• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Has there ever been a poll, for pressing and against? I'm guessing there has, if so, what was the percentages 50/50?

I'd like to see the poll separated out into "buying" and "selling". My guess is that the scales will tip towards "against" in the buying poll and tip towards "for" in the selling poll.

Not here as I have bought pressed books and will always pay the same whether the book was pressed or not for that given grade.

I can't believe anybody would say with a straight face that they would pay the same amount. To some, being unpressed is more valuable b/c they "un-altered". Some see them as more valuable because they might press into something more. [Disregarding whether some books already pressed could be bumped again.]

The real question is will someone pay a premium for a book which: 1) has not been pressed and 2) won't benefit gradewise from pressing?

Has there ever been a poll, for pressing and against? I'm guessing there has, if so, what was the percentages 50/50?

I'd like to see the poll separated out into "buying" and "selling". My guess is that the scales will tip towards "against" in the buying poll and tip towards "for" in the selling poll.

Not here as I have bought pressed books and will always pay the same whether the book was pressed or not for that given grade.

I can't believe anybody would say with a straight face that they would pay the same amount. To some, being unpressed is more valuable b/c they "un-altered". Some see them as more valuable because they might press into something more. [Disregarding whether some books already pressed could be bumped again.]

The real question is will someone pay a premium for a book which: 1) has not been pressed and 2) won't benefit gradewise from pressing?

My face is perfectly straight as I'm saying this:

I couldn't care less whether a book has been pressed or not.

I would pay the same amount for a book whether it's been pressed or not.

Just to address your first sentence. I absolutely would pay the same price. Pressed or not means nothing to me at this point in time. I say this with full respect for those who wholeheartedly disagree, love virgin books or otherwise believe pressing to be sinful. It's merely my decision that I don't give 2 shiits about whether or not a book's been pressed. In fact, I don't even bother to ask people when I buy. I just really don't care. That's me though.

I just want comics to tank for awhile. I collect books cause I like them, not value.

I like 'em too.

Everyone has a different interest. Just like in politics and business.

I just like the art and stories. The money is the negative IMO

...but you sell comics for a living...or at least used to.

(shrug)

Had to get money to buy books for my collection. Hate working to buy comics. And dont worry I am gearing up for a sales thread soon. Have about 25 boxes to move. :pullhair:

I believe you guys who will pay the same price for a pressed book as an unpressed one. I guess I just don't understand why. An unpressed one can be pressed down the road for the grade bump and corresponding rise in value. That'll come in handy when it's selling time. This has nothing to do with any ethical questions or wanting unaltered books. This is simply about $$$...the very basis for pressing.

It's like the boardie with the sig line "But I'm NOT interested in setting GPA records". I'm sure that's true when it comes to buying. I don't think it applies to selling, though. When it comes time to sell (and the majority of us won't be buried with our comics), we'd all like to get as much as we can. At that point, a pressed book will not be worth as much as an unpressed one.

I am sure pressing would still be taking place in the hobby. But nothing like what is going on today. No way in hell.

So what are you saying: that CGC is to blame?

Whose "blaming" CGC? It's an unintended consequence.

To deny that the slab market/.2 grading increment system didn't drive the exponential growth of pressing seems to be a denial of reality.

True, the grading increments provided an engine. Halperin's "crack-out game" imported from coins, combined with that "non-original material" resto-caveat, produced jet fuel.

And it was all quite well thought out, too.

I dunno...I think 'blame' isn't far from the mark. hm

When it comes time to sell (and the majority of us won't be buried with our comics), we'd all like to get as much as we can. At that point, a pressed book will not be worth as much as an unpressed one.

How will you be able to tell if the book was pressed or not? If you won't be able to, then that last sentence goes out the window....

Anyway, forget pressing. Just checked your CAF :o

You got the cover for Nexus # 1 (worship)

It is a true gem, congrats! :applause:

I believe you guys who will pay the same price for a pressed book as an unpressed one. I guess I just don't understand why. An unpressed one can be pressed down the road for the grade bump and corresponding rise in value. That'll come in handy when it's selling time. This has nothing to do with any ethical questions or wanting unaltered books. This is simply about $$$...the very basis for pressing.

