• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High-Grade Miller Daredevils

46 posts in this topic

"One buyer" is all I'm looking for - they are sweet books. Now who would send a $24 book into CGC for grading??? A rocket scientist perhaps?
I

Sent in a DD 163 167 174 178 all came back CGC 9.8 recieved back in for DD release sold them for 750.00

MABE I WILL CHANGE MY NAME TO ROCKETSCIENTIST623

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Davidking623

Boy, you really screwed that "one buyer" - talk about gambling stories!

YOU SHOULDNT BE SO HARD ON THAT ONE BUYER HIS NAME IS BRONZE BRUCE13 HE BOUGHT THE 163 AND THE 167 FROM ME! ITS AMAZING SUCH ACCUSATIONS ARE MADE OF ME AS A BUYER MY NAME SPEAKS FOR ITSELF AND I HAVE NEVER SCREWED ANYONE SELLING THEM A COMIC BOOK THEY ARE PREPARED TO PAY BIG DOLLARS FOR!

Davidking623

In fact, Dking has been that "one buyer" a couple of times!

Hulk 181 CGC 8.0 White Pages Qualified BIN ed it for 500.00 sold it for 629.99

Totally up my alley!

Davidking623

Oh, and BTW, if I recall correctly, you threw in a few modern wolvie's to sweeten the pot!!!

I dont recall that with that book but who knows? that said it would have been another 12.50 less that I recieved for what maybe was Origin 2-6 but I dont think I included it in that paticular auction!

Davidking623

I had a long long look at the books in this auction and IMO they are over graded - sorry but if that DD 7 is a 5.5 then my copy IS a 9.4, and I think its between an 8.0 and 9.0. The TOD 9.2 with color breaking creases on the Bottom right corner, etc, etc. I will say that you put up large scans so ppl can make up there own minds.............. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Boy, you really screwed that "one buyer" - talk about gambling stories!

YOU SHOULDNT BE SO HARD ON THAT ONE BUYER HIS NAME IS BRONZE BRUCE13 HE BOUGHT THE 163 AND THE 167 FROM ME! ITS AMAZING SUCH ACCUSATIONS ARE MADE OF ME AS A BUYER MY NAME SPEAKS FOR ITSELF AND I HAVE NEVER SCREWED ANYONE SELLING THEM A COMIC BOOK THEY ARE PREPARED TO PAY BIG DOLLARS FOR!

Davidking623

Since you brought it up, a little history...

At the time, it was towards the end of Miller DD spike. Many Miller Fans/Collectors and 2-3 aggressive Speculators had put together considerable, but incomplete 9.6/9.8 runs.

Issues 159, 160, 161, (162 even though it was not Miller), (163 - VERY highly coveted due to advance Hulk-hype), 164, 165, 167, (168- even these were not overflowing with 9.6's at that time), 169... and a handful of others in the 170's had NOT surfaced "much" or "at all" in 9.6 or 9.8 inexplicably.

I was in contact with quite a few of the above-mentioned buyers assisting them with their wants... and was acquiring some for myself as well (at the right price). In any event, a premium was offered by several buyers for the issues needed to complete the runs. I wanted very much to keep both books (163 & 167) particularly the 163, but had to let them go as I believed I'd have many more chances later. I made about $100 on the 2 books... but a few K over all just on Miller DD's during the craze. Only 4-5 I graded myself, the rest were flips.

Oddly enough, there have been a couple more 167's in 9.6/9.8... but I didn't buy for one reason or another. However, I don't recall seeing a 9.8 163 since. There still are quite a few Miller DD's that have not surfaced much in 9.6/9.8. Some are not as plentiful (available) as people think regardless of the census numbers. 169 is another, only saw a few 9.6's and 1 or 2 9.8's total and of course a few did not look so hot in the QP department. You'd expect there'd be more by now.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oddly enough, there have been a couple more 167's in 9.6/9.8... but I didn't buy for one reason or another. However, I don't recall seeing a 9.8 163 since. There still are quite a few Miller DD's that have not surfaced much in 9.6/9.8. Some are not as plentiful (available) as people think regardless of the census numbers. 169 is another, only saw a few 9.6's and 1 or 2 9.8's total and of course a few did not look so hot in the QP department. You'd expect there'd be more by now.

So Godfather Bruce...

If you were in possession of an original owner run 159-191 (short the 168) that should average 9.6, what would you do? Pre-screen them all at 9.6? Check out valiantman's website and only pre-screen the ones with short counts? Sell the run intact to gman?

Or just sit on them... pondering all the money you left on the table in 2002?

'Cuz that last choice is what I have been doing ever since I slabbed the 158 at 9.8 and sold it for $915, but was too late to get the rest slabbed before the movie hype ended... sitting... and pondering... that's me... confused-smiley-013.gif

If you were in possession of an original owner run 159-191 (short the 168) that should average 9.6, what would you do? Pre-screen them all at 9.6? Check out valiantman's website and only pre-screen the ones with short counts? Sell the run intact to gman?

Or just sit on them... pondering all the money you left on the table in 2002?

'Cuz that last choice is what I have been doing ever since I slabbed the 158 at 9.8 and sold it for $915, but was too late to get the rest slabbed before the movie hype ended... sitting... and pondering... that's me... confused-smiley-013.gif

I remember that... I lost that auction i think, but won a different book from you. I'm pretty sure yours was one of the (3) 9.8's I eventually tracked down and bought during the spike. Kept the one I liked best for my tatses and sold the other 2.

Sounds like you missed the boat on the real opportunity, but there is still some upside (aside from having a HG raw set)... that doesn't suck. A few are still worth slabbing if 9.6's are a lock and you have a chance at 9.8 too. Particularly 163 and 169. I'll check into the data and get back to you. How many actually surfaced for sale publicly may be a more important factor than the census data. If the majority of certain issues were graded and kept or sold privately... there are people who still have some holes (don't go there). I still need a 9.8 163, 9.6/9.8 167, 169 for instance.

I'll PM you by Fri.

I'll PM you by Fri.

gossip.gif And he'll read it by April.

grin.gif

Whyioughta.... mad.gif .... ::sigh:: ... you're right... confused-smiley-013.gif

I just finished deleting over 900 PMs from my inbox... and in the process I found two from Hammer that I never read... 893whatthe.gif

My envelope hasn't stopped blinking in a year... foreheadslap.gif

I just finished deleting over 900 PMs from my inbox

893whatthe.gif Great Scott! I thought I had a bunch to delete!

BTW - Just passed the Godfather in post count! shocked.gif Please Godfather, it was an accident, I swear. I didn't mean nuthin' by it....

(Yes, I edited a spelling error)