• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

As Dale said, this has boiled down to complete nonsense.

With that, no one is ever talking about disassembly except Davenport. I have no idea why.

Yep, nothing but nonsense now.

I just voiced an opinion. Maybe it is nonsense, obviously was a big mistake.

Either way NDP and DP are ALWAYS part of the pressing debate. Why? Because NDP and DP are BOTH acceptable and NOT "restoration". Either way, blue Universal labels.

I'm out. :hi:

My apologies, it's not nonsense to voice your opinion, and I agree that DP is very invasive. It's nonsense to not recognize the magnitude of difference between trimming and NDP. It would also be nonsense for anyone to not recognize the difference between DP and NDP.

As proven already since myself, Joey, and Dale have already spoken against DP, even the majority of pro-pressers aren't accepting of it. (More proof that most would not accept trimming no matter if CGC had a different opinion of it.)

Does CGC not consider DP, restoration? I honestly don't know. I've never thought about it. Probably because it seems the only time it would be done is with other restoration procedures.

I'm guess I'm wrong, but I didn't realize that DP was always part of the pressing debate. It has minimal relevance since it's not the widely used practice that is going on in the hobby.

Emphasis mine:

"CGC does not consider the following to be restoration and comics with these conditions may receive their blue Universal label: tape removal, dry cleaning (i.e., erasing pencil writing or surface grime with an eraser or other object), tucking loose wraps back under a staple, disassembly and reassembly of a comic, certain staple replacement, and pressing."

Not worth discussing though. (tsk) Nincompoop territory.

I'm more intrigued by the words, "certain staple replacement."

With that, no one is ever talking about disassembly except Davenport. I have no idea why.

Either way NDP and DP are ALWAYS part of the pressing debate. Why? Because NDP and DP are BOTH acceptable and NOT "restoration". Either way, blue Universal labels.

My apologies, it's not nonsense to voice your opinion, and I agree that DP is very invasive. It's nonsense to not recognize the magnitude of difference between trimming and NDP. It would also be nonsense for anyone to not recognize the difference between DP and NDP.

As proven already since myself, Joey, and Dale have already spoken against DP, even the majority of pro-pressers aren't accepting of it. (More proof that most would not accept trimming no matter if CGC had a different opinion of it.)

Does CGC not consider DP, restoration? I honestly don't know. I've never thought about it. Probably because it seems the only time it would be done is with other restoration procedures.

I'm guess I'm wrong, but I didn't realize that DP was always part of the pressing debate. It has minimal relevance since it's not the widely used practice that is going on in the hobby.

Emphasis mine:

"CGC does not consider the following to be restoration and comics with these conditions may receive their blue Universal label: tape removal, dry cleaning (i.e., erasing pencil writing or surface grime with an eraser or other object), tucking loose wraps back under a staple, disassembly and reassembly of a comic, certain staple replacement, and pressing."

Probably the old OS definition about replacing with a similarly 'vintage' staple...

Oh, and for anybody who thinks CGC didn't deliberately set out to embrace pressing, you might want to consider why else pulling a book to pieces and then restoring it to it's original order isn't 'restoration'. meh

Well, there you go. That's at least two CGC policies that even most pro-pressers disagree with. Does anyone want to admit that trimming will always be disagreeable also? (shrug)

I have never understood the "because CGC says so" argument. Sure, I agree with CGC on pressing, but not disassembly. The staple thing is up in the air. If I had an FF #2 with a rusty staple and I replaced it with a staple from another FF#2 that was, say, missing the cover, then that should be acceptable and receive a blue staple. New staples = purple.

Probably the old OS definition about replacing with a similarly 'vintage' staple...

Oh, and for anybody who thinks CGC didn't deliberately set out to embrace pressing, you might want to consider why else pulling a book to pieces and then restoring it to it's original order isn't 'restoration'. meh

Yeah I'd love to hear the rational on that one but I doubt anyone will step up and give us a good answer. meh Because they can't detect it? :idea:

Emphasis mine:

Using an unverified quote from wikipedia (tsk)

"Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration."

http://www.cgccomics.com/faq/index.asp#question18

Where does it say anything definite about disassembly and reassembly?

Emphasis mine:

Describing it as pulling a book to pieces might be a little OTT there, Nick. :eyeroll:

Emphasis mine:

"Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration."

Where does it say anything about disassembly and reassembly?

Ooh, busted. That's dirty pool, Dav. (tsk)

Emphasis mine:

Where does it say anything definite about disassembly and reassembly?

The first sentence. (read between the lines). :gossip:

Well, there you go. That's at least two CGC policies that even most pro-pressers disagree with. Does anyone want to admit that trimming will always be disagreeable also? (shrug)

I have never understood the "because CGC says so" argument. Sure, I agree with CGC on pressing, but not disassembly. The staple thing is up in the air. If I had an FF #2 with a rusty staple and I replaced it with a staple from another FF#2 that was, say, missing the cover, then that should be acceptable and receive a blue staple. New staples = purple.

It has generally been acceptable (for decades) acc. to OSPG on lower grade books to allow replaced staples.

I've posted 42 times in this thread, this is number 43. Someone kick me in the nuts already. doh!

I think it's funny that you actually counted.

:insane:

Regarding pressing and trimming being the same I ask you try something for me. Ask a good friend to place a piece of plywood over your hand. Then add a 15 pound weight over it. Leave it in place for an hour.

Now I want you to ask another friend to put your hand into a paper trimmer and slice off the tips of your fingers. Let me know if it's the same to you.

Wow, now there's some logic. (thumbs u

Ok, while I'm doing that why don't you get two friends.

Have one slice off the tips of your fingers. Have the other one completely disassemble your body down to it's parts and put it back together.

Let me know which one felt more invasive.

Exactly how many time did you hit your head as a kid? Try and support your argument..try. If you do I may take you seriously.

Emphasis mine:

I'm not busted, nor playing dirty pool. The quote is from an old thread: "Access denied" Otherwise I'd put a link to it. It's 100% genuine, and others may remember it from the 4.0 to 9.0 revelation.

Emphasis mine:

Describing it as pulling a book to pieces might be a little OTT there, Nick. :eyeroll:

So, reduced a comic down to 16 wraps and a cover, all spread out on your desk, is not 'pulling a book to pieces'? :baiting:

Emphasis mine:

I'm not busted, nor playing dirty pool. The quote is from an old thread: "Access denied" Otherwise I'd put a link to it. It's 100% genuine, and others may remember it from the 4.0 to 9.0 revelation.

was it the manufactured gold thread?

So, reduced a comic down to 16 wraps and a cover, all spread out on your desk, is not 'pulling a book to pieces'? :baiting:

No, that's taking it apart. Pulling it to pieces would result in confetti. :makepoint:

Emphasis mine:

The Boy Comics one. Yup. (thumbs u

It was also addressed in the Green Lantern Qualified/Universal transformation thread, if I remember rightly? hm

Emphasis mine:

So, that makes it legitimate?