• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte Comicon - Sunday December 27th

61 posts in this topic

Had a pretty good crowd today.

After the last two shows in September and November were down in the low/mid 200s, I was getting a little worried. But we had 368 through the door. :banana:

Good seeing all the board members. Arex, Finecomics, Sal, Dover, and RAHIGH.

One of my 4 of the day :acclaim:

So shotzy, how did it go?

For me it was a slow day. If Dover wouldnt have stopped by it would have been a disaster. Charlotte seems to be a mecca for dollar and fifty cent books and I dont have those.

Lots of people through the door and Jeff and Earl were busy all day. If I do the show again, i will have to have a different stock as high grade just doesnt seem to work there.

One of my 4 of the day :acclaim:

So shotzy, how did it go?

For me it was a slow day. If Dover wouldnt have stopped by it would have been a disaster. Charlotte seems to be a mecca for dollar and fifty cent books and I dont have those.

Lots of people through the door and Jeff and Earl were busy all day. If I do the show again, i will have to have a different stock as high grade just doesnt seem to work there.

Sorry it was so slow Arex. :sorry:

Lots of people were also blowing out BA/SA. Earl was selling wall books for $5 :o . Mark Merrill had his display books highly discounted and told me he had sold over 40 wall books. David Shankle had 10 boxes of great higher value GA/SA for $10 (I spent a ton with him). Think he made a killing!!

Of the 24 dealers that set up, I only talked to 6 (including Arex) that said it was slow.

I'm sure at a bigger 2/3 day show you would do great!! Maybe you can give Heroes a try this year. You would certainly have a larger and for the most part, far more familiar customer base.

One of our guests at the show and a long time friend...writer James (Bob) Robert Smith put this on his blog (Thanks Bob)

And congrats......he just inked a big deal with Tor books for his novel "The Flock" and the upcoming sequel. And he's also optioned the movie rights to the book!!

http://tilthelasthemlockdies.blogspot.com/2009/12/four-colors.html

I had a great time at the show. It's always fun for me.

Over the past few years I've been assembling a reading set of select Silver Age titles. I always find what I'm looking for at Dave and Rick's shows.

I even managed to land some tough to find Ditko books--some of his right wing political rants that I find entertaining, but insane. I'm always amazed that there are people out there who buy into that crazed Ayn Rand bullcrap.

James, were you the guy I was talking with outside about the commonality between John Byrne, Neal Adams and David Sim? Budd Root was there too.

If so, :hi:

Over the past few years I've been assembling a reading set of select Silver Age titles. I always find what I'm looking for at Dave and Rick's shows.

I even managed to land some tough to find Ditko books--some of his right wing political rants that I find entertaining, but insane. I'm always amazed that there are people out there who buy into that crazed Ayn Rand bullcrap.

I kept losing money on Marx so I bought some Rand.

Hey, Sal and Dover!

Yeah, that was me with Budd talking about the various crazies in comics: Sim, Ditko, etc.

Ack! Dover has an Ayn Rand avatar! It's like Kryptonite to me! ARG!

Looking forward to the next Comicon. Best place to fill in my collection at reasonable prices! (I'm a capitalist, dudes!)

communists generally have pretty crappy comic collections if they are HG collectors

communists generally have pretty crappy comic collections if they are HG collectors

lol all that sharing makes it hard to figure out who gets to hold it!!