• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

The only thing I find odd about all of this is why hasn’t Brent come on the boards and say his piece about this? (shrug)

I am sure he has been reading this thread.

I mean this is what this whole thread was supposedly started for.

People have lives outside these boards.

:roflmao:

Seriously? :eyeroll:

The only thing I find odd about all of this is why hasn’t Brent come on the boards and say his piece about this? (shrug)

They do :o

I am going to need some proof (shrug)

When did this first begin....and has anyone died from it yet ???

Next time I buy a book or two that, as the owner, I intend to press, I'm going to offer it here for sale first. I expect a custodian to step up and post an " I'll take it".

Mike, if you're serious, I think that's cool. Not that I don't detect the hint of sarcasm.

Next time I buy a book or two that, as the owner, I intend to press, I'm going to offer it here for sale first. I expect a custodian to step up and post an " I'll take it".

Mike, if you're serious, I think that's cool. Not that I don't detect the hint of sarcasm.

lol Just a bit of sarcasm, but I suppose it may not be a bad idea, it would allow those that prefer to avoid pressed books a good opportunity. Of, course there would be stiff competition from others that don't intend to be the custodian.

The question is. Do those that value unpressed books over pressed books really value them more?

Will a "purist" (for lack of a better word) pay as much for an unpressed 9.2 as the market will command for a pressed 9.4?

Of course, it would be wrong of you to offer it at the "potentalized" price point.

Custodians shouldn't have to pay molested prices for unmolested books. lol

Of course, it would be wrong of you to offer it at the "potentalized" price point.

Custodians shouldn't have to pay molested prices for unmolested books. lol

Free shipping? :wishluck:

While I'd be willing to pay a bit of a premium for a comic that I was sure was unpressed, 9.4 prices for a 9.2 book would be a bit much.

How could you be certain that it had never been pressed. It may have gained a pressable defect since being pressed.

There's no certainty that a comic would obtain the higher grade if it was pressed.

It still strikes me as unfair to pay extra for the seller to not do something that is seen by the buyer as detrimental to the book.

Mike, While I certainly see your point of view as a seller not leaving money on the table, I'm sure you can see mine too.

So.....is Brent still in NOD?

Joey,

As far as I know he is still a member and still Chairman. He has broken no rules so I don't understand why anyone thinks there should be any action against him for this. I know Gary, Brad and maybe some others have strong feelings about this and I respect their opinions, but NOD is not an anti-pressing organization today, regardless of the intentions of its founders four or five years ago or what some anti-pressers who aren't even members might want it to be or what some some pro-presser try to label it as. Members have a variety of opinions on the matter, just like the boardies here.

If the point you are trying to make is that it is hypocritical to ignore what Brent is doing considering how you were treated, then in my personal opinion I would agree with that. I was opposed to what happened with you. I did not support the rule change at the time. It was, again imo, hastily crafted and clumbsily thrown together to single out an individual. Changing the rules in midstream like that was completely unfair, and that rule in any case simply made very little sense. I felt strongly that it was just plain wrong and I almost didn't renew my membership that fall (instead I went the opposite way and upped it to the full tier so that my vote would have more weight in future ballots).

I have been very vocal in my opposition to this rule over the past year since I've been a officer. I know that some members of NOD disagree with my position and others agree, but for what it's worth that is my take on it. To censure Brent for this would simply be to repeat the same injustice that was done to you.

:golfclap:

Jeff and Steve,

I would agree with your post with just one exception. If you were to take no action with Brent I would have to ask for an apology. Not one from the NOD as a whole but from Marnin himself here on the boards. I don't want a phone call, an email or a text. I want it here to make up for the way I was publicly treated. You want to be fair and limit any injustices, I feel this would be fair and just.

He's too busy.....squashing books

While I'd be willing to pay a bit of a premium for a comic that I was sure was unpressed, 9.4 prices for a 9.2 book would be a bit much.

How could you be certain that it had never been pressed. It may have gained a pressable defect since being pressed.

There's no certainty that a comic would obtain the higher grade if it was pressed.

It still strikes me as unfair to pay extra for the seller to not do something that is seen by the buyer as detrimental to the book.

Mike, While I certainly see your point of view as a seller not leaving money on the table, I'm sure you can see mine too.

Yes I do see your point, although I hear an awful lot about the holiness of these unmolested books.

With the "large segment" that prefers un-manipulated books (and detests pressed books), and the decreasing number of un-manipulated books available, shouldn't they go for a premium over what the other segment of the hobby is willing to pay for a pressed book? That is a similar circumstance to restored books.

I was being sarcastic, insinuating that "custodians" should buy the book to save it, and no, it would not be fair to pay extra to save the book from suspected detriment. However, if it is truly an undisturbed gem to the potential buyer, I don't see why they would not be fine paying a premium.

Yes I do see your point, although I hear an awful lot about the holiness of these unmolested books.

With the "large segment" that prefers un-manipulated books (and detests pressed books), and the decreasing number of un-manipulated books available, shouldn't they go for a premium over what the other segment of the hobby is willing to pay for a pressed book? That is a similar circumstance to restored books.

I was being sarcastic, insinuating that "custodians" should buy the book to save it, and no, it would not be fair to pay extra to save the book from suspected detriment. However, if it is truly an undisturbed gem to the potential buyer, I don't see why they would not be fine paying a premium.

Well, like I said, I'd be willing to pay a premium but I guess it's a question of how much?

Paying the equivalent of the grade difference seems a lot to me but then again, I've never understood the huge amounts that some collectors are willing to pay for very small difference in condition at the higher end of collecting. Even more confusing when they're paying these amounts of money just because the label tells them that there is a very small diference in condition.

One of the dislikes that I have for pressing is that it keeps pushing prices up higher than they would otherwise be. With more pressers willing to pay higher prices just to get the extra profit from the grade increase it leaves the collectors in my league, less able to afford the comics that we would like so in effect, we are already paying extra due to the practice which makes it even harder to swallow that we would now have to pay even more if unpressed books command a much higher premium.

BTW, I did the the sarcasm about the "custodians".

I would believe that a few people on these Boards would step up to the plate and pay a premium for such books. Guys like F_T, Awe4One, Beyonder, and a few others likely would if the book fit within their collecting parameters and was legitimately untouched.

I would believe that a few people on these Boards would step up to the plate and pay a premium for such books. Guys like F_T, Awe4One, Beyonder, and a few others likely would if the book fit within their collecting parameters and was legitimately untouched.

But then how long until the complaining begins about having to pay extra to buy books that have not been pressed?

But then how long until the complaining begins about having to pay extra to buy books that have not been pressed?

Well, if Pressing is indeed Restoration to these folks, paying a premium for an unrestored book, compared to a "restored" one, shouldn't be anything new, now should it? ;)

Well, if Pressing is indeed Restoration to these folks, paying a premium for an unrestored book, compared to a "restored" one, shouldn't be anything new, now should it? ;)

Maybe if somebody can come up with a reliable "certified unpressed" grading service then there really would be an extra premium due.