• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

I'm still converting my CD's, just finished with my Toadies, Tool collection and now working on U2. This process takes forever!

Sounds like you can save yourself and a lot of time, throw them out, and get back to the things you do best, like post when drunk. (worship)

I am :banana:

:whee:

I tried, have run out of beer, so am heading to bed. Hopefully none of those U2 albums are after The Joshua Tree.

Joshua Tree, War and Achtung Baby. Now working on Rufus Wainright, Ween and Weezer.

Ok, I'll give you a pass up to Achtung Baby, being a defender of our country and all. But after that I gotta draw the line somewhere. Any XTC at the end of that alphabet?

XTC.......Skylarking :cloud9: The Sgt. Peppers of it's time!

No XTC, I like good music remember.

What are you talking about, Mayor of Simpleton should be your theme song. :makepoint:

I'm still converting my CD's, just finished with my Toadies, Tool collection and now working on U2. This process takes forever!

Sounds like you can save yourself and a lot of time, throw them out, and get back to the things you do best, like post when drunk. (worship)

I am :banana:

:whee:

I tried, have run out of beer, so am heading to bed. Hopefully none of those U2 albums are after The Joshua Tree.

Joshua Tree, War and Achtung Baby. Now working on Rufus Wainright, Ween and Weezer.

Ok, I'll give you a pass up to Achtung Baby, being a defender of our country and all. But after that I gotta draw the line somewhere. Any XTC at the end of that alphabet?

XTC.......Skylarking :cloud9: The Sgt. Peppers of it's time!

No XTC, I like good music remember.

I thought you did :baiting:lol

Getting cranky in my old age?

One of those people who used to use those VF++ and Mint- grades is on your NOD board. I can discuss Ritter's current grading since he still uses the 100 point system. I was hard pressed to find a difference with a 85, 86, 87 or 88. Would you like me to bring up the secret code grading methods like Harley uses? How about the old 41 point Metro system? So those Mail order and show guys were slapping ++++'s on their labels? I guess that's just as bad as just having a dollar sign on yours? You are/were a show dealer so I guess you are dissing yourself?

What suggestion have you come up with to improve this hobby? I'm open to see something constructive coming out of your posts.

No one could tell the difference between a 9.2/9.4 or a 9.4/9.6?

Wow, here's my new suggestion for NOD.

If you REALLY want to help the hobby.

Start grading classes. Charge for the training courses. Make the organization money. Run them at conventions. Imagine the impact your organization could have on the hobby if people learned how to grade. Imagine how the hobby could change just if customers and dealers started grading consistently. Establish certified dealers across the country that can do one on one training if people want that.

Eventually maybe somebody out there will know how to grade because obviously a well known Overstreet advisor can't tell the difference between a 9.2/9.4 or a 9.4/9.6.

Grading is subjective is a COP-OUT for those who are afraid to admit they don't know how to grade or are afraid to admit that the grading guide contradicts itself.

C'mon, Bob, before CGC the only dealers who used these marginal grades were mail order guys and show dealers who would add a ++++++ to every grade. They were meaningless. The difference between a NM- and NM was NOTICEABLE. With CGC, one day it's a 9.2 the next a 9.4 or even a 9.0.

And why bring NOD into this? Getting cranky in your old age I think...

I guess I've always been the type of guy who just can't sit still when something wrong is going on and give it tacit approval by doing nothing.

I'm believe that this hobby is better than all the stuff I read on here. I used to press books and I'm on record as saying it's not restoration. But the proliferation of pressing and the preying on the uninformed has led me to change my stance on the practice.

I'm also the kind of guy that when I see what I think are unethical and/or immoral practices going on - will say something. Even if it's unpopular. Even when I know I'll be vilified. The good part of all this is I've conducted myself the same way my whole life, and I've learned to live with the criticism. I have a conscience. And my conscience leads me to act the way I do.

Here's something constructive:

1. CGC needs to revamp their grading process to be more consistent and accurate. If it means charging more for their service - do it.

2. CGC needs to rethink their role in the crack/press/resub scheme. If it means incorporating new, more expensive procedures into their system - do it.

I'm not anti-CGC. I am against poor quality control. I want CGC to give me the confidence that the grade I'll get will be accurate, and that they can determine if the book has been trimmed.

CGC will determine where our hobby will go in the future. That's why I've singled them out.

How's that?

And the old Overstreet grading scale was just fine until it was decided that CGC needed a 10-point system. I was cool with that until it was determined that there had to be 5 sub-grades between 9 and 10!!! :o

When Gary Carter ran his grading test for the advisors in Baltimore at the CGC conference, most of my grades were very close or a tad too conservative. I could live with that. Today, they would be laughed at and snapped up by dealers as prime pressing candidates.

How do I imbed a youtube vid? you think Dap kings are good, I have something better

When in "Reply" mode make sure you change "Markup" to "Using HTML and UBB Code" and you should be able to copy & paste URL tag

How do I imbed a youtube vid? you think Dap kings are good, I have something better

On the You Tube page, under the name of the person who posted the video, there are two URLs. You want the second one that says "embed". Paste it as a post here. Down below on your post, where it says "using UBBCode" change to "using HTML and UBBCode". Then submit. Easy as pie.

Gary,

What I just dont understand, and the point that you continually bring up, is how you can see something wrong with someone buying a book, crack/press/resubing it, and then making money off it is wrong.

And not just wrong but an offense that is intolerable.

I see very little difference with it than a dealer buying books from anyone else at a lower price than they intend to sell it.

And the people who are selling the CGC books that are being CPRd are probably more in touch with the practice than the people who are selling their books to you, me, Bob, or anyone else at wholesale prices.

The indignation on your end just baffles me to no end. The uproar you got in over the FF 112 still amazes me, especially as how the FIRST SELLER OF THE BOOK didnt find anything at all wrong with it.

No Gary, I dont think you are a dishonest swindler and I apologize if that came across that way. I have never heard anything but good about your business and your dealings with others. So, if I have offended you on that, then I apologize.

Apology accepted, Arex.

My indignation with CPR stems from the fact that it couldn't exist if CGC would accept responsibility for their role in the practice and change their procedures. If a book receives a certain grade, and subsequently the book is manipulated and resubmitted it should be noted on the label that this book has been manipulated (I don't care what color label it gets). If it means adding cost to the process (the detection of manipulation, high-res scans, data base monitoring, added personnel etc.) then they should do it.

But because this practice would probably result in lower profits, they will hide behind their standard defenses of "pressing is not detectable, we don't know if a book has been graded before unless it has it's resubbed with its label, etc.)." This conflict of interest - providing a service that claims to certify what a book is, yet not to the degree that collectors demand - is the heart of the matter.

And the FF 112 matter was so egregious that I had to say something. Sure the guy sold the book for $3,000, but someone profited to the tune of $20,000. That just ain't right.