• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Announcing: Signature Services, SSD for all your Signature Series needs!

270 posts in this topic

wouldnt it be easier for CAW to be standing by the artists and just taking books right as they are signed for cgc submission. Somehow having all the signing and artists near cgc or assigned a cgc guy for each table or something. Just thinking out loud....

wouldnt it be easier for CAW to be standing by the artists and just taking books right as they are signed for cgc submission. Somehow having all the signing and artists near cgc or assigned a cgc guy for each table or something. Just thinking out loud....

That would be great,

Except most shows have over 100 creators and I would be shocked if there were more than 10 CGC employees at any given show.

There aren't anywhere near enough witnesses and CGC employees to institute such a plan, especially after the witness restructuring this year.

Best,

Chris

That would be great,

Except most shows have over 100 creators and I would be shocked if there were more than 10 CGC employees at any given show.

There aren't anywhere near enough witnesses and CGC employees to institute such a plan, especially after the witness restructuring this year.

Best,

Chris

It just seems like if there was a cgc pile at artist booths and signings for the cgc guys to pick up at the end or something to help with the not having to drag caw everywhere.

It just seems like if there was a cgc pile at artist booths and signings for the cgc guys to pick up at the end or something to help with the not having to drag caw everywhere.

Ideally, this is the correct solution. However, you are asking artists to hold onto sketched books all day and if you see how crowded some artist alley tables can get, I'm not entirely sure every artist would agree to this. In addition, we as facilitators can't control where a convention places different creators to make it smoother for us.

In my opinion, though, this is where we are headed. The more conventions we go to and the more artists and writers we can work out deals with, the smoother it will be for all of us.

We are bound currently by the 200 books to have CGC supply a CAW.

Wouldn't this only be necessary for events where CGC is not present and accepting submissions?

200 books to submit should get you a dedicated CAW for the convention whether CGC is set up or not, or a dedicated CAW for a convention where CGC is not present.

If you have a lesser number of subs there is a very good chance you don't get a dedicated CAW. If the convention is large enough or busy enough, having a dedicated CAW there at the exact time when you need him will be the difference between getting books signed and not getting books signed.

Without a dedicated CAW, you will be bound by the demands on the time of the CGC employees and if they have the time to help you at that moment or if they are tied up helping someone else. So for a popular creator, you will be standing in line for 15-20 minutes, and calling in to get a witness but there is no guarantee they will be available at the time you reach the front of the line.

The 200 books is supposed to help ensure a witness when you need one.

That's how I understand the process to work.

Best,

Chris

I see. The way I understand it then is if a certain individual has 200+ books to be signed, then you have your own personal CAW that is assigned only to you and whatever you happen to doing for whatever time period - a particular day or the length of the show. This person is independent of the CGC employees and the CGC provided CAWs for that particular show.

I can see signatures being more of a pain in the than a sketch as the moment is right then - an instant need. A sketch cover can lay there until someone is available to go with you to pick it up. The two events are really apples and oranges.

These new rules certainly make the smaller shows where CGC will be present, like MegaCon and Detroit, definitely worth attending - provided the creator you are after is in attendance.

Joey, I will try and answer these the best I can right now. I have plenty of time, but when I posted originally it was to your unedited post which seemed to be statements not questions:

1- Facilitator will be getting their books done first. This has to be considered a given. I know when I walk into a show I have a list of who I see first. If they don't get to your books they have the option of trying to get them done at the next show. This means they keep your books until then. In the meantime they could accumulate additional books to be signed and the process starts all over again. If the facilitator is accepting submissions from the public (and charging to do so) what is being put in place that they will do their best to fufill those submissions?

This depends on the individual accepting subs. As stated yesterday, we are a collective group of individuals accepting submissions in some cases. Each facilitator should work that out with the person subbing ahead of time.

Personally for me, and I can only speak to me. If books were not signed, they should be the top priority at the next signing as long as both the facilitator and the submitter agree to it.

2- Are facilitators trying to arrange more private or semi-private signings at shows?

If we can we definitely will try! Many times private or semi-private signings are limited in nature for the amount of books and not often something offered to the general public, but never say never!

