• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Didn't Gene take his big bucks out a long time ago? I don't recall feeling an impact.

I think the market has had a reaction due to pressing and the increased numbers of high grade books available. I don't think one or several high rollers leaving has any impact other then their abandoned books becoming available to the market. Which I don't view as a bad thing. I also don't see declining values as the apocolypse. It often seems that the so called purists concern is over the health of the hobby based on high grade values. That just makes no sense to me. The hobby will be fine as long as people like comic books and buy them for that reason. Those of us that like comics will stay here and buy, sell, trade or collect them based on our own personal preferences concerning grade, resto, pressing or value.

I liked tupenny's post. Why don't some of these guys find something worthwhile to complain about. If it sucks so bad, then adapt or leave. It's unlikely you will be missed. The rest of us will enjoy it - up, down, boom, or crash. At the same time, it's everyone's right to express how they feel, and I get a few good laughs out of the petty little comments too.

Go back and read the fake tits/real tits analogy.

I liked that one. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

With so many sweet books coming to market these days, I'm often tempted to bid on some of these books at auction. But, it's gotten to the point where I just have to assume the book has been manipulated to reach its maximum potential by the seller (and I subsequently lose all interest). I mean, since there's basically no downside to it (negligible time, cost, risk of damage and negative stigma), I'm sure even books with defects that can't be pressed out are regularly thrown under the press in the off-chance that the book just gains a more flattering appearance post-flattening. :(

I still don't understand how a book that has achieved its high grade through artificial manipulation can be considered the equal of a book that was cherry-picked off the stands (or even the printing press, like the Gaines EC file copies) and studiously well preserved by its owner(s) over years and decades. The sad thing is, even the aforementioned Gaines File Copies have been pressed. I mean, how absurd is it that Bill Gaines cherry-picked the best copies of his books and preserved them for decades, only to have some greedy snot press his Mad #1. That is just disgusting - how can anyone think that this is what the hobby should be about?

And we all know that Church books have also been pressed (apparently the rich history and lore behind those books wasn't enough for some people, they had to press the hell out of those too), as well as many copies of the top Silver Age books, mere pawns in some twisted opera of greed and ego. Instead of being revered, respected and accepted for what they were, their owners had to throw them under the iron too for the shot at the 0.2 bump.

This hobby truly deserves everything that's coming to it.

I'm not sure if you deserve a Daytime Emmy or a tampon. hm

He gives a well thought post that is one of the greatest anti-pressing posts ever, and you give a caddy comeback line that took you about 20 seconds to come up with. Fact is you have never given a post this well thought out about pressing ever. In fact no one who is pro pressing has given out a response this will thought out. It is always caddy snippets. For some reason you think being dismissive of a great post is the way to go. When it is in fact achieving the opposite desired effect.

Didn't Gene take his big bucks out a long time ago? I don't recall feeling an impact.

I think the market has had a reaction due to pressing and the increased numbers of high grade books available. I don't think one or several high rollers leaving has any impact other then their abandoned books becoming available to the market. Which I don't view as a bad thing. I also don't see declining values as the apocolypse. It often seems that the so called purists concern is over the health of the hobby based on high grade values. That just makes no sense to me. The hobby will be fine as long as people like comic books and buy them for that reason. Those of us that like comics will stay here and buy, sell, trade or collect them based on our own personal preferences concerning grade, resto, pressing or value.

I liked tupenny's post. Why don't some of these guys find something worthwhile to complain about. If it sucks so bad, then adapt or leave. It's unlikely you will be missed. The rest of us will enjoy it - up, down, boom, or crash. At the same time, it's everyone's right to express how they feel, and I get a few good laughs out of the petty little comments too.

How would you feel an impact? You wouldn't. That's like saying if one collector goes out do you feel one? It's a cumulative effect. Are you feeling an impact now that sullypython is selling? Or bronzebruce? If enough collectors leave, you see softening of prices because there are fewer and fewer big buyers to absorb some of the books.

The concern, if you like playing on the super high end, is one of why do it if it's not unique.

Where I agree with you is, if you enjoy it, stay in it, and do so in a way in which you truly enjoy it.

(thumbs u

With so many sweet books coming to market these days, I'm often tempted to bid on some of these books at auction. But, it's gotten to the point where I just have to assume the book has been manipulated to reach its maximum potential by the seller (and I subsequently lose all interest). I mean, since there's basically no downside to it (negligible time, cost, risk of damage and negative stigma), I'm sure even books with defects that can't be pressed out are regularly thrown under the press in the off-chance that the book just gains a more flattering appearance post-flattening. :(

I still don't understand how a book that has achieved its high grade through artificial manipulation can be considered the equal of a book that was cherry-picked off the stands (or even the printing press, like the Gaines EC file copies) and studiously well preserved by its owner(s) over years and decades. The sad thing is, even the aforementioned Gaines File Copies have been pressed. I mean, how absurd is it that Bill Gaines cherry-picked the best copies of his books and preserved them for decades, only to have some greedy snot press his Mad #1. That is just disgusting - how can anyone think that this is what the hobby should be about?

