• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

With pressing, you are eating into my supply of books and there is no restock. :(You are making decisions that limit my choices.

This seems to be the quote of the day.

It is faulty.

Would it be any different if I, as a high grade collector, said that every time one of you READS a comic (and presumably dings it in the process) you take away from what could potentially be mine.

(I kinda also have a problem with the idea that someone could presume potential ownership of every comic on the planet, but that's a another topic for another day)

Comics are meant to be read though, not pressed.

Comics are manufactured and sold to be what they are, comics.

The manufacture assumes they will be read. After they are read the presumption is that one of three things will happen...they will be passed on to another reader, they will be collected, or they will be destroyed.

Nowhere in the comic manual does it say that comics weren't meant to be pressed. Some folks just choose to, and some folks choose not to.

I don't think manufacturers assumed comics would be read. There whole design is for them to be read.

In my imaginary comic manual it says that comics are not meant to be pressed!

Just curious does anyone think its sad & unfortunate that most of the educated people on these boards only post anymore on these type of threads? :(

Boards for the past year have been filled with lackluster threads about god knows what.

With pressing, you are eating into my supply of books and there is no restock. :(You are making decisions that limit my choices.

It is faulty.

Would it be any different if I, as a high grade collector, said that every time one of you READS a comic (and presumably dings it in the process) you take away from what could potentially be mine.

(I kinda also have a problem with the idea that someone could presume potential ownership of every comic on the planet, but that's a another topic for another day)

Comics are meant to have done whatever the owner wants to do with them. YOU think that they are meant to be read. YOU think they are not meant to be pressed.

I THINK that I can do whatever the F i want to with them. Press them, not press them, submit them, press then submit them, press them and toss them back in my personal collection (which i have done with numerous books, esp Sgt. Fury and Spectre)...

It is faulty.

The manufacture assumes they will be read. After they are read the presumption is that one of three things will happen...they will be passed on to another reader, they will be collected, or they will be destroyed.

Nowhere in the comic manual does it say that comics weren't meant to be pressed. Some folks just choose to, and some folks choose not to.

I don't think manufacturers assumed comics would be read. There whole design is for them to be read.

If you want to boil it down even further than your manufacturers intent, then you are wrong. Comics were meant to be a money making enterprise. Any reason they were bought was secondary to the POV of the manufacturer which was, simply, to make money.

And your last sentence is, as is my opposing, your point of view and is neither correct nor incorrect

me, ive replied to two of your posts. Ragnarok is just around the corner

It is faulty.

Comics are meant to have done whatever the owner wants to do with them. YOU think that they are meant to be read. YOU think they are not meant to be pressed.

I THINK that I can do whatever the F i want to with them. Press them, not press them, submit them, press then submit them, press them and toss them back in my personal collection (which i have done with numerous books, esp Sgt. Fury and Spectre)...

And like I said earlier in this thread that I have come to terms with that. Go nuts pressing books. But when you pass them on it should be disclosed what was done with them!

I can show other hobbies where similar instances happen.

For example 3 3/4 GI Joes and the figures that come with accessory hoses. While it is accepted that you can use repro hoses on your figures and even sell them with repro hoses they would at least ask that the person selling the figure informs the buyer that it is with a repro hose and not the original.

Is having a repro hose a big deal, not really, but they still ask that you inform buyers about it due to the fact that you can alter the repro hoses to look like the originals with out being able to tell.

It is faulty.

If you want to boil it down even further than your manufacturers intent, then you are wrong. Comics were meant to be a money making enterprise. Any reason they were bought was secondary to the POV of the manufacturer which was, simply, to make money.

:eek:

It is faulty.

And your last sentence is, as is my opposing, your point of view and is neither correct nor incorrect

Sure they where in the business of making money but their intent was to manufacture a reading material to sell. Like I said there was no assumption about if they where going to be read or not. That was their design which leads to my main point comics where meant to be read.

And don't worry you are safe until December 21, 2012.

I collect comics because I like them, but a huge part of my enjoyment is being able to share their fine points with others. None of us is collecting in a vacuum.

+1

+1

buttock shared his finer points with me in a Baltimore hotel room and I've never been the same since.

Really. Spending absurd amounts of money on decaying, old paper goods that 99% of the population deems worthless, and that sit in a box in our closets seen by few if anyone else doesn't seem at all greedy?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I would rather just call a spade a spade and leave the "greedy presser" comments out of it. From where I am sitting, collecting seems pretty self serving, but your mileage may vary.

Andy, this is just extreme reductionism. You can make literally ANYTHING greedy if you use this "logic". You've expanded the definition of "greed" beyond what it really means to try and make a point.

Altruistic behavior is nothing more than satisfying a personal need to feel like you're contributing. That's "greedy" by this thinking.

Merely living is "greedy" because you're utilizing resources that other, more worthy people could be using.

However, none of that is "greedy" because true "greed" implies an excessive, unnecessary, wanton extreme of the spectrum of gathering. Most of us aren't collecting in a greedy fashion, we're just collecting.

Dan, pretend you are an outsider looking in. People on this board routinely spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a single comic. Do you seriously think that most people wouldn't consider that excessive and unnecessary, especially given the fact that most books exist in reprints or cheaper lower grades? It's not reductionism. You don't have to rise to Nic Cage levels of excess to exhibit greedy behavior.

I think you are protesting a bit too much. Like I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just think the distinction between "greedy pressers" and collecting on the level that most people on this board collect is laughable hair splitting.