• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best/Worst Retcons Ever

65 posts in this topic

I heard there was finally a "resolution" the the "Third Summers brother" thing, and he and a team were sent to Krakoa BEFORE the team we see in GSXM #1 and failed miserably, and were presumed dead. Then he came back later.

Again, sounds absolutely horrible.

-slym

What takes the cake in this story is that Prof X wiped everyone memory of them. Thus Vulcan (third Summer brother) comes back with a vengence. Horrible retcon, however I end up liking Vulcan.

I noticed of the years they keep making Prof X into a spoon. The thing with Vulcan, the Illuminati, and the thing with Magneto/Xorn.

You mentioned one of the worst ones, the whole Illuminati thing. What a terrible ret-con. Was that just to make Secret Invasion seem plausible?

The worst kind of retcons are those that take an important event, longtime death or seminal storyline, and then let some brainless hack puke all over it:

Norman Osborne is alive and well, and living in France

Norman Osborne retroactively boinking Gwen, who then magically delivered the kids between panels

Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force

Wolverine and his idiotic bone claws

Iron Fist was a Vegetable Clone stupidity

Bucky's rotted corpse is exhumed

All that James MacDonald/Sasquatch BS from Alpha Flight

The Disappearing Baby May

Nightcrawler is a Demon

Ghost Rider and that "Spirit of Zarathos" crapola

Wanda's fake children

The "Spidey Clones Dissolve When They Die" revelation, which allowed them to bring back any and every clone who didn't immediately dissolve.

The Spidey Totem insanity

There are probably more, but that's a good start.

The worst kind of retcons are those that take an important event, longtime death or seminal storyline, and then let some brainless hack puke all over it:

Norman Osborne is alive and well, and living in France

Norman Osborne retroactively boinking Gwen, who then magically delivered the kids between panels

Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force

Wolverine and his idiotic bone claws

Iron Fist was a Vegetable Clone stupidity

Bucky's rotted corpse is exhumed

All that James MacDonald/Sasquatch BS from Alpha Flight

The Disappearing Baby May

Nightcrawler is a Demon

Ghost Rider and that "Spirit of Zarathos" crapola

Wanda's fake children

The "Spidey Clones Dissolve When They Die" revelation, which allowed them to bring back any and every clone who didn't immediately dissolve.

The Spidey Totem insanity

There are probably more, but that's a good start.

I forgot about The Scarlet Witch's fake children doh!

I thought the Spider Totem was stupid also, but it brought about some new cool powers. So I didn't complain much.