• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 2 years of trying - I have done a Wacky Package for Topps-Image Added

145 posts in this topic

And of course the expensive set is sold out. :(

You can have mine for $250. :baiting:

Seriously, I assume many of these were purchased for resale by people who couldn' t care less about wacky packs. There were only 250. I'd expect to see the on Ebay within a week.

Congrads Matt (thumbs u

You join a hallowed group of artists.

I used to work at Topps in Bush Terminal Brooklyn, doing paste-ups during the 70's. I think I met Norm Saunders a few times, at least that's the name that seems to ring a bell. He was painting Wacky Packages, so it's stands to reason it was he.

They had a giant store room with old artwork and press proofs. Me and a few of the guys used to go into the store room when we had a break working late nights, and look at the stuff stored in there.

We found some old drawings by Basil Wolverton and Jack Davis and some other old time artists I forget.

There was also some amazing trading card proof sheets - the one that stands out is the one sheet in the stack of the Beatles B&W trading card set.

I worked on the 1 & 2nd series Star Wars cards myself.

I wonder what happened to all the stuff in that giant storeroom?

Again, congrads man.

Bob

Congrads Matt (thumbs u

You join a hallowed group of artists.

I used to work at Topps in Bush Terminal Brooklyn, doing paste-ups during the 70's. I think I met Norm Saunders a few times, at least that's the name that seems to ring a bell. He was painting Wacky Packages, so it's stands to reason it was he.

They had a giant store room with old artwork and press proofs. Me and a few of the guys used to go into the store room when we had a break working late nights, and look at the stuff stored in there.

We found some old drawings by Basil Wolverton and Jack Davis and some other old time artists I forget.

There was also some amazing trading card proof sheets - the one that stands out is the one sheet in the stack of the Beatles B&W trading card set.

I worked on the 1 & 2nd series Star Wars cards myself.

I wonder what happened to all the stuff in that giant storeroom?

Again, congrads man.

Bob

How cool! I loved the Star Wars sets as a kid too! It would have been great to be part of the "Bullpen" I'd imagine.

The store room is probably now the "Topps Vault" they auction off everything you could think of, original art, proofs, printing plates, uncut sheets, you name it!

I wonder if they missed a few Star Trek trading card sheets hm

Yeah, it was fun, but it was also a very gritty and grimy old place to work. The guy who was the big-cheese was named Saul I think, he had a bum arm I recall, and he used to brag to me about him working on the old Popeye cartoons. I never did manage to find anything out about him though. There was an amazing amount of stuff in the art file room. I remember finding some weird creatures drawn by Basil Wolverton stashed away in there and also Jack Davis cards too. I can't remember the others. I seemed to recall hiding my initials in a line drawing I did that was used on the back of the Star Wars cards - I think the 2nd series. I don't know if it made it into the printing.

argh! Still haven't gotten mine yet! :frustrated:

What sketch did you get? Have a scan?

I knew these sold out really fast, but am shocked at what the first ones on ebay have been doing. So far the gaggin strips card is selling for $30-$40, and the set of artist bios is going for $30, so just there it's almost double what the set cost! Pretty Amazing! No sketch card has gone up for sale yet.

argh! Still haven't gotten mine yet! :frustrated:

What sketch did you get? Have a scan?

I knew these sold out really fast, but am shocked at what the first ones on ebay have been doing. So far the gaggin strips card is selling for $30-$40, and the set of artist bios is going for $30, so just there it's almost double what the set cost! Pretty Amazing! No sketch card has gone up for sale yet.

photo-168.jpg