• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last chance-nominate your favorite Silver Age DC superhero covers

123 posts in this topic

I nominate this classic cover

HOUSE OF MYSTERY #174

RAD172C92009830_1150.jpg

Thanks, but we're looking for Superhero only right now. (thumbs u

Andy

OK, then I nominate B&B #93

Basically the same cover but with Batman on it now

RADD09D92009528_04315.jpg

Can anyone pipe in with the dates for the Silver Age?

:eek: Can of worms!

I'd suggest, in the interest of keeping your sanity and keeping this thread from derailing, that for the purposes of the contest you adopt the eBay convention: 1956-1969. (thumbs u

Yeah, wiki states 1956-70, but I thought the Bronze Age started in 70. I don't want to really deal with what month in 1970 did the Bronze Age start, so I am steering towards not including 1970 at all. Hope nobody gets upset about this. (thumbs u

Andy

I'm not sure how to pick a greatest, but using the criteria of "sell books" here's my two:

Superman 164. How could a sixties kid resist this off-world barnyard brawl?

"I'm going to give you the beating of your life."

Irresistible, you have to turn the page.

pain4.jpg

My other nominee is Jimmy Olsen 53. The early sixties were all about giant things, from ants to women. Putting a gigantic fish-eyed Olsen on the cover had to be a sure seller. Probably sold a lot of Thrilling Wonder Stories too, since the Olsen cover design was a "direct lift" from that classic pulp.

1027_4_053.jpg

I'm not sure how to pick a greatest, but using the criteria of "sell books" here's my two:

pain4.jpg

My other nominee is Jimmy Olsen 53. The early sixties were all about giant things, from ants to women. Putting a gigantic fish-eyed Olsen on the cover had to be a sure seller. Probably sold a lot of Thrilling Wonder Stories too, since the Olsen cover design was a "direct lift" from that classic pulp.

1027_4_053.jpg

There are many incredible covers in both Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen(mostly early issues). Some of these should be included. Might have time later, but busy this morning. Andy, give us til the weekend before you start the poll up and I will find a bunch more cool covers.

Yeah, wiki states 1956-70, but I thought the Bronze Age started in 70. I don't want to really deal with what month in 1970 did the Bronze Age start, so I am steering towards not including 1970 at all. Hope nobody gets upset about this. (thumbs u

Andy

I think this makes the most sense. Personally, I like to include the 15 centers in the Silver Age, but for purposes of this poll, I think this is probably best.

pain4.jpg

1027_4_053.jpg

There are many incredible covers in both Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen(mostly early issues). Some of these should be included. Might have time later, but busy this morning. Andy, give us til the weekend before you start the poll up and I will find a bunch more cool covers.

There really isn't a crazy rush about this. In my first post I said that I'd accept nominations for a full week. We can certainly let it run longer than that if needed.

Andy

Stop rushing things Andy, it's gonna take months for people to find cool DC Superhero covers!

:jokealert:

Seriously though, I always enjoy seeing these threads. Cept it makes me realize how many nice books I don't own.

Stop rushing things Andy, it's gonna take months for people to find cool DC Superhero covers!

:jokealert:

Seriously though, I always enjoy seeing these threads. Cept it makes me realize how many nice books I don't own.

:roflmao:

That's pretty much the joke running with a lot of Marvel fans. With the number of iconic covers from the same period offered by Marvel, DC seems to be miles behind. Hopefully, this will open the eyes of those zombies and they'll realize that DC Silver Age Superhero really does have something to offer. Well, either that or this will prove them right. :shrug:

Looking forward to the contest, myself, as I am quite unfamiliar with many of the covers.

Andy