• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It happened to comics...

29 posts in this topic

Nothing more needs to be said than the last paragraph.

Like so many things, demographics will be the driver of the Hummel market of the future: everyday, Hummel enthusiasts pass away and their treasures get dumped onto an already saturated market. Without any new collectors to replace them, Hummels are likely to continue their descent into poverty.

I've been saying this for years about a variety of subjects on this board.

Superman and Batman will always have buyers

Blue Bolt?? Wonderman? ..............................NOT!!!

this is in all hobbies. My main focus today is movie posters.

Classic golden age cinema is losing ground. Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz.. they will always be popular.

Tillie's Punctured Romance?? Scattergood Goes to Holywood?? ...... NOT!!!

the people who remember that stuff are dead or dying.

can we say.... Pulps!!!

(thumbs u

Mutt and Jeff origianl strip art, from 1927, love it, buy it? @ 450.00 pop, :acclaim:

Pass, :whatev:

next,

Centaurs? Who the heck knows or cares what a Centaur is....I'm probable throwing my money away in terms of any increaseing value, should be buying Supe and Bat, and blah blah blah, but I collect what I truly like, and I guess in the end is'nt that what its all about?

Centaurs? Who the heck knows or cares what a Centaur is....I'm probable throwing my money away in terms of any increasing value, should be buying Supe and Bat, and blah blah blah, but I collect what I truly like, and I guess in the end isn't that what its all about?

I have about 100 Books of Magic and Lucifer pages.

I have about 150 Alex Toth pages.

Is anyone going to be sending me life-changing money offers on any of this stuff? More than likely not. Do I get as much enjoyment out of it as I do from my Frazettas, Bollands, Fosters, Raymonds, McCay or Herriman? Not quite as much but a good amount. By that measure alone I have no regrets in accumulating and continuing to accumulate that stuff. I like being an ACTIVE collector. I like getting small pieces I enjoy and not having to save up for months on end to make a purchase. My collection would be increasing in value a lot faster if I did only focus on the big, highly coveted stuff but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun.

Centaurs? Who the heck knows or cares what a Centaur is....I'm probable throwing my money away in terms of any increasing value, should be buying Supe and Bat, and blah blah blah, but I collect what I truly like, and I guess in the end isn't that what its all about?

You have 100 LUCIFER pages?

Let's talk :devil:

I remember vividly watching a segment on 60 MINUTES where they interviewed a guy with one of the largest and rarest HUMMEL collections. I wonder where it got off to?

You have 100 LUCIFER pages?

Nope, sorry. I have 100 BoM AND Lucifer pages. I grouped them together because they were both (mostly) done by Peter Gross and they were both based on Neil Gaiman's characters. There's cross-over there for me so I lumped them together.

I have about 150 Alex Toth pages.

Is anyone going to be sending me life-changing money offers on any of this stuff? More than likely not. Do I get as much enjoyment out of it as I do from my Frazettas, Bollands, Fosters, Raymonds, McCay or Herriman? Not quite as much but a good amount. By that measure alone I have no regrets in accumulating and continuing to accumulate that stuff. I like being an ACTIVE collector. I like getting small pieces I enjoy and not having to save up for months on end to make a purchase. My collection would be increasing in value a lot faster if I did only focus on the big, highly coveted stuff but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun.

(thumbs u

Scott, agreed 100%, I often pay well above market value for otherwise inexpensive items, say I pay 2K for a finished small drawing that most folks think is worth 1K, but I know it is special and rare.

It's much harder to pay 50% above market for a five figure piece as you pointed out.

I collects lots of less than top shelf pieces, but I only collect top shelf artists, so I'm always looking at pieces at all price levels. I still get excited by a great sketch by a great artist. I started out in the hobby 35 years ago buying sketches, and I trust I'll go out doing the same thing.

(I always laugh when I see a piece from a dealer marked say 7K. I offer 5K, dealer says no, that's a 7K piece... 18 months later I come back and offer 5K, dealer says 'no, that's a 7K piece'. After 1-2 years with no takers, NO, it's not.)

I just think if we collectively notch down a bit in 2010, keeps our heads, pay fair prices but not stupid prices, dealers will adjust their prices down to move some inventory, and we can all benefit.

Dealers need to stop trying to hit a home run on every sale.

Hummels Article

While original art is not made for the collectibles market per se, I think some of the new stuff is. More importantly though, it's the modern art market where the "value" is often built in up front, and selling in high dollar jolts. That made me think this article might be of interest.

If nothing else, it's a case of what happens when something falls out of favor? Could the golden age art end up in this cycle, where unless it's the blue chip household-name character stuff, the interest in old strips and stories just doesn't connect with future generations?

-e.

Didn't Joel Silver buy the rights to make a Hummels movie?