• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PQ impact on grading

48 posts in this topic

9.8_Tan-Cream.jpg

I remember we discussed this specific book a while back on the Boards. The concensus was it would NOT get a 9.8 by today's CGC standards. In fact, a tan page book will not even get a 9.4. Somebody said Mark Haspel doesn't like tan pages, neither do I.

From past discussions about PQ, I'm almost positive that the X-Men #214 was viewed as a mistake and 'recalled' by CGC.

I think you're right about that. I don't think you can get a 9.8 on a book with worse than CR-OW pages, and I'm not even sure 9.8 is possible with CR-OW. 9.6 may be as high as the scale allows with that PQ.

isn't it Light Tan that keeps a book from being graded higher than 8.5?

there was a double cover Hulk that belonged to BlowUpTheMoon, I think that had LT/ow that was a 9.6 book otherwise that got an 8.5

I have an Action 30 in CGC LT TAN/OW 8.5 that is structurally nicer. I'll have to find the image sometime. I posted it in the GA show us your action thread a while back.

Are there visuals of the various shades to explain the differences? (shrug) Didn't some books arrive in print with 'Tinted' pages to begin with?

It's tough to make a single visual aid because each manufacturer used a different type of paper.

Are there visuals of the various shades to explain the differences? (shrug) Didn't some books arrive in print with 'Tinted' pages to begin with?

It's tough to make a single visual aid because each manufacturer used a different type of paper.

That would be an interesting guide. A pq guide by publisher and they could break it down to between Xand Y years and give examples of what 'white' etc would be.

i, for one, would find a PQ guide broken down by publisher and era to be extremely useful... However, given differences in each users monitor settings/resolution/etc, I'm don't think a guide would work online, to much variance possible

i, for one, would find a PQ guide broken down by publisher and era to be extremely useful... However, given differences in each users monitor settings/resolution/etc, I'm don't think a guide would work online, to much variance possible
Youre right, i was totally picturing a sweet hardcover book.