• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overrated Character - but others don't agree with you

160 posts in this topic

:gossip: Roy, I get the feeling that he's just doing this to gauge people's reactions. Let's fight fire with fire, eh?

short_box or swizzle_stick, whichever you prefer...

Take a look at the images in front of you.

Is Brian Bolland over-rated?

Is Frank Frazetta over-rated?

Nope and nope. Two of my faves. Anyone who thinks these guys are overrated are ignorant, to say the least.

im definately in the minority but i dont like kirbys silverage or bronze work, ive not seen much goldenage to know if i like that or not. i know everyone loves him and hes a pioneer in the industry and i agree with that, but i just dont like his art

I had my board with a nail it out after I read your first sentence. I put it away after reading your last sentence.

I don't necessarily like the work of all the pioneers, but I certainly respect it.

Images like P'Gell above is part of that.

doh! Are you being obtuse intentionally? Start with the 4 I already gave you.

I hope you understand that Eisner is cartoonist, i.e., that that waist line you keep on referring to was certainly intended for the full effect that the figure has. Comparing this to the inability of Liefeld to draw feet for example is missing the point entirely. One artist uses distortion to help his craft, another uses distortion due to lack of craft.

Thank you. He keeps throwing up that single illustration, thinking that somehow makes him right...and he calls me obtuse. I can't tell if it's intentional or if he just doesn't get it. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Guys, seriously, leave this short box guy alone.

He's a tool.

He started a similar controversy over Alex Schomburg when he tried to tell people that AS can't draw and then admitted to simply doing it to get a rise out of people.

Discussion on Schomburg.

:screwy:

His posts are best read on ignore.

I wish I had seen that thread before I decided to respond to short box.

Thanks for the heads up Roy (thumbs u

im definately in the minority but i dont like kirbys silverage or bronze work, ive not seen much goldenage to know if i like that or not. i know everyone loves him and hes a pioneer in the industry and i agree with that, but i just dont like his art

I had my board with a nail it out after I read your first sentence. I put it away after reading your last sentence.

I don't necessarily like the work of all the pioneers, but I certainly respect it.

Ah, now I see, it's the way I phrase things that knots your panties. If the above is acceptable, I will follow the lead:

I'm definitely in the minority but I'm not a fan Eisner's work. I've seen enough of his art and read enough of his stories to know that. I know everyone loves him and he's a pioneer in the industry and I agree with that, but I just dont like his art, characters, or stories.

That better?

Ah, now I see, it's the way I phrase things that knots your panties. If the above is acceptable, I will follow the lead:

I'm definitely in the minority but I'm not a fan Eisner's work. I've seen enough of his art and read enough of his stories to know that. I know everyone loves him and he's a pioneer in the industry and I agree with that, but I just dont like his art, characters, or stories.

That better?

:blahblah::whatev:

That better?

:blahblah::whatev:

Read the thread title again. I don't want you to agree with me. But I don't like hypocrites either. If Nickwire's comment is okay then my revamped one is too, right?

You can take it seriously if you remember the second part of the thread title: "but others don't agree with you". Eisner = boring zzz . Do I need to post the Liefeld-esque scan of P'Gel again? lol

Yeah, Eisner's over-rated. It's not like he refined the narrative structure of the medium or wrote the book on comics or anything. Oh wait, that's right, he did.

You don't like Eisner's drawing style, fine that's one thing, but Will Eisner the artist deserves every accolade he gets. He's actually one of the few people that deserves more acclaim than he's received.

You're an Adams fan right? Look at it this way: Without Will Eisner, there is no Wally Wood, and without Wally Wood, there is no Neal Adams. For that matter, without Will Eisner there is no Neal Adams. Those Strange Adventures splashes, where Adams is doing all those experimental splashes? That's straight out of Eisner's work.

The above post is made by an intelligent, well informed person and is absolutely correct. Eisner was a pioneer who helped define the art form...overrated my arse.

He does lose points because of Ebony White.

EbonyWhite.jpg

not something I would be proud to show my 9 year old hispanic son.

Created and drawn during a MUCH different time. Not fair to hold yesterdays sensabilities to todays standards.

