• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

There was pressing of comics before CGC for sure, but nothing like what is going on right now, not even close.

If there was no slabbing, no 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8's, if there we're no huge price jumps between those few grade bumps, all which we're brought on by CGC, there would no way be the rampant pressing that is going on today.

There's also more people on the earth now than there was in 1985, more dollars being spent on comics due to in part a devalued $US (you get less for your money) and more awareness of the hobby due to media coverage. Middle class wages have increased over the decades as well, allowing people to spend more on consumables.

There have always been guide multiples for *perfect Mint* books...it's just that the average person did not have the ability to quantify those grades. Now CGC does it for the average person.

Before CGC if you had a perfect Mint SA or even a BA books you could sell that book for 3-5-10 times guide depending on the book.

Those multiples still existed. You just couldn't quantify them as easily.

I don't know, I don't think anyone would even consider pressing a book that already looked to be a 9.4 if it weren't for CGC because no one would even notice the difference.

I sometimes wonder what this hobby would be like today if there was no internet.

Where it was 20 years ago. You could only buy books at shows. A dealer or brick and mortar store was the only place to really sell collections. More power was given to the collector with the availability the Internet provides.

I guess there was quite the buying explosion once the Gerber PJ's came out though. With the internet now I can see almost any comic within a minute.

I don't know, I don't think anyone would even consider pressing a book that already looked to be a 9.4 if it weren't for CGC because no one would even notice the difference.

If someone bought a book that went for $100 or $500 in top guide but could get 3 times that if it was "perfect Mint" do you think they would attempt to press it?

That was a lot of dough for a comic 15 years ago.

Do you think an anal collector who was only interested in perfect Mint books would press a bend out of his book to make it fit his collection?

Many of us have done it through the years. I remember as a kid trying to flatten out books and erase dirt. Many of us did it.

If someone bought a book that went for $100 or $500 in top guide but could get 3 times that if it was "perfect Mint" do you think they would attempt to press it?

Do you think an anal collector who was only interested in perfect Mint books would press a bend out of his book to make it fit his collection?

Many of us have done it through the years. I remember as a kid trying to flatten out books and erase dirt. Many of us did it.

Roy come on, I hear what you're saying. But lets be real. There has been a MAJOR increase in pressing since the advent of CGC.

I am sure pressing would still be taking place in the hobby. But nothing like what is going on today. No way in hell.

I don't think they would be pressing non-color breaking creases. I would still press my Northland with the wrinkled back cover.

Roy come on, I hear what you're saying. But lets be real. There has been a MAJOR increase in pressing since the advent of CGC.

I am sure pressing would still be taking place in the hobby. But nothing like what is going on today. No way in hell.

Most of the dry mount presses sold in the last year on ebay were to comic collectors.

So what are you saying: that CGC is to blame?

All CGC did is make a book easier to market on the internet.

The market stepping up and started buying up those books.

Don't blame CGC, blame the people who are willing to spend more on comics than most people earn...and many (not all) of those people that are spending money on those books do not mind owning pressed books in their collections.

I don't know why people are always looking to lay some sort of *blame* when it comes to pressing.

It's a natural progression for a paper product, based on the way even the youngest, innocent collector (with no nefarious intentions) would try to improve their own personal books.

Most of the dry mount presses sold in the last year on ebay were to comic collectors.

Is there somebody keeping track of this?

You Floridians count the strangest things.

:insane:

All CGC did is make a book easier to market on the internet.

The market stepping up and started buying up those books.

Don't blame CGC, blame the people who are willing to spend more on comics than most people earn...and many (not all) of those people that are spending money on those books do not mind owning pressed books in their collections.

I don't know why people are always looking to lay some sort of *blame* when it comes to pressing.

It's a natural progression for a paper product, based on the way even the youngest, innocent collector (with no nefarious intentions) would try to improve their own personal books.

No, I'm not really blaming anyone. It's just sad in a way. That is if you're not into pressing.

May be, but I doubt it has anything to do with collectors pressing books for their own personal collection, with no intention of selling.

By that argument, you could say that any form of resto is a "natural progression for a paper product".

Is there somebody keeping track of this?

You Floridians count the strangest things.

:insane:

No, but I know who has been outbidding me on most of them.

By that argument, you could say that any form of resto is a "natural progression for a paper product".

True, but I'm pretty sure that even from a young age I understood that color touch and trimming were a little more invasive and nefarious...or unethical.

CGC simply made the comic book easier to market over the internet.

Pressing was going on long before that.

I've heard this stated previously in this thread. I would really like one person to step forward who, prior to the year 2000, was regularly pressing books that were already graded NM.

(shrug)

This is an advert from 1985 OSPG. 15 years before CGC came around.

Safe to say pressing was being performed, although primarily on GA books at the time as they were the big money books back then.

OVST15gerberTrim.jpg

Sure, that ad lists pressing as a service available. Probably used as part of the overall process or to remove severe issues like spine roll or water wrinkling.

Still waiting for the evidence that people regularly pressed books that were already considered NM.

You guys can keep preaching that negative outlook, which I really don't think some of you honestly believe. Trimming, under any circumstances, will never have the slimmest of acceptance. Yes, some would take that angle if they thought it could make them money, but the money would not be there, because if CGC came out and said ,"we can't detect it. We are not going to label it.", the whole house of cards would come crashing down. CGC would loose credibity and likely fail, and a book in a slab wouldn't be worth jack mess.

Mike, please stop making sense with your posts as you’re going to upset the insane members hear.

your Cowboys. :foryou:

Whose "blaming" CGC? It's an unintended consequence.

To deny that the slab market/.2 grading increment system didn't drive the exponential growth of pressing seems to be a denial of reality.

You guys can keep preaching that negative outlook, which I really don't think some of you honestly believe. Trimming, under any circumstances, will never have the slimmest of acceptance. Yes, some would take that angle if they thought it could make them money, but the money would not be there, because if CGC came out and said ,"we can't detect it. We are not going to label it.", the whole house of cards would come crashing down. CGC would loose credibity and likely fail, and a book in a slab wouldn't be worth jack mess.

Mike, please stop making sense with your posts as you’re going to upset the insane members hear.

your Cowboys. :foryou:

I miss something? If CGC says it's ok, then it is gospel. Can't have things both ways now.

And pressing is resto, just a lighter form of resto like dry cleaning. Which are both acceptable.

Whose "blaming" CGC? It's an unintended consequence.

To deny that the slab market/.2 grading increment system didn't drive the exponential growth of pressing seems to be a denial of reality.

Yes denying that would actually be top 10 dumbest things said in 2010. Seriously raw books just arent worth pressing the way graded books are. No slab market, much less pressing.