• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne vs. George Perez

69 posts in this topic

Man, that's a toughie. Byrne has the height and reach, but Perez has a deadly left hook, and can take a ton of punishment.

Barring a lucky combination from Byrne or a hideout gun in someone's trunks I think I have to give it to Perez

Based on artwork, I love both of their styles. But, Byrne's work in the 80's has a slight edge for me. It had a Kirby-style feel for a different generation. Now, I think Perez's artwork has held up better as he ages. It seems that inkers don't have as much effect on his work as they do on Byrne's. Byrne's recent work has always left me wanting.

I argue that Byrne's failure to grow as an artist gives the edge to Perez; who grew & developed into a better artist, year after year. Perez wins the death match.

I think Perez has always stood out from the pack. With Byrne, as much as I love his work, most of his characters have close to the same face whether it was Fantastic Four, Avengers, or Uncanny X-Men. That is, unless the character had some distinguishing features which Byrne could not force into his standard mold.

Just take a look at Next Men from the 90s and you feel with most of the faces you are looking at characters he did in his Fantastic Four run.

But both are amazing - Perez is just slightly more diverse in his character development, IMHO.

Perez is a consummate perfectionist....and he has never compromised that standard for a greater commercial success. The same , arguably, can't be said about Byrne. Perez will always be the background king...although Byrne may have a better sense of storytelling. I personally would avoid ranking them as I've had countless hours of enjoyment due to the efforets of each. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. To show I'm not Byrne bashing, one of my favorite comic runs of all time was Byrne's re boot of Spidey's first year...although I can't remember the exact title.