which is in a lot more demand and has a surefire-hit of a sequel coming this summer, could not sustain its movie-hype prices, what chance does FF have?

As for the whole 2010 pricing, I don't agree, but that's a whole other discussion.

If ASM, which is in a lot more demand and has a surefire-hit of a sequel coming this summer, could not sustain its movie-hype prices, what chance does FF have?

Again, the movie at this point is a fantasy. Early high grade Spideys tend to outnumber equivalent FFs 2 or sometimes 3-to-1 on the census. More demand, but more supply also.

Yeah James, sell me your FFs, I'll "speculate" on them. grin.gif

Again, the movie at this point is a fantasy. Early high grade Spideys tend to outnumber equivalent FFs 2 or sometimes 3-to-1 on the census. More demand, but more supply also.

Ok, but I would be willing to bet money that the ratio of ASM collectors to FF collectors is quite a bit more than 3:1. I like ASM more, but there are a number of earlier FF's I'm looking to eventually aquire in high grade. I know you're a serious FF collector, but you have to admit that this is not the time to be buying if you're looking for the best possible price. The FF movie may be a fantasy at this point, but you can't deny that the buzz is at least partially responsible for the surge in prices. You have to wonder why all these nice FF's are suddenly surfacing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I paid some very high prices for a few ASM's back in late 2001 and early 2002. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

You have to wonder why all these nice FF's are suddenly surfacing.

Yes, the higher prices are bringing out some nice copies. No one can deny that. But again, and this is just what I am hearing/seeing from fellow collectors, the books that are being bought up right now are being done so by a few (half dozen to a dozen) hardcore collectors; movie hype or not.

I honestly think buying an FF book will be even worse from Fall of this year into next Summer. The prices are getting really outrageous, and continue to climb. The census isn't indicating a mad rush of submissions for the earliest issues, though that may happen at some point (I doubt it).

Just wait and see what happens when the speculators actually start buying the books. Let's see what happens when Wizard premieres a costume or screen shot, or the first movie poster or trailer is released.

I'm just curious as to what the 2004 Overstreet Guide will have to say on the subject.

I certainly agree with you on one point; the high prices can't ultimately be sustained, I just don't think we are near the Peak yet.

Just wait and see what happens when the speculators actually start buying the books. Let's see what happens when Wizard premieres a costume or screen shot, or the first movie poster or trailer is released.

I agree. I also think that the best books to sell at that time would be issues 6-29 in 9.0/9.2. They're in the price range that many of the specs will be able to afford, and they'll be replaceable post-hype. For those of you who are serious collectors, and plan on keeping your books for a very long time, I wouldn't suggest selling pre #20 issues in 9.6 and pre-#13 issues in 9.4 because those would be very difficult to replace. But the 9.0/9.2 books should definetly be blown out the door. Just my opinion.

I'm just curious as to what the 2004 Overstreet Guide will have to say on the subject.

Considering the FF price spike is only a few months old I doubt Overstreet will "up" FF prices more than the standard 10-15% in the new guide.

Timely