And we all know that Church books have also been pressed (apparently the rich history and lore behind those books wasn't enough for some people, they had to press the hell out of those too), as well as many copies of the top Silver Age books, mere pawns in some twisted opera of greed and ego. Instead of being revered, respected and accepted for what they were, their owners had to throw them under the iron too for the shot at the 0.2 bump.

He gives a well thought post that is one of the greatest anti-pressing posts ever, and you give a caddy comeback line that took you about 20 seconds to come up with. Fact is you have never given a post this well thought out about pressing ever. In fact no one who is pro pressing has given out a response this will thought out. It is always caddy snippets. For some reason you think being dismissive of a great post is the way to go. When it is in fact achieving the opposite desired effect.

Once again you misconstrue fact with opinion. What he gave was a performance intent on enthralling the small minded with pomp and circumstance who can't form opinions on their own. I see he found at least one measure of success.

It's already not possible to buy super low grade readers really cheap anymore...

Now, people are paying silly amounts just for cover fragments and centerfolds, because they can put together a Frankenbook that will then sell for a lot more than the sum of the component parts.

All because people are willing to pay more for that Frankenbook, which makes the venture wothwhile.

Maybe some of us buy pieces because it's fun to own the complete book...kind of like a matching game :shrug:...and we don't feel like paying out thousands for a hi-grade one.

Low grade readers are not so cheap because some people just like to collect old comics and they are more affordable. Trust me, some of the low grade books I own could be pressed, spun and dried and they'd still be low grade.

POST OF THE WEEK AWARD to Sharon !!!

(thumbs u

Once again you misconstrue fact with opinion. What he gave was a performance intent on enthralling the small minded with pomp and circumstance who can't form opinions on their own. I see he found at least one measure of success.

I don't think it was a performance at all Jim, but an earnest expression of his thoughts.

(thumbs u

I don't think it was a performance at all Jim, but an earnest expression of his thoughts.

I don't take anything on these boards with sincerity, Brian. While I have no doubt that Gene truly feels the way he does, I also have no doubt that the post was written with as much flair and grandiosity as he could muster. In fact, it made me wonder if he missed his calling as a lawyer.

(thumbs u

I don't take anything on these boards with sincerity, Brian. While I have no doubt that Gene truly feels the way he does, I also have no doubt that the post was written with as much flair and grandiosity as he could muster. In fact, it made me wonder if he missed his calling as a lawyer.

lol

AND a shot at lawyers? Should I include your posts in those we shouldn't regard with sincerity? I grant you that it was a bit over the top, but as I said I do believe it was genuine.

It's no different than 20 years ago.

Shady people will always exist but there a lot more good guys in the hobby as well.

The good still way out weighs the bad. (thumbs u

I like me some irony in the morning. (thumbs u

How would you feel an impact? You wouldn't. That's like saying if one collector goes out do you feel one? It's a cumulative effect. Are you feeling an impact now that sullypython is selling? Or bronzebruce? If enough collectors leave, you see softening of prices because there are fewer and fewer big buyers to absorb some of the books.

The concern, if you like playing on the super high end, is one of why do it if it's not unique.

Where I agree with you is, if you enjoy it, stay in it, and do so in a way in which you truly enjoy it.

Personally, I'm not concerned about the cumulative effect. I also don't think the cumulative effect of people leaving is that grand. I don't think there is a mass exodus from the hobby due to pressing, or even because of lower values that may be a result of pressing. Sure there are some, and they are probably only missed by the dealer that repeatedly sold them books. I also have the feeling that the number of collectors that have come in to buy these ultra high grade books may be equal to or at least countering in some way those that may be leaving. There are a few here on the boards that have easily filled the shoes of Gene or Bruce.

If anything, the sheer number of auctions for several years now offering repeated high grade SA, along with an incredible amount of GA should be having an impact. Those auction offerings are probably a result of some collectors leaving or cashing in, but the total dollar amount being traded monthly is staggering. Even if that decrease by 90%, it really isn't a concern to me.

I also think that comic collectors that love the hobby will always be there, and the hobby will survive. Sure the value of ultra-high grade may continue to decline, but other areas may strengthen. VF to VF/NM books have already begun to see a stronger demand IMO. Low grade books, while over valued in guide continue to sell consistently if priced right. Low grade keys often go over guide.

