• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney/Activision Drop DLC for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2

31 posts in this topic

I wonder if you can buy these now and then go trade them in for profit or is it to late? I do have Amazon prime.

I doubt it, as I was at GameStop the other day and the guy was joking about how many copies he was getting in used, and how this was going to drop in trade value soon. Another customer told him about the deleted DLC and Activision no longer supporting either MUA or MUA2 and the clerk looked it up online...

If you want the best bet of them, order a lot of PS3 copies NOW using Prime, and stay far, far, far away from the Wii (it already has no trade-in value at GS/EB) and Xbox 360 (too many out there) versions. The PS3 versions of action RPGs like this *always* hold their trade value over the 360 counterparts.

Up here, MUA1 Xbox 360 is at $4.99 used at Gamestop/EB and if you're *really, really, really* lucky you can find a copy of the Gold or Platinum (with DLC) for the same price. No such luck with MUA2, as the game just came out 6 months ago and there was no special editions.

Did some digging around and found

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/3243/Marvel_Ultimate_Alliance_2_Content_Pulled_from_Xbox_Live__PlayStation_Network.html

Joystiq has confirmed with Activision that it was a limited time offer on the PlayStation 3, but it's odd Xbox Live wasn't mentioned in their confirmation too. We've have been trying to figure out why this may have happened. We know that a lot of game publishers are sore about Playstation Network Bandwidth fees, which may be one reason why Activision pulled it if sales were poor on PSN. But why would they pull it from Xbox Live as well which doesn't have a fee structure like PSN? Not only did Activision pull all the characters, but all references to the game including gamer pics, demo, and more. The entry is simply gone.

Another reason we thought might be an issue is that of licensing. We looked at the rights for Marvel characters, but it looks like Activision extended their licensing rights for Marvel characters until 2017. So unless there's some other legal issue that came up and wasn't disclosed yet, we're baffled.

BTW what Amazon Prime?

There was no "limited time" offer, that's just BS that their press agents dreamed up. Check out the PS3 and Xbox 360 game boxes - "Downloadable Content" is right there is BIG LETTERS with no disclaimers.

What really happened is that after Disney bought Marvel, they put their lawyers into high gear, looking for ways to maximize profits on their licenses and potentially get out of ones that were dogs, Giving the entire Marvel Universe to one company was a no-brainer dog, so loopholes were found and Activision (who did extend their license to 2017) was booted to the curb.

Think about it, you just buy a company and find out that ALL their major characters are tied up by Activision... and until 2017! - Disney must have put about 100 lawyers working overtime on getting out of that contract.

Activision responded by immediately orphaning all their MUA games, removing present and future patch support, deleting DLC (MUA2 is not even listed on Live or PSN anymore) and essentially washing their hands of the entire affair, which will *definitely* hurt Disney when they shop around (or internally develop) MUA3. You screw gamers around and you quickly find out that we have a LONG memory.

It's a sad and sordid affair and I know I won't be buying anymore of their Marvel-based :censored: just on principle.

Did some digging around and found

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/3243/Marvel_Ultimate_Alliance_2_Content_Pulled_from_Xbox_Live__PlayStation_Network.html

BTW what Amazon Prime? [/quote]

Is where you pay a flat fee once during the year, then for rest of the year you can have products shipped to yourself or friends for free 2 day shipping or $3.99 overnight shipping. example the other day I ordered a large hdtv and had it within 2 days(shipped free). Where else can you do that? so if I need something thats a hot selling product, I can order it today and it will be here sometime tommorrow.

That's a pretty good deal - call GS/EB and confirm the trade-in value, order 10 copies of MUA2 PS3/XB for overnight, then hit up all the Gamestops/EBs in town and get a ton of new games for less-than half price.

Up here we have a thing called "Power Trade" where you get 50% extra credit on *select* new titles, so for those, MUA2 would get you $60 credit. lol

I doubt Disney bought a company and then discovered all its characters were tied up. I'm sure that was factored into the sale price in the first place.

Whats next? Will you suggest Disney didn't know Marvels movierights were already outsourced?

That's a pretty good deal - call GS/EB and confirm the trade-in value, order 10 copies of MUA2 PS3/XB for overnight, then hit up all the Gamestops/EBs in town and get a ton of new games for less-than half price.

Up here we have a thing called "Power Trade" where you get 50% extra credit on *select* new titles, so for those, MUA2 would get you $60 credit. lol

The only thing is it could backfire, order the 10, go there tommorrow and have the Gamestop employee tell me"your the 100 person who has returned these today, they now are only going for $5 in trade value!" :sick:

I doubt Disney bought a company and then discovered all its characters were tied up. I'm sure that was factored into the sale price in the first place.

Where did I state Disney didn't know? Look it over again, I stated they were, as any company would, looking to get the most value out of existing contracts and potentially break those that were not bringing value.

And this is not fiction, it really happened. :insane:

Think about it, you just buy a company and find out that ALL their major characters are tied up by Activision... and until 2017! - Disney must have put about 100 lawyers working overtime on getting out of that contract.

Perhaps I'm misreading this. What I am guessing is that the contract with Activision had an out in it, in the event of a sale.

Perhaps I'm misreading this. What I am guessing is that the contract with Activision had an out in it, in the event of a sale.

Yeah, I guess I was trying to hype that part up and went a bit too far with the "gosh, golly" part.

Only generalities are known right now, but the "word on the street" about the specifics is that Marvel had a renegotiation clause in the event of a sale, and Disney wanted a LOT of money. Activision said no, and here we are.