• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

250 posts in this topic

Sure, the movie was visually entertaining, but it isn't the greatest movie ever as some people say it is.

Watch "The Hurt Locker" if you want to see a good movie.

Hopefully the Academy Awards voting will be far enough away from the "Avatar" premier that they can objectively look at the best picture race. ("Avatar" can have all of the special effects oscars.)

I really didn't enjoy The Hurt Locker all that much.

Isn't it funny how tastes differ?

WOW .....might be the best movie I've ever seen.

Apparently you've never seen Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, and dozens other movies that are the same story.

That what I've heard that this movie is Dances with Wolves with blue aliens in it...

:P

Sure, the movie was visually entertaining, but it isn't the greatest movie ever as some people say it is.

I'm sure I'll get accused of being a movie snob but I really don't see what the big deal is about this movie? Everyone is going ga-ga about it. Greatest movie ever??? lol

What I am hearing is it's an unoriginal story with jaw dropping fx. Jaw dropping fx holds zero appeal to me.

Just my 2c. your mileage may vary

WOW .....might be the best movie I've ever seen.

Apparently you've never seen Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, and dozens other movies that are the same story.

That what I've heard that this movie is Dances with Wolves with blue aliens in it...

:P

Pretty much. I thought it was good, but there are sooooo many movies that I thought were better, more compelling etc. (Though none were quite as beautiful as Avatar.) Off the top of my head, here are 10 movies that had more effect on me when I saw them in no particular order. (Some in the theater, some not.)

1. Jaws - I was 7 when this movie came out and I saw it roughly about that time. It scared the bejeezus out of me, and at the time, the FX were astonishing.

2. Star Wars - Again, through prism of a young boys eyes, this movie really had a much bigger impact than Avatar. Perhaps, I've become desensitized over the years, but I think Star Wars was bigger and frankly more important in movie history.

3. Spartacus - Great movie that was ahead of it's time. Kirk Douglas was the true definition of character actor. Beautifully done movie.

4. Ben Hur - Unbelievable pic that must have been a nightmare to coordinate. Thousands of extras!!! A chariot scene that actually resulted in a death on-screen but remains in the movie?!?!?

5. Alien - Amazing FX at the time and great storyline.

6. The Exorcist - In the Pantheon of great horror movies. The amount of controversy, debate and revulsion this movie invoked was incredible at the time.

7. E.T. - Better story than Avatar.

8. Jurassic Park - The FX have been far surpassed, but at the time it was cutting edge. I still watch it when it comes on.

9. Gone with the Wind - The one that really started it all. Still holds the crown for all time domestic box office when adjusted for inflation and that record may never be broken.

10. Doctor Zhivago - Great, great flick that stands the test of time.

I'm sure I'll get accused of being a movie snob but I really don't see what the big deal is about this movie? Everyone is going ga-ga about it. Greatest movie ever??? lol

What I am hearing is it's an unoriginal story with jaw dropping fx. Jaw dropping fx holds zero appeal to me.

'Fro, have you seen the movie?

Hopefully the Academy Awards voting will be far enough away from the "Avatar" premier that they can objectively look at the best picture race. ("Avatar" can have all of the special effects oscars.)

Agreed, I can not figure out why everyone made such a big deal about Hurt Locker. I actually could not even finish the movie I was so bored with it.

It's funny, because people are giving accolades to Hurt Locker and Inglorious Bastards all over the place, and while I enjoyed both, I really don't consider either groundbreaking in innovation nor story. About the only oscar worthy merit to IB was the supporting actor, but the story wasn't all that epic, IMO.

Each film has it's merits, and Avatar certainly has worthy ones that make it great

and worthy of watching.

I really had no interest in seeing this movie, but my 13-yo daughter and her friends wanted to see it, so yesterday I took them and actually enjoyed it. It's not one of the top 10 films of all time or anything like that, but the setting is so different from Pocahontas (for example) that unless you think all romantic comedies are the same, all horror flicks are the same, all action movies are the same, etc.,. then I wouldn't let that stop you from seeing it.

The FX are incredible, and there's so much detail that, to me, it's one that needs to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated. Some of the scenes/scenery are almost too busy, and I imagine a lot of this detail will get lost on the small screen.

Just got the Hurt Locker DVD from netflix, the reviews above certainly don't match the accolades it's getting from the press/awards! Oh well, I'll give it a shot but now I'm worried my wife is going to hate it, and she still hasn't forgiven me for making her go to see the 1st FF flick! lol

by biggest test for a movie is did it hold my interest all the way through? or was I thinking about dinner, or worrk, or the laundry more than once?

AVATAR more than passed the test for me. The graphics were amazing and enjoyable to watch and while most of us can predict the plotline here, so what? Who didnt know how ITANIC was going to end? And this was never designed to be a keyser Soze type mystery ,, was it?

My thoughts exactly. (thumbs u The Godfather was predictable. Star Wars was predictable. But that didn't make them any less great movies.

yeah, it's kind of weird but I must one of the few people here on earth that hasn't seen this movie...

from what I have heard, the FX is awesome but the story is lacking...

If that's the case, I can wait until video...

hm

I'm a little backwards of that thinking. To me, if it's got a great story but little to no effects, I wait for video. It's cheaper and I get the same benefit at home as I would in the theater. If it is getting all it's accolades for the FX and you've heard the story is lacking, downsizing the FX by bringing it home (instead of IMAX in 3-D) seems like you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Not "the greatest movie of all time" as some have called it, but still immensely enjoyable from a visual standpoint and I'm very glad I saw it in 3-D at the theater.

I think anybody that waits to see Avatar on Video is going to miss what really makes the movie great. It's the larger than life 3D experience that is causing people to go back and see it over and over in the theaters.

I think watching it at home will make Avatar look like a dud after reading all the hype.

I'm definitely a convert as I had no interest in seeing it initially but now that I've seen it I might just go back and see it again before it runs it's course in the theaters.

Interesting note: we went to see The Book Of Eli yesterday, and even though it was relatively new and a fun movie to watch, the theater was empty. Avatar is still packing them in 6 weeks later. That is impressive.

Plamer beat me to the punch!

I'd definitely make the effort to see this in the theater and watch something else on video.

'Fro, have you seen the movie?

No, but that's my point. I have zero interest in an fx movie. Why should I bother?

yeah, it's kind of weird but I must one of the few people here on earth that hasn't seen this movie...

from what I have heard, the FX is awesome but the story is lacking...

If that's the case, I can wait until video...

hm

i was underwhelmed but waiting until video is a mistake IMHO. i don't care how good ones HTS is, the 3D has to be experienced on a movie screen. i see i'm about the third in line w/ this type of thinking

I think anybody that waits to see Avatar on Video is going to miss what really makes the movie great. It's the larger than life 3D experience that is causing people to go back and see it over and over in the theaters.

I think watching it at home will make Avatar look like a dud after reading all the hype.

I'm definitely a convert as I had no interest in seeing it initially but now that I've seen it I might just go back and see it again before it runs it's course in the theaters.

Interesting note: we went to see The Book Of Eli yesterday, and even though it was relatively new and a fun movie to watch, the theater was empty. Avatar is still packing them in 6 weeks later. That is impressive.

I have seen it 3 times in 3-d thus far, and plan on going back probably twice more.

First time I have ever been compelled to re -watch a movie at the theater this many times.