• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAF Gallery Update

10 posts in this topic

Admittedly, i don't post too much here and i don't even have that much comic art, per se, but i finally got my CAF gallery full of a variety of different pieces of art - everything from comic art, toy art, animation, and tattoo art - and as there's been some recent discussion on animation and toy art here, i figured some of you might enjoy seeing some of my collection as well. Hopefully i'm not committing any comic art community social faux pas. ;)

I know it's not the most earth shattering stuff compared to what i see a lot of around these parts but it's something different and pretty sweet for what it is so i hope you enjoy taking a peak.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=36583

hey Shane, I notice some of the GI Joe peices are "presentation art." What is that, exactly? I would think its an initial sketch for internal presentation purposes at the company, which would be reviewed and from there they would go ahead with the project (or not). Ie sort of a finished concept sketch for project approval purposes. Is that correct?

You're pretty much correct.

The ideas for figures would come from design meetings or the designers heads and start out as very rough sketches, like the Night Viper rough sketch shown in my gallery. From there more detailed drawings would be produced, getting approval at every stage. The black and white presentation drawings are the second last stage and finally, the fully rendered presentation piece would be done and used in the pitch for final approval before going into the next stages of sculpting/model making and R&D.

The artist doing the design would then do a figure sculpture sheet, showing the figure from all angles (much like character reference sheets or a model sheet in animation) which would be copied, circulated and given to the sculptor who would make the early 3D prototypes. A number of original sculpture sheets and copies have survived as well.

Glad you guys dig the update!

Finally, a chance to limelight some new pieces! These are both GI Joe related so hopefully that's your cup of tea!

I was pretty cash strapped throughout 2010 but no matter how broke you are, sometimes a pieces comes up that you just can't pass on - and it happened twice. I sold a few things to make both purchases work and thankfully i got a time payment on one of them (thanks Malvin!). What i didn't bank on was a time hiccup on the second piece in terms of shipping. I paid in full in August, the guy had it in hand since September and he finally shipped it last week. Needless to say, i was less than impressed but the piece arrived yesterday and it's great to finally have it!

So here are my new acquisitions:

GI Joe #77 Original Cover Art

I loved the Cobra Civil War arc as a kid and this issue features the aftermath. Throw a cat fight between Zarana and Lady Jaye on the cover and i'm sold!

Here's the art all framed up:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=734265&GSub=95674

And here's the piece i waited FOREVER for:

Dave Dorman Original Presentation Art for Dusty and Sandstorm

As i said in the description, i've always wanted a Dorman GI Joe concept piece and i have a preproduction run going for this figure so i was able to kill two birds with one stone in acquiring it.

I posted an additional image of the entire run thus far:

Dusty and Sandstorm Run