• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this an Example of Shill Bidding on Ebay? I don't know how to interpret this.

32 posts in this topic

So besides informing the FBI, what should I do about this? I mean really.

There's four bids now, who knows how many more.

Their About Me page says how they start all auctions at $0.17 with no reserve.

Should I put up with this? What would you do?

if you have a problem suspecting someone of shill bidding their auctions and it doesn't sit comfortably with you then don't bid. Or put in your highest amount you're willing to pay and leave it. If he does shill it up to that price, you were willing to pay it anyway.

No. Go with Gav's suggestion. If you have shilling concerns like I always do since I'm paranoid then just use bidrobot and forget about it.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=310203519893

Fun fun. This person has now used 3 IDs to shill this auction.

It probably wouldn't concern me too much (I'm happy with the price). It's just that I contacted the seller in advance discussing delivery options. I take it a bit personally that they would do this "behind my back".

But really - there probably isn't too much that takes the excitement out of looking forward to an item - than knowing the seller is double-crossing you.

But really - there probably isn't too much that takes the excitement out of looking forward to an item - than knowing thinking the seller is double-crossing you.

Yes, because of all the concrete evidence. :eyeroll:

But really - there probably isn't too much that takes the excitement out of looking forward to an item - than knowing thinking the seller is double-crossing you.

Yes, because of all the concrete evidence. :eyeroll:

There is very little evidence that is literally concrete.

Did you look at the bid history? 20 bids? For that?

Would this make the criteria of beyond a reasonable doubt? Probably.

In principle shill bidding sucks.

In practice, how much time and effort are you going to waste on a $26 item (or a $13 difference)?

My time is worth money and at other times it's valued as priceless by others.

(shrug)

I don't think anybody (FBI or any police force) is going to waste their time on an auction like this.

Hi folks

I haven't been involved in a competitive auction on Ebay in years. I don't know how to interpret stuff anymore.

So what is going on with the above auction??

It looks like shilling except the amounts are so cheesy and the final price has not been pushed up to an unreasonable amount. So, it could very easily just be a couple guys who only buy from that one seller trying to get a deal.