• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternate Blanks

82 posts in this topic

I am getting a random 'blank' done right now by Dean Yeagle, Playboy artist...He's doing a pin-up "Mandy" sketch for me on a 1957 Playboy, which happens to be Blank, only Playboy that is like that. All it has is a very small picture of some Playboy cuff links in the lower right corner, the rest of the cover is "Blank".. I think that is pretty original, and plus that Playboy is not very pricey...being that the whole Playboy thing started popping, that is a cool cover to get Sketched...

That's a creative idea Hector. I can't wait to see how it turns out. (thumbs u

I'm all for new blanks, but I personally don't care which company puts out a blank as long as it's quality. If I were a big Spawn fan, I wouldn't care if I got it on a Marvel or DC blank as long as the blanks were of a quality conducive to a good sketch. Luckily for us, Image has put out a good blank.

I'm just saying that I hope that all the people clamoring for a DC blank aren't holding out on getting sketches just because there isn't one yet. I'm a big TMNT fan and I don't thing Mirage will be putting out a blank any time soon. It didn't stop me from getting a sweet Ninja Turtle sketch on a Marvel blank. Personally, I'd love to see more Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Superman sketches in 2010. They aren't getting the love they deserve.

Good point.

I think that a DC blank would broaden the sketch collecting hobby as a whole. I also would love to see more DC characters on blanks. But in all honesty, I'd choose a Marvel character on a Marvel blank, unless it's a character and/or artist I really love. My 2c

I'm all for new blanks, but I personally don't care which company puts out a blank as long as it's quality. If I were a big Spawn fan, I wouldn't care if I got it on a Marvel or DC blank as long as the blanks were of a quality conducive to a good sketch. Luckily for us, Image has put out a good blank.

I'm just saying that I hope that all the people clamoring for a DC blank aren't holding out on getting sketches just because there isn't one yet. I'm a big TMNT fan and I don't thing Mirage will be putting out a blank any time soon. It didn't stop me from getting a sweet Ninja Turtle sketch on a Marvel blank. Personally, I'd love to see more Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Superman sketches in 2010. They aren't getting the love they deserve.

Wonder who?

zWonderWoman.jpg

Just a personal preference, in some ways, I'm sort of a perfectionist. It does kind of bother me when Billy (or anybody) puts a sketch on an unrelated cover for me. wall_nut.gif I have a Tarantula, Jade, & Wonder Woman on Shi covers & they bother me, but they were gifts, so that's the extent of the complaints you see from me about them. meditate.gif ha ha ha He told me a while back that he was going to send me a Sgt Rock sketch & I told him to wait. I'd send him a Call Of Duty blank cover because it was more appropriate. I'm a Shi collector, though, so a lot of times, if an artist is going to do a Shi for me on another cover, I ask them to tie it in.

ex. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/Sketched/ShiCorpsebyBuzHasson.jpg

Shi as an undead on a Corpse blank cover

I agree somewhat w/ what you're saying about not waiting, though. I say that I want some DC covers for Batman a lot, but I'm not really holding off on them that much. I have enough other ideas to take care of in the interim. monkey2.gif

PS. I want to get a TMNT sketch of the turtles w/ Shi (well, Ana minus the paint & sohei gear) in a semi portrait from up above like they're all looking up @ a camera. The idea is for Ana in a Pizza Hut cap holding an open box of pizza w/ the guys all in a circle w/ big grins each holding a slice.

I also like the idea of using covers which aren't really blanks, per-say, and using them for just such thing...it amkes the covers with the sketch very unique and the book very different..

I always joke that my artistic abilities end just this side of stick figures. monkey2.gif

Here's my humorous attempt @ art. I call it "bored w/ pens" papa.gif

This CerebusNo63_50.jpg turned into this

ShiCerebus.jpg

ie I want finch to do detail in pencil on a good blank...not Sharpies.

lol

I TOTALLY get what you mean, it's just a little funny since every time I've seen you approach Dave Finch, you're getting a sketch on a non-DA/MP/SI/FS blank and I don't think I've seen you get one in pencil yet.

Not saying your sketches aren't nice, because they are (I bought some from you). I'm just saying it was a funny example coming from you.

I got it out of my system to ask Finch for Paint on WTC covers, my Batman blank needed ink as pencil wouldn't stick.

I did have a SI done in NYCC from him but he did use a bic, though a great sketch, nothing compares to the work he does in pencil.

