• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurleycon March 6 Joplin MO

6 posts in this topic

Hurleycon will be held March 6 Hurleycon at the JLW Convention Center, 5400 S. Rangeline Rd. (Just South of I-44 on Rangeline - Exit 8)in Joplin MO Opening hours are 10 am to 5 pm FREE Admission! For info contact hurleysheroes@gmail.com

Okay, I totally misread this as Harleycon...

Has Harley Yee ever done one of your shows?

I do not beleive I recognize that name.

Hurleycon is not one I run. It is run by a pair of brothers named Hurley. This is the third time they are doing it. They opened a comic book store in Jpolin just after the first Hurleycon.

I posted it since I along with l other dealers who will be at my con in KC the next day will be there. This is in the SW corner of the state guessing about 90 minute drive from Tulsa and about a 45 minute drive from Bensonville, Fayetteville AR metro area (home of Wally world)

Harley has about six full page ads in Overstreet and does about 40 shows a year, including Australia and the UK. He's kind of famous among the board members for traveling further and more often than just about anyone.

Marc

I have not bought an Overstreet Guide for myself in over 20 years only use it to gain info on old comics and since they are not making any moe of those no need to get a newer one. I may or may not have seen an advert from harly, if I did it did not make a big impression on me.

I did go to Hurleycon and since it is not one I ran feel I can give an unbiased opinion.

The event was held in a convention center on the far south side of town, easy to get to off of I-44, making it nice for people coming in from out of town to get to without getting lost in town. There were a large number of deaelrs there carrying comics from brand new to golden age as well as a plethora of comic professionals- would sya they had about a dozen guests- none of them big name and I am guessing from the ones I talked to all somewhat local. The dealers for the most part came from MO< KS and OK- Joplin is not far from either. None of the dealers Italked to came from AR, whihc is surprising seeing as how AR is less than a half hour drive away. The dealers that came the furthest, myself, one guy from IA and a pair from MN were all also setting up at the Kansas City con a 2.5 hour drive north of Joplin the next day.

There was a steady crowd throughout the day, although about an hour before the 5PM closing it did start to thin out. I dont think they were keeping a count, since it was free to get in and no one appeared to be trying to get people to sign up for any typr of mailing list for next year's con. As far as sales go, they were about the same as one would expect at Planet ComicCon. I had done that several times in the past.