It's like the boardie with the sig line "But I'm NOT interested in setting GPA records". I'm sure that's true when it comes to buying. I don't think it applies to selling, though. When it comes time to sell (and the majority of us won't be buried with our comics), we'd all like to get as much as we can. At that point, a pressed book will not be worth as much as an unpressed one.

Yes, but that presupposes that I care at all about making money. Pretty much every book I buy is for me. If I should happen to have to sell one of my books, especially if I haven't had it long, I typically sell it for what I put into it or slightly less. I have sold maybe a handful of books for profit and none of those were bought with the intention of "flipping".

I have had 2 books pressed for my personal collection (aesthetic reasons). I don't press myself, wouldn't know the first thing about it.

Simply put, I would never buy a book with any intent to press it for purely monetary gain. I'm not saying it's never going to happen. I'm just saying that when I buy a book, it's because I want the book. Not because I think it can be "potentialized".

I don't care about that stuff. I just want the dern books. I collect comics afterall.

When it comes time to sell (and the majority of us won't be buried with our comics), we'd all like to get as much as we can. At that point, a pressed book will not be worth as much as an unpressed one.

How will you be able to tell if the book was pressed or not? If you won't be able to, then that last sentence goes out the window....

Thanks, Steve!

You're right, if I can't tell if a book has been pressed or not, then it's a moot point. But if I have a chance to buy a 9.4 for the same price from either a. a seller who doesn't say either way and b. a seller who disclosed that it's been pressed, I'll take my chances and go with "a". There's a chance that it might not be pressed whereas in "b" it's already been "potentialized".

Which is why I think NOD is a nice idea, but entirely unrealistic. And also why, if given a choice, most collectors will buy unpressed in the same grade when they can once they realize this.

That would be correct if all unpressed books would benefit from being pressed. They won't.

As a matter of fact, the vast majority of slabbed books would gain absolutely nothing from being pressed seeing that the defects that keep the grade down aren't pressable.

And that doesn't even get into the argument of there being no way to tell whether a book has been pressed or not, unless you're the one that bought the book straight off the rack. I mean, people can handily claim that they've never pressed it, but, hey, people lie all the time.

I find it much easier to just ignore the issue altogether.

Which is why I think NOD is a nice idea, but entirely unrealistic. And also why, if given a choice, most collectors will buy unpressed in the same grade when they can once they realize this.

Of course they would buy the unpressed copy. :applause: I mean, only a dunce would buy an already pressed 9.4, to press it again and hope for a 9.8. :fear:

Why, well because I don't believe people when they say a book hasn't been pressed anyway. Not saying they are dishonest, but they have no proof that they can show me to believe otherwise even if it is a OO collection.

If I buy a CGC graded book off eBay how I am supposed to know if the book over all the years and all the buyers/sellers that book for certain has not been pressed. (shrug)

I don't so who cares, and I just buy it, plus you have to believe pressing is restoration to care to begin with, which I do not.

You also have to able to tell if the book was pressed, which NO ONE as of todays date can tell with any pattern of consistency. None what so ever, and assuming a book was pressed is also not the way to go.

Basically it's all going to get mixed in and no one will be able to #1 stop it, #2 Control it, and #3 prevent it.

The ship has sailed far, far, away my friends.

Basically either get on the boat or get off as this is the direction of the hobby like it or hate it.

And, as we have seen recently with the Mound City collection, there is a good probability that the unpressed book would be bought by a dealer or collector/dealer to press, resub for an upgrade, and sell for an even higher price.

I think at this point if it is known that a book is not pressed, it's almost a given that it will sell for more than an pressed book.

You have two motivated bidder types:

1) the bidder who wants to own an unpressed book

2) the bidder who wants an increase in grade from the unpressed book.

At this point is it fair to say that if a collector wants to own a book that is unpressed that they will have to be willing to pay a premium to own it?