While the "different time" argument is legitimate, there is more to it than that. While the image of Ebony is hurtful at best, there is more to the character than the image. He was an integral part of the strip and often an invaluable assistant to the Spirit. His appearance and dialog are awful.

You can take it seriously if you remember the second part of the thread title: "but others don't agree with you". Eisner = boring zzz . Do I need to post the Liefeld-esque scan of P'Gel again? lol

Yeah, Eisner's over-rated. It's not like he refined the narrative structure of the medium or wrote the book on comics or anything. Oh wait, that's right, he did.

You don't like Eisner's drawing style, fine that's one thing, but Will Eisner the artist deserves every accolade he gets. He's actually one of the few people that deserves more acclaim than he's received.

You're an Adams fan right? Look at it this way: Without Will Eisner, there is no Wally Wood, and without Wally Wood, there is no Neal Adams. For that matter, without Will Eisner there is no Neal Adams. Those Strange Adventures splashes, where Adams is doing all those experimental splashes? That's straight out of Eisner's work.

The above post is made by an intelligent, well informed person and is absolutely correct. Eisner was a pioneer who helped define the art form...overrated my arse.

He does lose points because of Ebony White.

EbonyWhite.jpg

not something I would be proud to show my 9 year old hispanic son.

Created and drawn during a MUCH different time. Not fair to hold yesterdays sensabilities to todays standards.

While the "different time" argument is legitimate, there is more to it than that. While the image of Ebony is hurtful at best, there is more to the character than the image. He was an integral part of the strip and often an invaluable assistant to the Spirit. His appearance and dialog are awful.

I'm not going to hold Ebony against Eisner. Just like I'm not going to hold it against Kirby for drawing buck toothed, squinty eyed Japanese in comics produced during WW2. Different place, different time.

Where did this become "who is the most overrated artist"???

Hey, just be amazed the topic is still somewhere within the ballpark. Usually by now it shouldve turned into a pressing thread.

It's not often that someone on a web forum can make me feel like I've completely wasted my time. Add short box to a short list :sorry:

Don't let it get you down, sooner or later we all stumble over a troll.

Learn from it, put the clown on "ignore" and move on.

(thumbs u

Hey Shortbox doesnt seem totally useless and he kept fairly cool about the whole deal so I'd call him a well mannered bridge troll. Man some of those coinees will make you gouge your eyes out in comparison.

Let's not forget that Logan trolled me. I posted my opinion and then he started in with the name-calling by calling me ignorant, not the other way around. Plus, he never actually grasped what the title of the thread means. I don't actually think either of us really trolled the other but if the term is going to be bandied about, please place it on the one who deserves it.

Let's not forget that Logan trolled me. I posted my opinion and then he started in with the name-calling by calling me ignorant, not the other way around. Plus, he never actually grasped what the title of the thread means. I don't actually think either of us really trolled the other but if the term is going to be bandied about, please place it on the one who deserves it.

:: sigh :: The "actual" title of the thread is Overrated Character, not Overrated Creator. There's nothing wrong with being called ignorant either. I'm ignorant on a lot of subjects, you're ignorant enough about Eisner to say he's overrated. Now that I know what your game is and have seen previous evidence of it, we can stop now. It's not worth my time to discuss it with you.

:eyeroll: I still can't believe he called me the troll. :screwy:

:: sigh :: The "actual" title of the thread is Overrated Character, not Overrated Creator.

Right. In my first post I said "The Spirit and Will Eisner in general". You latched onto the Eisner part and ignored the Spirit part.

There's nothing wrong with being called ignorant either. I'm ignorant on a lot of subjects,

I believe you, because this is one of the most ignorant things I've read in a while.

you're ignorant enough about Eisner to say he's overrated.

Yes, if someone gives an opinion that's different than yours, that person is ignorant. As I said, I have read enough Eisner stuff to form a proper opinion. The Spirit splash pages are cool, that's about it (shrug)

Now that I know what your game is and have seen previous evidence of it, we can stop now. It's not worth my time to discuss it with you.

Let's see if you can resist the temptation to troll me. This will be my last post to you if you can.

:eyeroll: I still can't believe he called me the troll. :screwy:

To put it in ignorant language you may or may not understand: "you started it".