• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ous The First Comic Book Movie to Win Best Picture... sort of.

145 posts in this topic

the holocaust film? like a Mel Brooks movie?

Sorry, I delayed in response, server seems very slow tonight.

Mel Brooks did create a comedy related to

the Holocaust, btw. But, just so I understand, you are equating the 'Inglourious Basterds' film to 'Schindler's List' in magnitude, scope, and genre?

Because I consider 'Shindler's List' to be an Academy Award winning drama about the Holocaust-- 'Ingloruious Basterds', I do not. It's not just that it was an entirely fiction based view, but was laced with so much comedy, again, I find it hard to distinguish the genre it was trying to capture.

It's kind of like saying, 'Tropical Thunder' was the equivalent of 'Apocalypse Now'.

Both were related to the Vietnam War, but I sure wouldn't consider them comparable.

At least TT, was clearly meant to be a comedy/farce. There was no ambiguity there.

It's difficult to pull off the juxtaposition of comedy and the Holocaust, Roberto Benigni pulled it off, but that was rare, and a completely different Oscar worthy approach.

lol It`s hilarious to read you guys speaking at each other on completely different wavelengths.

Aman: BR was talking about Inglorious Basterds (you know, the movie that started this thread) and comparing it to a Mel Brooks movie.

BR: Aman thought you were talking about the Reader and comparing it to a Mel Brooks movie.

I havent seen Basterds yet. Love Tarantino in general, but am content to see them eventually, not rush out. But, a good Tarantino film is always Oscar bait because, in the Academy timeline I spoke of earlier, Tarantinos work is key and influential. So each of his rare works resonates within the industry and is taken seriously... unless they tank... because he is considered both a genius and a hack, depending on whom you ask. (just like here)

Academy game is just a HS election. You vote AGAINST more people than you vote FOR anyone. So much jealousy! You hate to see some ashwipe you hate glorified instead of you, who toils away unheralded. Its your only chance to take certain people down a peg. Your vote is a "gift"For instance, Spike Lee might never even TRY to win. Hes just not liked at all. But if he someday has a breakthru comeback with a truly truly sensational film, and is very very contrite, maybe, just maybe he might get a Nom. But might even ten, suffer a full Rourke and lose in the end as enough NAY votes kill his chances.

A good way to understand the game is those letters about Megan Fox saying what a terrible person she is. If you work on the set, and a glorified actor is just hell to deal with in person, you will vote for anyone else out there before you will help him/her go up and receive an Oscar! Its business, Sonny, buts also Personal, as heck!

thank you, O kind gentleman from the East.

Yes, double thanks. Aman, I was kind of wondering what you meant by READER and holocaust. But they were close enough to be construed as related to my post and the thread.

P.S. I must have missed part of your diatribe on the Oscar committee, although I don't disagree one bit, as I know a bit about Hollywood.