Good point.

I think that a DC blank would broaden the sketch collecting hobby as a whole. I also would love to see more DC characters on blanks. But in all honesty, I'd choose a Marvel character on a Marvel blank, unless it's a character and/or artist I really love. My 2c

I agree. I think they're shooting themself in the toe by not taking advantage of the market. Sure, they can go on w/out it w/ relatively little impact, but they're missing out a big & growing market.

Til they wake up, there's always the Superman 100(for small sketches), Wasteland & Zero Hour

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/0z84Wasteland6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/0z59ZeroHourSketchcover.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/100-1.jpg

There's also the possibility for using completely blank titleless covers like Lady Pendragon & Call Of Duty

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/LadyPendragontourback.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Delvie/Sketch%20Covers/0z12CallOfDutySketchcover.jpg

All 5 covers are kind of slick, though & need fixative sprayed on 1st.

Obviously someone is a Billy Tucci fan :)

Why ever do you say that? bozo.gif

Yah. My appreciation for Billy besides a friend is 2fold.

1) My favorite character is Shi

2) As a sketch cover collector, I have to give biggups to the guy who tried to keep the hobby alive while the rest of the industry had a casual "eh" attitude about it.

These are his Sketch Covers released, not including his latest.

ShiSketchCovers.jpg

Sorry for the multiple posts, guys. I had all the pics scattered across photobucket folders.

If anybody is interested, I made this a few yrs ago. It's out of date.

SketchCovers.jpg

Obviously someone is a Billy Tucci fan :)

Why ever do you say that? bozo.gif

Yah. My appreciation for Billy besides a friend is 2fold.

1) My favorite character is Shi

2) As a sketch cover collector, I have to give biggups to the guy who tried to keep the hobby alive while the rest of the industry had a casual "eh" attitude about it.

These are his Sketch Covers released, not including his latest.

ShiSketchCovers.jpg

Sorry for the multiple posts, guys. I had all the pics scattered across photobucket folders.

If anybody is interested, I made this a few yrs ago. It's out of date.

SketchCovers.jpg

dam.....that's a lot

Good point.

I agree. I have hardly seen any Superman sketch covers. :(

A TMNT one would be awesome too.

ie I want finch to do detail in pencil on a good blank...not Sharpies.

lol

I TOTALLY get what you mean, it's just a little funny since every time I've seen you approach Dave Finch, you're getting a sketch on a non-DA/MP/SI/FS blank and I don't think I've seen you get one in pencil yet.

Not saying your sketches aren't nice, because they are (I bought some from you). I'm just saying it was a funny example coming from you.

I got it out of my system to ask Finch for Paint on WTC covers, my Batman blank needed ink as pencil wouldn't stick.

I did have a SI done in NYCC from him but he did use a bic, though a great sketch, nothing compares to the work he does in pencil.

German Bat covers are NOT pencil friendly from what I have heard...but, the inked end results have not been dissapointing thus far...

I also like the idea of using covers which aren't really blanks, per-say, and using them for just such thing...it amkes the covers with the sketch very unique and the book very different..
Such as Walking Dead #8? :cloud9:

wd8sswithsketch.jpg

Good point.

I agree. I have hardly seen any Superman sketch covers. :(

A TMNT one would be awesome too.

Here you go, I got these done before I got obssessed with my Fallen Son collection. These were some of my first sketch covers I collected, they were on the back of the FX 2008 program which was blank.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Order=Date&Page=1&GSub=54457

That Tommy Castillo is like a James Dean Superman...all he needs is a cigarrette (or toothpick) hanging out of his mouth, and for him to have two thumbs up and a 'Fonzy' style- "HEEEEY"...

I am getting a random 'blank' done right now by Dean Yeagle, Playboy artist...He's doing a pin-up "Mandy" sketch for me on a 1957 Playboy, which happens to be Blank, only Playboy that is like that. All it has is a very small picture of some Playboy cuff links in the lower right corner, the rest of the cover is "Blank".. I think that is pretty original, and plus that Playboy is not very pricey...being that the whole Playboy thing started popping, that is a cool cover to get Sketched...

Dean Yeagle rocks!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: June 1957 Blank

92034.jpg.ac734872e2191baccb44fb629213bf3e.jpg

Dean Yeagle rocks!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: June 1957 Blank

(worship)(worship)(worship)