• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Shaprie pen Colour Touch Up question...

46 posts in this topic

Lloyd (yes, it is me and I am apparently idiotic but that makes no never-mind now) but I have to ask, what is your intent with the book?

I know you are interested in getting it signed. Is it for your collection? (which I assume.)

If so, you can go two ways: leave it alone and get it in some kind of CGC Apparant/Sig Series label (if such a thing exists) or have some small pieces removed from the book to get an unrestored CGC Sig yellow label. Ultimately your personal bias to either scenario is what counts.

Now you know that the magic marker/sharpie syndrome would require cutting out a bit of the book. If you are OK with that then I would say go for it. If you plan to sell in the future I would say to reveal that piece of the book's history.

Beyond that, it really is up to you.

Why not just buy a different book (shrug)

Seems a lot to do about a book that even after being signed will have very little value. I can understand if it were a childhood book, but Lloyd is not that old.

Thanks guys :)

It was a good price Joey, and I was checking if there was something I could do -- because I was naive I guess. It's not that a label really matters, but I think through time, it would start to irritate me... It's not a childhood book, nope... but it's always been my all time fave Spidey cover and Mysterio is one of my favorites so I wanted to try and make it work.

...I'm wondering, if I got it removed and worst case scenario (I had to remove the CT completely) then what grade would this make the book? I know it's hard to tell form the picture, but opinions would be great :) a 5.5 maybe?

If the book is priced right I would just buy it and keep it raw. I think people are too willing to do anything to a book for a blue label and thats a shame. I would say if you are the type of person that doesn't want a purple label book than you should not buy those books period.

Thanks guys :)

It was a good price Joey, and I was checking if there was something I could do -- because I was naive I guess. It's not that a label really matters, but I think through time, it would start to irritate me... It's not a childhood book, nope... but it's always been my all time fave Spidey cover and Mysterio is one of my favorites so I wanted to try and make it work.

...I'm wondering, if I got it removed and worst case scenario (I had to remove the CT completely) then what grade would this make the book? I know it's hard to tell form the picture, but opinions would be great :) a 5.5 maybe?

This issue is infamous for having CT. The black spine showed every little crease and was just begging for CT. I too have a copy of this book with CT. I bought it in 1992 for 250.00. In 1992 there was no disclosure, I didn't even know about CT. Years later I noticed the bleed. I love this cover and have kept my copy all these years.

If you choose to purchase it I would not scrape out the CT. You would have to pay a professional and it's possible there is more resto than you have noticed.

I know this is a little :signofftopic: but since talk of Stan Lee sig came up I wondered, do you have to catch him at a major con or can you send books to him to have them signed?

Talk to somebody in the signature series forum (down the hall) as they do Stan Lee signings all the time.

Colour :sumo:

I spell it the same way.

It's my US made spell check for Mozilla that doesn't.

And I thought you were a proof-reading kind of guy :cry:

Learning that you use spell check is like finding out your wife's 38DDs are silicone.