R.

can't believe i got sucked back into this thread but there's a poll that i've been thinking about for months that is finally being addressed here. two identical books; same grade, same page qualtiy, same wrap, relatively available in grade- one is disclosed as being professionally pressed. what premium would one pay for the unpressed book? i'd pay 20% more for the unpressed book.

That would be correct if all unpressed books would benefit from being pressed. They won't.

I should have said "An unpressed one can be pressed down the road for a possible grade bump..." That possibility has value. That value separates the unpressed from the pressed. Something many buyers and sellers acknowledge and will, I believe, eventually make the idea of disclosure a quaint one (if it isn't already).

And that doesn't even get into the argument of there being no way to tell whether a book has been pressed or not, unless you're the one that bought the book straight off the rack. I mean, people can handily claim that they've never pressed it, but, hey, people lie all the time.

Yup. There is no good reason to disclose and at this point, I'm kinda skeptical that a book is unpressed just because a seller says so.

I find it much easier to just ignore the issue altogether.

I'm with you here...sorta. I just left high-grade slab collecting completely over this. Well...more over trimming (this was during the Ewert scandal of '05) than pressing. But this recent crack-resub phenomenon would have had the same effect. High-grade slab collecting has become a joke, imho. I currently collect OA and I'm not saying that side of the hobby doesn't have its share of issues and skumbags. Just nothing like this accelerating its demise. Just my opinion...

And, as we have seen recently with the Mound City collection, there is a good probability that the unpressed book would be bought by a dealer or collector/dealer to press, resub for an upgrade, and sell for an even higher price.

I think at this point if it is known that a book is not pressed, it's almost a given that it will sell for more than an pressed book.

At this point is it fair to say that if a collector wants to own a book that is unpressed that they will have to be willing to pay a premium to own it?

R.

can't believe i got sucked back into this thread but there's a poll that i've been thinking about for months that is finally being addressed here. two identical books; same grade, same page qualtiy, same wrap, relatively available in grade- one is disclosed as being professionally pressed. what premium would one pay for the unpressed book? i'd pay 20% more for the unpressed book.

I totaly understand that, but you are assuming the other book hasn't ever in it's comic book life been pressed.

I won 5 books on Comiclink last night so how do I know none of them have never been pressed? The answer is I don't. (shrug)

So if I sell any of them how can I honestly say w/o lying to you that any of those 5 books have not been pressed?

OT: R u going to Wondercon? I enjoyed talking to you in SDCC this year. (thumbs u

R.

I totaly understand that, but you are assuming the other book hasn't ever in it's comic book life been pressed.

I won 5 books on Comiclink last night so how do I know none of them have never been pressed? The answer is I don't. (shrug)

So if I sell any of them how can I hoenstly say w/o lying to you that any of those 5 books have not been pressed?

OT: R u going to Wondercon? I enjoyed talking to you in SDCC this year. (thumbs u

Well, if the seller has pressed the book himself then that should be disclosed as it's then 100% certain that the book has been pressed.

If the book comes from the original owner, comes from a seller whom has submitted himself the book to CGC (there is no reason to press a book and re-sell it raw, right ?) or it still has a few specific ncb defects, then I will believe it if the seller tells me it has not been pressed (and I know I can trust him) and will gladly pay a 20% premium as well.

I however agree with you that CGC books purchased through auction sites like Comiclink or others have not such disclosure and I unfortunately have to assume that they have been pressed indeed. I will therefore pay less for those unless I decide that it is reasonable to think that it probably has not been pressed because of the CGC notes on a book (ex: a defect listed as ncb) or other reasons. It's a calculated bet.

But indeed a book purchased on an auction site and then re-offered to the market cannot be advertised either as unpressed or pressed as there is no certainty about it. That's the heart of this thread with NOD now offering pressing service.

R.

So if I sell any of them how can I hoenstly say w/o lying to you that any of those 5 books have not been pressed?

terrible timing this year. i may get there on Easter Sunday to drop off an unpressed box of raw books for Gemma and crew.