• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to begin with Thor...?

37 posts in this topic

So after watching 'The Incredible Hulk Returns', I find myself fascinated with Thor. I know very little about him outside of what was explained in the movie, so I'm asking you guys and gals: Where should I begin (reading) with Thor?

If you want to catch up with the early Silver Age stories and then go into the classic late Silver Age Kirby/Lee stories, then you can do it cheaply by buying the Essential Thors. I think they've printed about 4 volumes so far and if you don't mind black & white, they're superb value for money. (thumbs u

I concur that the Kirby beginning is "Essential", but if you want to dig in with real comics and aren't rich, pick up the Walt Simonson issues.

Good tip, the Simonson issues are very good though the artwork wasn't really my taste. Another good story arc was the "World Engine" story by Warren Ellis which ran from # 491 to 494.

Here's another cheaper way to go... borrowing my Thor slabs, cracking them out and reading them. :headbang:

That is so generous of you Tom. (worship)

Here's another cheaper way to go... borrowing my Thor slabs, cracking them out and reading them. :headbang:

That is so generous of you Tom. (worship)

lol

Actually most of my 83-125 set is raw and readable! :baiting:

Bah, your reverse psychology doesn't work on me. :makepoint:

Read JIM 83 - 110 or so to get familiar with characters and backgrounds, then go to Walt's run from 337 on. Classic saga.

:o But that would be missing out on the excellent late SA stuff. The early stories introduced a lot of the characters but once the series hit it's stride, the stories got much more in depth and the characters were fleshed out rather than just relying on "villain of the month" issues.

So after watching 'The Incredible Hulk Returns', I find myself fascinated with Thor. I know very little about him outside of what was explained in the movie, so I'm asking you guys and gals: Where should I begin (reading) with Thor?

Thor 155-157 is just a classic read. Then, from 160-169 is a lot of great reading as well. You get an Ego and Galactus battle, and an expanded origin of Galactus in issue 168.

Thor 147-149 gives us a Loki/Thor battle that leads Odin to get wizzed off and take away all the powers of Thor, Sif, Balder, and Loki which leads to the origin of The Wrecker, one of Thors gallery of baddies. Then Thor goes on to battle The Wrecker, only on natural strength for 2 issues.

The picture frame issues, 193-205 (i think) are also excellent reading. You have a Surfer crossover (same month as Avengers 93 :cloud9:) and then another Ragnarok arc.

So, basically, from THor 126 up there isnt much not to like :banana:

For a couple of bucks an issue, you can get reprints of nearly all Thor stories in Journey Into Mystery, starting with these reprints of his first two appearances:

MT1.jpg

MT3sale.jpg

If you are selling those for a couple bucks an issue. :takeit:

Thor is by far Kirby's best work (although there were quite a few issues in the early part of the run that he didn't do). I know I've said this often but it bears repeating that Kirby enjoyed drawing that stuff the most.

Enjoy!