• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Had Worse QP: Blind Gorilla Printers or Charlton?

24 posts in this topic

Oh man, I bought a few more Byrne Charltons, looked through my collection to see what else I had, and then opened them up for a quick grading.

Holy Cap! I knew the QP was bad on these issues, but some are absolutely horrific. I'm talking otherwise-pristine copies with married pages, folded-in extensions, mis-cut/off-cut covers, non-standard sizes, off-size pages, that weird "small circle cut/edge of the roll" pages, etc.

Reading BA Charltons is like going to a freakshow.

Bronze Charltons are like GA Fox books with regard to production quality. Supposedly both publishers routinely took low bid on paper and/or used less-than-new printing equipment. I believe I read (somewhere) that Charlton had some organized-crime connections as well, but I don't recall where I read that.

Compare the Charlton E-Man books to the First Comics E-Man books to see the difference.

Sorta on topic, How are the Six Million Dollar Mans and Space 1999`s to read? I always wanted to read them plus I heard Byrne and Adams did some minor work in them?

Yep, they both did some stuff at Charlton. Some of the Charlton horror stuff has some beautiful artwork that is often overlooked also.

Charlton's printing was atrocious in part because, other than the lousy paper stock, they used an old press that was originally used to print cereal boxes.

It was always a trip to go to shows and see Carbanaro with those foot high stacks of all those Charltons. It was difficult going through the whole stack to see if you could find a perfect copy like you are speaking of. You never could. You are right, the printing was terrible. My favorite title was Konga (I think he had issue #5).