• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE WEIRD WORLD OF EERIE PUBLICATIONS

39 posts in this topic

DUDE!

I got this bad boy in the mail today and while I haven't had time to actually read it yet, I can tell you went to amazing lengths to tie together all of those loose threads that the rest of us could only manage guessing about. It really looks like it puts the crazy puzzle that was Eerie Publications together for all to see. Plus it looks sensational. It's going right beside "The Warren Companion" and the Skywald book on my shelf.

Between this and "The Horror, the Horror" I think I am about to have a ratty retro horror comics binge.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I did not expect this to be a hardcover for some reason, I guess I didn't read the Amazon listing, I just bought it!

Awesome Book, I am loving how you unfold the story of these guys. Also glad to see my favorite covers that I have since parted with made most of the full size pics. Steve Bissette's piece is a hoot too, glad you aren't afraid to include a fairly raunchy forward!

With this , four color Fear and The Horror! The Horror! This has been a stellar year for gorgeous books about horror comics.

Bravo to you, it's a knock out!

Thank you much, Shiv!

Steve Bissette said he was happy to write an intro in which he COULD use some salty language. Between the subject matter and the publisher (Feral House ain't shy about anything) he felt free to have some fun!

I got my copy last week and was "almost" very pleased. I was very happy to see what it contained but was very perplexed and saddened when I didn't find a "Complete Publication Listing" of all the titles and their Issue/Volume Numbers. There was a section with a bunch of out of order cover shots that with a little effort could have been expanded to fill that gap. BTW - That was pleasurable to view besides the fact!

Does anyone know where I can find an authoritative listing of all the titles/issues? I think I have them all but for a few. With all the work and time the author spent on this project I would have had the confidence to accept his statements. These are missing from my collection...I think. Please, if anyone can verify or post a cover picture I would be very happy. I know there are a few lists out there on the internet but who knows if they are correct?

Eerie - Horror Tales Aug-74 (v6 #4)

Eerie - Weird Dec 74 (v8n #7), Mar-80 (v13 #2), Jun-80 (v13 #3), Jul-81 (v14 #2)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

Taylor- we just couldn't fit the issue by issue index. At 340 pages, some things had to go. I'm sad that this was one of them. I'll be doing a Lulu book with that as soon as I get the time. Hopefully in a few weeks.

The cover gallery is chronological with the original art covers. The pages of the "cobble covers" follow the original art ones . Actually, not random at all.

RE your queries:

Horror Tales Aug-74 (v6 #4), Mar-80 (v13 #2), Jun-80 (v13 #3), Jul-81 (v14 #2) all exist. The other does not.

Mike, it was great talking to you and your wife about the experiences of putting the book together! I am THOROUGHLY enjoying the book and highly recommend it!

I got a copy of the book for Christmas, I finished reading it last night. It was terrific; loads of info about Myron Fass and his magazine empire. I'm gonna need to buy some of those Eerie pubs. I remember reading them as a kid. My father was(is) a tolerant person, but these were among the books he would toss out if he caught me with one. Sleaziness at its finest. :cloud9:

Mike, a great followup to this book would be one about Stanley Morse and his comic book and pulp magazine empire. Morse's pre-code books are among the most outrageous, and his later magazine publishing was interesting, to say the least. Congratulations on the Eerie pubs book, it is an excellent work.

This may be a little off topic but has anyone heard about this book or have any idea why it may be this expensive? It's a trade paperback from 2007 reprinting a few stories from Eerie publication mags. The cheapest copy on amazon is $1976.00 and the most expensive is $3658.00.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1419667483/ref=s9_simh_co_p14_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0F2F05MQ9NX9GYHRGDRA&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01

1954694.jpg

That's very weird. It must have recently gone out of print. It was about $12.99 the last time I linked to it for someone. But still... that's ridiculous!

It's a fine collection of about 22 stories, some odd choices, but that's great by me. I mention it in Chapter 14 of TWWoEP.