3- How many books a facilitator agrees to have done. I learned this the hard way last weekend. While I only had to visit the booths of 4 artists I did have roughly 200 books signed. I was fortunate enought to have them done in a day. Mega-Con is relatively easy when it comes to accessing the artists. What happens at a much larger show with few facilitators or CGC employees when one person agrees to get 400 books signed and realises at the show he or she may get cut-off at 250? How do those books carry over to the next show?

We are bound currently by the 200 books to have CGC supply a CAW. Part of the reason we are not jumping all over accepting subs for shows is not that we do not want to accept subs from people, but that we have already seen what it can be like for getting a CAW (and lord knows CGC is trying their hardest at all times) when you need them.

Again, this is just me speaking, but I do not see a scenario where any of us would accept over 200 books, especially if they were for multiple creators. If they were for a few (like you mentioned), it becomes much easier.

And as stated earlier, I would feel that those books not signed would be carried over to the next show, unless the submitter wanted them back.

Hope that clears everything up, at least a little bit!

Thank you Jon. That helped ally some concerns. Concerning having more private signings what do most who were former witnesses feel is the greatest road block to artists agreeing on these? Especially if hundreds of books are involved.

Joey, I will try and answer these the best I can right now. I have plenty of time, but when I posted originally it was to your unedited post which seemed to be statements not questions:

1- Facilitator will be getting their books done first. This has to be considered a given. I know when I walk into a show I have a list of who I see first. If they don't get to your books they have the option of trying to get them done at the next show. This means they keep your books until then. In the meantime they could accumulate additional books to be signed and the process starts all over again. If the facilitator is accepting submissions from the public (and charging to do so) what is being put in place that they will do their best to fufill those submissions?

This depends on the individual accepting subs. As stated yesterday, we are a collective group of individuals accepting submissions in some cases. Each facilitator should work that out with the person subbing ahead of time.

Personally for me, and I can only speak to me. If books were not signed, they should be the top priority at the next signing as long as both the facilitator and the submitter agree to it.

2- Are facilitators trying to arrange more private or semi-private signings at shows?

If we can we definitely will try! Many times private or semi-private signings are limited in nature for the amount of books and not often something offered to the general public, but never say never!

3- How many books a facilitator agrees to have done. I learned this the hard way last weekend. While I only had to visit the booths of 4 artists I did have roughly 200 books signed. I was fortunate enought to have them done in a day. Mega-Con is relatively easy when it comes to accessing the artists. What happens at a much larger show with few facilitators or CGC employees when one person agrees to get 400 books signed and realises at the show he or she may get cut-off at 250? How do those books carry over to the next show?

We are bound currently by the 200 books to have CGC supply a CAW. Part of the reason we are not jumping all over accepting subs for shows is not that we do not want to accept subs from people, but that we have already seen what it can be like for getting a CAW (and lord knows CGC is trying their hardest at all times) when you need them.

Again, this is just me speaking, but I do not see a scenario where any of us would accept over 200 books, especially if they were for multiple creators. If they were for a few (like you mentioned), it becomes much easier.

And as stated earlier, I would feel that those books not signed would be carried over to the next show, unless the submitter wanted them back.

Thank you Jon. That helped ally some concerns. Concerning having more private signings what do most who were former witnesses feel is the greatest road block to artists agreeing on these? Especially if hundreds of books are involved.

Usually it is a creator who is not on the convention circuit, so contacting them may be difficult. If you can make contact, offer them something for their time etc, it can work. But many times they prefer not to do something. A lot of extra work for many creators!

I would say the biggest road block is time and payment. Pretty simple, for a lot of these guys they have lives and the money would have to be pretty good in order to break away from what they normally do (which is not attend cons!)

Usually it is a creator who is not on the convention circuit, so contacting them may be difficult. If you can make contact, offer them something for their time etc, it can work. But many times they prefer not to do something. A lot of extra work for many creators!

I would say the biggest road block is time and payment. Pretty simple, for a lot of these guys they have lives and the money would have to be pretty good in order to break away from what they normally do (which is not attend cons!)

Thats what I figured. hm

Thanks Jon.