• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Tomega... (Odd Development)

44 posts in this topic

this is an actual event that happened awhile back gossip.gif. picture this, danny boy calls big major dealer in NYC via telephone:

NYC dealer: hello

danny boy: hi, i'm comic-keys on eBay, i have some GA books to sell

NYC dealer: danny!?! is that you?

danny boy: hangs up the phone after his voice blows his cover

true story

picture this, danny boy calls big major dealer in NYC via telephone:

My interviews show that this phone call is where all the "comic-keys is Dupcak" rumors started. I posted this rumor in a thread about a year ago, and Hammer sent me the following e-mails about an hour or so after the post:

To: ruddj@comcast.net

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 9:33 AM

Subject: hey fudd

I say, the hell with waiting! Let's go to court ASAP and you can present your

proof. Then I'll present Dupcak as MY proof. See you soon.

-Richard

To: ruddj@comcast.net

Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 9:34 AM

Subject: Forgot to ask you

You're a real POS aren't you?

TURNS OUT THIS IS INDEED A CLEVER SCAM... not someone messing around

Another friend mentioned to me yesterday, out of the blue, that the seller of the 9.8 ASM 129 (Comgeek, but not) contacted him saying the winner of the auction backed out and offered him the book, just like the example below. Being far less familiar with Steve (Comgeek) he was completely unaware that the email was a scam, but declined for other reasons. Had he been interested, he might have paid the guy. Its possible he has a paypal account with the same email addy (that's very close to Steve's). That's just speculation though.

Even if my friend was ever in contact with Steve prior on other auctions and recognized the "toychef" email... the fact that it was slightly different could have easily slipped by him. Others that may notice may just assume the seller switched providers also. I asked my friend to forward the exact email so i can see if his approach is different if he can't obtain any personal info about the intended victim.

The scammer is likely a lurker who picks up any info he can here (names, email addresses) so the offers seem more believable. He apparently picked up my email and name.

Steve already emailed the scammer and contacted Ebay to alert them.

If anyone receives any emails from Steve, his real email is toychef@aol.com (not yahoo.com).

The scammer may move onto other high profile, respected sellers... so if any other seller contacts anyone with offers on larger keys with a similar story, pay close attention. I would suggest emailing the seller through the ebay system to see if the contact was authentic. This will also get the ball rolling if its not and alert that seller of the identity fraud.

Bru

Here's an odd twist.

One of you forumites (or an evil lurker) must be messin' with me with info posted here and maybe in the XM 94 post too... OR this is another scam on top of the prior one.

This email was sent to me last night by Comgeek? The email was from... t0ychef@yahoo.com (not his "aol" addy: toychef@aol.com). The only thing that looks different in the front end is either a capatalized "O" or a zero instead of a lc "o"? I even responded last night with "WTF ?????" thinking Steve must have seen this post and was having fun or something. Like he would sign his email Comgeek or sell that book for $4200 (the auction was not won either). The link takes you to the bid history, not the auction itself as well.

I just got off the phone with Steve, he does not have a yahoo account and claims not to be the sender. Very odd. Steve's not too happy someone is using his "toychef" email name with another provider.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dear Bruce,

You have shown interest for my " X-MEN # 94 CGC NM+ 9.6.....Oh So Close". The winner of my auction gave up on buying it for some personal reasons.

If you are further interested in buying it, please let me know. My offer is now $4,200. Please answer me asap because I will go to Europe tomorrow.

I look forward hearing from you.

Regards,

comgeek

>--------------------

>

>Question from: comictradingpost

>Title of item: X-MEN # 94 CGC NM+ 9.6.....Oh So Close to....

>Seller: comgeek

> Starts: Jan-11-04 17:04:00 PST

> Ends: Jan-18-04 17:04:00 PST

>Price: Starts at $1.00

>To view the item go to:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2217407248

>

>

>Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at http://www.ebay.com

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!