• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm no Billy The Kidd, my first OA.

69 posts in this topic

As some of you may know one of our very own board members, Junkenstein, is publishing his first book soon through his own publishing company. It's a collection of short stories, some of which involve some more of our board members! Jay had me involved form the start, fleshing out a storyline for myself at first, but that soon grew into me getting involved (along with Lebowski) in designing the cover and back cover artwork.

As the project wore on it turned out Jay asked me to do a sketch for the back cover artwork. Billy The Kidd was down originally down to do all the artwork but his schedule just didn't allow unfortunately, it's a shame as his artwork would have been amazing adorning Jay's written work.

Now I haven't drawn for the best part of sixteen years, and although I was chuffed that Jay had asked me to do it I was apprehensive as I didn't know if I could still do it. So I took a few cracks at it and just wasn't happy, but finally I got a sketch done that I could live with. I've always been very critical of my own work, whether that be artwork, my job, songwriting, whatever. But with time running out I knew I had to get something solid to Jay as the last thing I wanted was to let him down.

I ended up inking and finalising with a toddler hanging over my shoulder, my daughter was extremely ill for a week or so following a seizure and only Daddy would do! It wasn't easy, but Jay was happy with the final result, and following that we've agreed to work on a comic book together moving forwards to be published under his own publishing company.

Below is the piece as it progressed. Remember, it's been years since I've done this and I'm certainly no Billy The Kid! But it was an honour to work on Jay's book, and it will be great to actually see it in print.

And lastly, if this doesn't fit in Comics General, I'm the biggest hypocrite ever :insane:

th_BackCoverSketch.jpg

th_BackCoverInked.jpg

th_BackCoverFinal.jpg

nice! Bottles are a pain in the arse to draw!