My point is many of us love the comic books, and they will always have some sort of value. There will always be a market. It could be, probably will be a much softer market, but that doesn't bother me.

Personally, I'm not concerned about the cumulative effect. I also don't think the cumulative effect of people leaving is that grand. I don't think there is a mass exodus from the hobby due to pressing, or even because of lower values that may be a result of pressing. Sure there are some, and they are probably only missed by the dealer that repeatedly sold them books. I also have the feeling that the number of collectors that have come in to buy these ultra high grade books may be equal to or at least countering in some way those that may be leaving. There are a few here on the boards that have easily filled the shoes of Gene or Bruce.

If anything, the sheer number of auctions for several years now offering repeated high grade SA, along with an incredible amount of GA should be having an impact. Those auction offerings are probably a result of some collectors leaving or cashing in, but the total dollar amount being traded monthly is staggering. Even if that decrease by 90%, it really isn't a concern to me.

I also think that comic collectors that love the hobby will always be there, and the hobby will survive. Sure the value of ultra-high grade may continue to decline, but other areas may strengthen. VF to VF/NM books have already begun to see a stronger demand IMO. Low grade books, while over valued in guide continue to sell consistently if priced right. Low grade keys often go over guide.

My point is many of us love the comic books, and they will always have some sort of value. There will always be a market. It could be, probably will be a much softer market, but that doesn't bother me.

An excerpt from High Grade Comics latest newsletter:

The overall market continues to be slow and steady as I see it. Quality books sell, common high grade material will move when priced fairly. Pre-1965 books still sell very quickly for me. Overall 2009 was one of my best year's ever.

Should I include your posts in those we shouldn't regard with sincerity?

By all means, counselor. :baiting:

You're too funny -- this is why I love you.

Ssshhh! :gossip: The other posters might hear you and stop getting their panties in a bunch. :eek:

Dude is, from my reading of his posts over the past few years, brilliant.

I tend to like to believe that he is, to some measured degree, winking at us a tad, challenging us in good faith a whole bunch, and might have us all snowed just enough to satisfy his intellectual need to emote on a message board about a topic of passion for him.

He is too bright to believe fully that I should, for example & by flamboyant corollary to the sick little ego & greed driven game of pressing comics, repudiate forever the holy imperium of the Catholic Church because of the sadistic artistry of the Inquisition's Moreauvian-like vivisectorium under Torquemada & Co.

I tend to like to believe that he is, to some measured degree, winking at us a tad, challenging us in good faith a whole bunch, and might have us all snowed just enough to satisfy his intellectual need to emote on a message board about a topic of passion for him.

He is too bright to believe fully that I should, for example & by flamboyant corollary to the sick little ego & greed driven game of pressing comics, repudiate forever the holy imperium of the Catholic Church because of the sadistic artistry of the Inquisition's Moreauvian-like vivisectorium under Torquemada & Co.

Hulk head hurt. HULK SMASH.

It saddens me to read this post and surmise that somebody’s love for the hobby is lost due to pressing. I sit back and think of all the wonderful things I could collect and never run into pressing if it bothered me so much.I am only speaking for myself here, but I absolutely refuse to be chased out of this fantastic hobby by anyone or anything such as pressing & greed. All of the positive aspects of collecting funny books far outweigh the bad imho. In the end, the hobby to me has always been what I make it. I choose for it to be a fun escape from the everyday worries of life. Anything I encounter along the way that bothers me I distance myself from,then find another avenue to explore and keep on collecting. (thumbs u

I think there's a segment of high grade collectors who will really miss the idea of being able to acquire an unmanipulated, unpressed books that survived in essentially a natural way. I think that's where a lot of the disappointment lies, the loss of the historical sense of the hobby (in high grade). I've certainly found another way to enjoy it personally.

I don't think there's a mass exodus because of pressing per se, but more because collecting high grade isn't as unique as it once was because supply is much greater for a variety of reasons some of which is due to pressing. I'll say that guys like adamstrange have very unique collections and those guys are in it purely for the joy of comics. I'm sure there are others out there with great collections that aren't getting sold any time soon. While some may have filled the shoes of Gene or Bruce, each collector is unique, and if someone leaves, I still think it's a shame and something we ought not dismiss out of hand.

Hulk head hurt. HULK SMASH.

lol

Never realized there were so many levels of meaning to his participation here.

I just figured he was a guy that had his books pressed, spouted cornpone witticisms, and whose social life revolves around PMs and forum dinners.

Perhaps it's a to-may-to / to-mah-to thing.

(shrug)