• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally bought Shelly's-"Frankenstein" today.

56 posts in this topic

"A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe. You want detail; Wolfe, the ultimate realist, gives you detail and a great story to boot!

You said it! "Look Homeward, Angel" was one of the most detailed books I've ever read. That was a toughy for me. Had to read it my 2nd semester of college ("Survey of Southern Lit" or something like that). Brutal! Just brutal!

Then we read "Wise Blood" (O'Connor) and "Deliverence" (Dickey), so they kind of took aways the pain of reading Wolfe.

Chris

"A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe. You want detail; Wolfe, the ultimate realist, gives you detail and a great story to boot!

You said it! "Look Homeward, Angel" was one of the most detailed books I've ever read. That was a toughy for me. Had to read it my 2nd semester of college ("Survey of Southern Lit" or something like that). Brutal! Just brutal!

Then we read "Wise Blood" (O'Connor) and "Deliverence" (Dickey), so they kind of took aways the pain of reading Wolfe.

Chris

27_laughing.gif Wrong Wolfe, Chris. That's Thomas Wolfe.

Tom Wolfe wrote 'Bonfire of the Vanities, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, etc.'

You've probably seen him on TV; he dresses in white suits all the time.

thumbsup2.gif

Tried reading Ulysses in college, stopped, went out and got drunk.

27_laughing.gif ...You too huh...I had such high expectations when starting this...alas, the format totally through me for a loop...drinking seemed the better alternative... crazy.gif

Chris

27_laughing.gif Wrong Wolfe, Chris. That's Thomas Wolfe.

Tom Wolfe wrote 'Bonfire of the Vanities, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, etc.'

You've probably seen him on TV; he dresses in white suits all the time.

thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif I saw Tom Wolfe and "detailed", and LHA jumped into my head blush.gif. I am familiar w/ the "Bonfire of the Vanities" and "Elec. Kool-Aid..." (which, surprisingly, I haven't read. You'd think it would've been included on the list when I read the "beat books" and Hunter Thompson novels).

Chris

Mrs. Donut, who is pretty smart, has tried to read Gravity's Rainbow about 10 times. Its in our house, and we never get past about 200 pages. A Man In Full is tremendous, as is Kavalier and Clay. Go read Summerland if you want to read a great book.

Mrs. Donut, who is pretty smart, has tried to read Gravity's Rainbow about 10 times. Its in our house, and we never get past about 200 pages. A Man In Full is tremendous, as is Kavalier and Clay. Go read Summerland if you want to read a great book.

That's the barrier! 200 pages. Once you get past that it becomes recognizable as a story. Not that it's totally smooth sailing or anything. It's still INSANE, of course. Just insane in a different, more fun, way.

I first heard Pynchon's name mentioned in the classic sci-fi triology "The Illuminatus Trilogy" by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. Another great read if you're into conspiracy theories...

I've read that....THAT is fun! Dense, but fun!

Rob, actually I have a college degree, BA in Communication with a minor in Journalism. I'm currently working on my first novel at the moment, and hope to shop it in '05.

I didn't ask, what's the novel about?

I met Tom Wolfe a year or so ago when his granddaughter graduated from Duke. He was a special guest speaker at her graduation. I do jobs for a local catering company on the side, and we worked the dinner for him the night before. I met him and got his autograph on the back of the place card for him on the table.

I went through a phase a few years ago where I felt like I'd missed out on "something" (although I had no idea what) because I'd never been assigned a lot of the classics in school or read them on my own. So I got a lot of them and read them. It was great.

Some of the ones I remember: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, The Red Badge of Courage (there were several more, but that's all I can remember right now). I also found a copy of the original broadcast of "War of the Worlds" on CD. Pretty interesting.

I first heard Pynchon's name mentioned in the classic sci-fi triology "The Illuminatus Trilogy" by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. Another great read if you're into conspiracy theories...

I've read that....THAT is fun! Dense, but fun!

Robert Anton Wilson is something else. I first read it in high school when I was into the conspiracy thing. It takes some getting used to because the book jumps around so much, but it is a wonderfully funny read!

Also, the Historical Illuminatus Chronicles are great as well, although I never got to read the third part of the trilogy, Nature's God.

Don't want to let the cat out if the bag, but let's just say King, Koontz and Marvel BA Horror are some serious influences. It's in the Horror/Suspense genre, if all goes well-then everyone will know next year. Going to have some pre-lims with an agent this week-end in Wilmington NC, who handles pro atheletes, actors, and authors, and he is also a golf buddy of my fathers and myself. gossip.gif

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's novel is a masterpiece! thumbsup2.gif

I seem to recall a story that her personal copy has wonderful pressed leaves inside the pages and sold for crazy money years ago.