• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone want to teach me how to grade?

46 posts in this topic

I have tried to use the PGM forum to figure out how to grade. I have read the overstreet book on how to grade but I would feel more comfortable if someone provided a hands on experience.

I am not a seller but I do read and then sell to finance my next purchase. I would like to get to a point that I feel confident with the grade I assign. Anyway I figure this is worth a shot as someone who is CT mentioned holding classes. I live in Westchester County and am willing to travel.

Thanks any offers are appreciated.

I have tried to use the PGM forum to figure out how to grade. I have read the overstreet book on how to grade but I would feel more comfortable if someone provided a hands on experience.

I am not a seller but I do read and then sell to finance my next purchase. I would like to get to a point that I feel confident with the grade I assign. Anyway I figure this is worth a shot as someone who is CT mentioned holding classes. I live in Westchester County and am willing to travel.

Once your done teaching this guy to grade could anyone teach me how to press :baiting:

Once your done teaching this guy to grade could anyone teach me how to press :baiting:

:devil:

Reverse-engineer CGC's grades. Lacking hands-on classes, this is the best way I've ever discovered as a grading excercise. Essentially, you're learning from half a dozen or so guys who do it all day, every day.

[

Reverse-engineer CGC's grades. Lacking hands-on classes, this is the best way I've ever discovered as a grading excercise. Essentially, you're learning from half a dozen or so guys who do it all day, every day.

yup, I agree. That is how I do it but the slabs I owned are mostly 8.5 to 9.8 so anything lower than that I start to run into trouble because I don't have much reference up close to go with.

It may sound stupid, but pick a low priced book and try to buy up multiple CGC copies in descending grades if you can't find classes. At least then you have something to make a direct comparison to.

Joking aside, 1CoolEngineer has a point.

I too would love to see a guide somewhere on these pages helping us (Relative) noobs to enhance our grading skills. Overstreet's guide is good, however, the small pictures and actual low levels of content (Compared to ads) can raise more questions than answers.

It would be good to see some Hi res scans here pointing out (In detail) the reasons for grades given and perhaps a step by step methodology.

As for the obvious E-Bay point, wouldn't a wider awareness of grading push for picker buyers and subsequently more returned overgraded "NM's"?

Just my tupence worth

I too would love to see a guide somewhere on these pages helping us (Relative) noobs to enhance our grading skills. Overstreet's guide is good, however, the small pictures and actual low levels of content (Compared to ads) can raise more questions than answers.

It would be good to see some Hi res scans here pointing out (In detail) the reasons for grades given and perhaps a step by step methodology.

As for the obvious E-Bay point, wouldn't a wider awareness of grading push for picker buyers and subsequently more returned overgraded "NM's"?

Just my tupence worth

You'll never change eBay, and it is a shame for the honest graders out there. Having said that, once a buyer has a good experience with a solid grader (take schmidty for example), you'll find they'll return again and again.

Seeing as you're only in Derby, if you ever fancy meeting up and talking grading just give me a shout.

These 4 pages from the Overstreet Grading Guide are the best info you will ever get on how to grade.

I post them all the time but most people seem to either gloss over them or forget about them. They've helped me the most.

GradingScale1.jpg

GradingScale2.jpg

Just my tupence worth

I think the overstreet guide stinks hence my request. The book itself isn't even the size of a comic and the pictures are too tiny with very little BC pics. I think it could be laid out better in a checklist type format as well. Some things are vague like staple discoloration is allowed and in the example it has minor rust on the staple. I think it is a Fine + or VF and I was under the impress that rust is only on VG. I guess these are Q's I can ask via the forum but then there are problem things that don't show up via scan. You can describe them but it is better to view in hand. On top of that I cannot calibrate my scanner to show flaws better. I have tinkered with it and for some comics it works and others it does not.

Anyway, I forgot that I did not state my location. I live in the NY area.

These 4 pages from the Overstreet Grading Guide are the best info you will ever get on how to grade.

I post them all the time but most people seem to either gloss over them or forget about them. They've helped me the most.

Thanks for the pictures. I am going to re-read the book again tonight and look at a few examples of raw comics I purchased that were "graded". I don't buy CGC so that teaching method will not work for me.

Thanks for the pictures. I am going to re-read the book again tonight and look at a few examples of raw comics I purchased that were "graded". I don't buy CGC so that teaching method will not work for me.

You also need to to take into account the cost implication of multiple copies of the same issue in varying grades (Plus any subsequent effects of handling whan comparing the issues).

From what I've seen in the PGM forum, experience seems to win out everytime over textbook reading. You can tell by my own guestimates as to how much I've learned from Overstreet

OT

Boozad - Thanks for the offer - are you local?

I didn't know that you are a fellow New Yorker... :)

Would this help at all?

http://www.e-bigs.net/freetool.php

GradingScale1.jpg

GradingScale2.jpg

This post is so important, I wanted to ensure it's in this thread twice.

I'll admit that counting ever defect kinda sucks. I think I have a near flawless comic, and then when I inspect it, I find another miniscule defect. And another. Suddenly it's just another average 9.2. Or worse, a 9.0 :o