• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rawhide Kid 18 Census Mix up

4 posts in this topic

I just recently sent out my copy of Rawhide KId 18 to CGC. I was told it was going to come back a 7.0 (could not be any happier). But I am a little confused, there are only (3) in the census, (2) issues for 10/1960 and (1) for 9/1960. The one I submitted is dated 10/1960.

But the one from 9/1960 shows (1) in the census as an 8.5.

Has anybody ever scene this issue or is this a mistake?

Because if it is not a mistake then it would be one of the rarest issues in the Atlas/Marvel western genre.

Rawhide Kid #18

October 1960

Newsstand release May 31, 1960 for June.

Before Marvel Comics went 20 cents, all newsstand months had two cover months represented among that month's release.

Rawhide Kid #18 was released for the newsstand on the same date as Strange Tales #77; Tales to Astonish #12; Kid Colt, Outlaw #18; Patsy & Hedy #72; My Girl, Pearl #8. All these issues were cover dated, October.

Also released on the same day as Rawhide Kid and the above issues were: Journey into Mystery #60; Gunsmoke Western #60; Love Romances #89; Teen-Age Romance #77. All these issues were cover dated September.

Let's go for a wild ride. :whee: A complicated answer might have the Rawhide being graded the same time as a Gunsmoke which may have had a house ad for the Rawhide and a lazy data entry clerk may have assumed both to be September. How likely is this ---- well ... not.

Real answer, probably a mistake in data entry.